RC Competitor

2.8 wheel options

I want to get 2.8 truck tires for my slash i lean into bashing on grass and dirt and am on budget I don't mind getting good wheels but they have to be good if I'm going to spend 70 bucks on a 4 set.

Proline Trenchers and Badlands seem to be the tire of choice for 2.8s. I ran both in 2.2/3.0, for all terrain, recommend Trenchers. For loose dirt and grass, Badlands. Both are running around $36 for a set, premounted.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Ok... How do they hold up to a 2400kv on 3s u think? I have the funny car motor w/ vxl 3s

Your gonna strain the ESC. Might aswell get a 120a esc to save money and keep the old system good
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

RC Competitor
    Ya it's a little bit got when I run it... So u think 120a hobby wing and mashers maybe @zypher

The 120A will at least do the motor justice.
    "Gone racing"

RC Competitor
    Does a 120a give it more power?

With any change to the drive train (tires included), you need to evaluate motor temps for the first pack or so to see how well your ESC/motor like it, or don't like it. The best place to start is with your current system, how hot is it running under normal use? If it is around 160*/f, you will need to change your gearing/system to run 2.8s without frying your motor. If you are running 120-130*/f, you like can put 2.8s on, and see what it does to your temps.

RC Competitor
    I don't know my temps I don't have a temp gun. But if I run it hard I can't touch the esc and motor is warm. I have the 4 pole vxl w/ the 2400kv castle/traxxas motor and 18/54 gearing with the 2.8 stampede wheels. So the motor is a warm but the esc is hot... I do think I am putting a lot of strain on the esc know i thinking about it. And for that motor to shine it does need a 3s ( 4s for speed runs) to shine so I guess I should look into another esc?

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, recommend picking up one of their temp guns for about $12. It might be off by a degree or two, but it is accurate enough.