RC poster

Which prop and from where?

Reading the archives here it looks like most people are running the Octura 440. Which version of this is better, 2 blades or 3 blades? Also, it looks like I need a new shaft or a shaft adapter... which one of these do I need?

Finally, where is the best/cheapest place to get this from?

thanks!
    - a frustrated newbie vee owner....

RC Competitor

Which Prop and Where From

I bought my Octura X440 from Fine Design Marine, http://www.finedesignrc.com. I am not sure who is the cheapest, most of them are comparable. You'll need the conversion shaft to install the prop. I modified the Octura shaft and the Traxxas strut to use ball bearing instead if the bronze bushings. The stock bushings elongate pretty fast and cause the prop to vibrate. I also use the tail nut as a lock nut and it hasn't come loose yet. A drive dog comes with the conversion shaft, so don't buy one. Theese item codes are for Fine Design Marine:

x440 Prop #Ox440
    conversion shaft # OCGCSS
    tail nut #OC6PNMM
    Last edited by Shannon SC; 10-31-2002 at 07:37 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks.. Did you get the 440 with 2 or 3 blades? I see both versions available...

RC Qualifier
    get the 2 blade a 3 will be to much for the n-vee and dont forget to balence the prop!
    If you hit a polar bear u win the game!

RC Competitor
    Tmaxxkid is right, get the 2 blade. Even it is a little too much for the stock .15 Pro. My Vee got faster with the x440 2 blade, but the engine does'nt rev as high any more. I think that it ran out of torque, just too much prop pitch diameter. I'll try 20% nitro fuel next weekend and then some minor porting.

RC Qualifier
    Get a 637 prop too. It gets a little more top end speed because it has less drag than the 440. I hav both and if I could only get 1 I would get the 637.
    Surfer
    *Traxxas Nitro Vee *OFNA 9.5
    *Traxxas T-Maxx *Team Associated NTC3
    *ProBoat MissBudwieser *HPI Savage

RC Competitor
    The 637 has the same pitch (1.4) as the x440 but has a 3 MM smaller diameter. The 637 produces less thrust than the x440 at the same RPM. It is really a trade off, if I can't get the RPMs back with the new header and 20% nitro, I will cut my x440 down to 38 MM and reshape the tips. Don'd forget, any prop mods must be well balanced and symetrical. I also put ball bearings in the strut to reduce friction on the prop shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    I have ran both 440,442 I like the 440 because the engine ran right at peak power curve. how ever since I loss my 440 to the bottom of the gulf of mexico
    I tryed 442 and the nitro v jumps out of the water with out high rpm rev getting on plain. rember to notch you prop shaft going into u-joint or you may
    loose a prop and shaft like me. after spending two hours balancing and shining its not a happy feeling. I have yet to try a 637 maybe this week end

RC Enthusiast
    Just a side note I installed bearing into my hole drive line and picked up performance all over the board and the drive line noise is all gone. its a great mod just rember to lube them when your done for the day bearings and water
    done mix very well

RC Enthusiast
    Octura props are (4 series = 1.4 pitch) and (6 series has 1.6 pitch)

RC Competitor

How can prop come off without tailnut

Shannon said the prop can come off without a tailnut,(I have heard this before),how are you guys losing props,doesn't the prop direction naturally keep it on?Since there is no reverse,I assume it shouldn't be happening.Also Shannon,how did you modify for the strut bearing (to replace the bushing),where did you get the bearing and what size?Its a really good idea.

RC Enthusiast
    They can come off but it is when you shut down after running hard it can be pulled off from the force and no foward thrust.

Alot of guys only use fuel tubing slid over the shaft.

I would never run without a nut...I put too much in to my props to take that chance. I like the streamlined nut from octura but I have used wheel collars too behind the prop.

RC Competitor
    3zz

Any threaded hardware can loosen when subjected to vibration, no matter what direction a part rotates. The prop drive dog is locked to the drive shaft by the grub screw and therefore takes any rotational forces from prop, the nut just keeps the drive dog and prop properly engaged. I am using the tail nut as a jam nut to lock the hex nut. I also use blue Locktite on all threaded hardware.

The ball bearings for my strut came from the R/C car and truck repair bench at the local hobby shop. I would guess that some R/C vehicle uses this 4 mm ID x 8 MM OD x 3mm wide bearings. If you can't find them, let me know and I will try to help. I had to bore into the strut housing about 2 mm with a 5/16 drill bit rotated in my fingers. If you need more details, send me an e-mail because my answers are too long for the forum boards.

RC Enthusiast
    Tower sells those bearings...4X8 they mostly fit in the ABC boats and even some other Kyosho, etc. Mainly because the use 4mm shafts. I also use loctite on most all my screws and set screws. Never lost anything yet and it has been 3 years doing this and running hard and fast.

RC Competitor

Bearings for the Prop Shaft

I was reading posts on the TRX .15 board about porting and found and this one.

“You can get the better performing bearings for the TRX.15 too. http://www.bocabearings.com/.com stocks all the bearings you would ever need. The better bearings seal better and have less rolling resistance to reduce parasitic drag on the crank.”

I went to the web site and found the bearings (MR84ZZ) that go into the strut for the prop shaft. Their toll free number is on the web site. You call them for price and availability.