RC Qualifier

Differential help

I have been running the Traxxas stock differential in the stock tranny case and another in a FLM case. Now that I have put my Diff n a new RPM gearbox, after a few runs I noticed that there is A LOT of grease coming out of the gear box at the axle shafts. It's the same black grease that's in my diff. Could this just be a leaking differential from age? It has never done this before. Or could it be that I put too much grease in the diff? Anyway, I plan on taking it out and seeing what's up.
    Philippians 4:13 HCSB

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post
    I have been running the Traxxas stock differential in the stock tranny case and another in a FLM case. Now that I have put my Diff n a new RPM gearbox, after a few runs I noticed that there is A LOT of grease coming out of the gear box at the axle shafts. It's the same black grease that's in my diff. Could this just be a leaking differential from age? It has never done this before. Or could it be that I put too much grease in the diff? Anyway, I plan on taking it out and seeing what's up.

Probably a combination of both.

RC Qualifier
    Could it be that since it doesn't have that gaping hole in the bottom and the rpm plastic is much stronger than the traxxas that with the heat building up it actually pushes the grease out.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    Could it be that since it doesn't have that gaping hole in the bottom and the rpm plastic is much stronger than the traxxas that with the heat building up it actually pushes the grease out.
    More than likely...i have a stock case with a stock diff and it used to spit so much grease out of the seam of the transmission case that i recently have been putting a thin bead of silicone on the crack to prevent it...and since the last time i tore it apart and re-greased everything it has been pushing the black grease out through the bearings....im pretty sure my diff is getting pretty worn out...next upgrade is a brand new RPM tranny build

RC Qualifier
    Guys the only long term solution is a sealed diff downtown you were lucky that it never did it with the stock case, because it has always done for me.

I used to get a few runs with no grease squirting out, then in the next three runs or so the metal yokes would be covered in grease. That's when I knew it was time for a gearbox service.

As for sealed diffs, Hot Racing makes a cheap one that seems to work great as long as you build it right (seal the screws) Info from the Rustler/Bandit forum: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rential-review

Did you change the diff bearings? I noticed on both my rpm cases that when installing the new bearings,one side fell in easier than I liked, and the other side I had to press in.
    If you reused the flm bearings,that came out of an aluminum case,their probably shot. Some grease is normal to see coming out,that's why I change my diff bearings every week in the summer, after a hard two days of of racing in the dirt,I have grease build up behind my stock traxxas diffs axles, but not enough to see until I remove the axle shafts,but not the one with the sealed flm diff.Or the pro line trans with the sealed diff.
    And hows it look behind your slipper, at the bearing face.
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post
    Last edited by billy-bones; 02-01-2013 at 03:38 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    How much grease are you guys using? Only need a light coating on the gears. No need to fill up the entire gearbox...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    I'm talking about in the differential. I only put a small amount of white lithiun on the gears in the box.

I'm wondering if he is using old lose bearings?
    Once as a experiment,I took a stock traxxas diff,and packed it with supper thick ultra high temp wheel bearing grease to the point I had to blow out the screw holes to tighten them down. My purposes,was a mid evil attempt at a limited slip diff. Surprisingly enough,it actually worked for a bit. But even then I never had grease pushing out any more than the norm,just enough to hold dirt and sand on the outer bearing face.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    How much grease are you guys using? Only need a light coating on the gears. No need to fill up the entire gearbox...

RC Qualifier
    Could be a bad diff. seal, @bigdodge The rpm gear case doesn't insulate heat like the stock traxxas 1 does, it actually keeps it pretty cooler

Stock slash diff seal
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Could be a bad diff. seal, @bigdodge The rpm gear case doesn't insulate heat like the stock traxxas 1 does, it actually keeps it pretty cooler

RC Qualifier
    doesn't the stock slash have sealed diff. cups?

Nope,that's why they use grease ,not fluid.
    But you can do it.
    http://www.competitionx.com/new-to-r...-differential/
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    doesn't the stock slash have sealed diff. cups?

RC Qualifier
    does the 4x4 have that stock??? but alright thanks I'll look into that

RC Qualifier
    2wd diff is not sealed at all. 4x4's are sealed.

I canceled my 4x4 order,but I heard most people stay with the slipper on their 4x4's,true or false?in your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    2wd diff is not sealed at all. 4x4's are sealed.

RC Qualifier
    I do not know what most people run on their 4x4's but I would bet the slipper. 3 diffs on one truck is a lot to maintain . I like the challenge of the 2wd I have a few 4x4's ( not slashes ) but they sit a lot one is vintage ( scared I will break something and not be able to find parts to fix it) the other is just not as fun I think. And non of them have center diffs.

If you want to seal your stock diff here is a proven method.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116675

RC Qualifier
    Well not sure if this was the problem or not, but I was looking at the instructions on the new differential, and it says that the two notches on the cover are different sizes, to make sure that you match them up correctly. I never knew that! It appeared to go together fine. Oh well, just in case, on the new diff I didn't put too much grease in it and also smeared a small amount of silicone on the seal. Hopefully this will fix it.