RC poster

Unhappy Electrics wet... dead?

As I was pulling my vee back in, it slipped off the deck and into the water. It was in the water for probably just a second or two, but it filled with water and I immediately turned it over to drain it out.

I then checked everything out and the electronics were completely dead, no response on the steering or throttle...

So I first started the engine and got that running ok. I used the ex-start so that motor is fine. I also pushed the RTS switch closed to make sure that motor works as well... and it does.

So, after bringing it home I took apart the receiver and dried it out with a hair dryer. I'm pretty sure the receiver is the issue becasue when I plug in the battery and servos they do their little power on glitch, but no response to anything from the transmitter.

Is there anything I can do to revive this receiver? Should I just wait longer to see if it dries out anymore?

Anything else I should do?

thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Did you open up the reciever and servos by taking of the back 4 screws, If not do it and then dry them with a hair dryer. Them let them sit under a light for atleast 24 hours. Look on the board that you can see on the reciever when you take of the cover. Is there a white powder on it. If so then your reciever has battery acid on it. I'm not talking about the wax looking stuff. Se off the powder and see if it works then. If not then you'll have to get a new reciever.
    Surfer
    *Traxxas Nitro Vee *OFNA 9.5
    *Traxxas T-Maxx *Team Associated NTC3
    *ProBoat MissBudwieser *HPI Savage

RC poster
    Yep.. that did it.. .many thanks. I did take it apart and used a hair dryer to dry it but it still didnt work. I just let it sit in the sun for several hours and when I just tested it, it worked.

thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear that your reciever worked. Mine got wet one time and I had to get a new one because of the battery acid.
    Surfer

RC poster

Question

Just curious as to how you got battery acid in the reciever.

I have just bought a can of plasti dip and a tube of silicon to do all the electrics in the boat. I have removed the plastic protection tray and coated the inside with epoxy resin. Much easier to clean out now. I toyed with the idea of putting the electrics inside a plastic box but can't seem to see how I could fit it in.

KenM
    It probably wasn't battery acid that got on the reciever. It was moisture or water, the white powder is corrosion which is also caused by battery acid. But the problem is most probaly solder,which contains lead and is very corrosive.

RC Qualifier
    When water comes in contact with battery acid it produces that white powder.
    Surfer

KenM

lead

When lead is exposed to water it starts corrosion, and when battery acid is exposed to lead the corrosion happens even faster. If you think it was possibly battery acid from alkaline batteries(which are the none rechargable kind)think about at least Ni-Cad batteries which does not have battery acid. And you will save alot of money on batteries.

RC Enthusiast
    I always put my rec. in a balloon.

Use Areotrneds aeroplate and spray in your servos and rec. It works. You can get it at rummrunnerracing.com or go to the Aerotrend website.

RC Qualifier
    Use Areotrneds aeroplate and spray in your servos and rec. It works. You can get it at rummrunnerracing.com or go to the Aerotrend website.
    By your other posts, I take you like that stuff.LOL
    Surfer