Thread: Battery Charge

RC Competitor

Battery Charge

Is there any way to totally discharge my batteries after I use them and before I charge them to prolong their life? If I run them down all the way in my Villain, things get way to hot.

RC Qualifier
    Deans Dis-charge bar. Buy one, then run the batteries until the lights are barely lit up (hardly glowing). That is the best way to do it. Also, you will have to change over the connector (depending on what type you have). Enjoy
    A wise man once said:
    "It is better to have raced and lost than to have never raced at all!"

RC Champion
    Just run it down until it wont go anymore...let the batteries rest about 10 min and run them again until it wont go. Thats what I do.

RC Enthusiast
    Go to the store and buy you 8-10 #1157 auto bulbs.

Solder a wire (I used some stripped copper from home wiring) and solder this down the side (-) and then one across the bottom contacts (+) then add a connector.

Only bring your packs down to where the lights are very dim but not out.

Each bulb is about 2 amps so you are discharging at 16 amps for 8 bulbs and 20 amps for 10 bulbs.

You might want to get a cut off device so if you forget you won't damage the cells of reverse them.

This is common to do with NICD. I am about to swtich to NIHI and you have no memory problems.

RC Enthusiast
    RC-Dude...that is about the worse thing you can do if the boat is still in the water...the amps and heat is a killer after you top charge goes down...that is when you should get it off the water anyway.

That method is very hard on the ESC and motor.

You could spin it on low out of the water but not with a load.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Jeff Wohlt
    RC-Dude...that is about the worse thing you can do if the boat is still in the water...the amps and heat is a killer after you top charge goes down...that is when you should get it off the water anyway.

That method is very hard on the ESC and motor.

You could spin it on low out of the water but not with a load.
    Just in case anyone else gets confused (like I did at first) about what this post means, he is referring to running the batteries completely dead by drving the boat around in the water...

Also Jeff, you could not run the batteries all the way down with the boat in the water because the ressitance of the water on the props would prevent the motors from spinning long before you actually got the batteries fully drained of thier life. So if you did this, you would not fully drain the batteries and slowly kill the batteries.
    A wise man once said:

RC Enthusiast
    And you can, in short time, cook an ESC or cells.

You can run them down like this but sounds like you are talking about totally discharging them...which at that point you need a small bulb for each cell to drop it or a battery discharge tray.

I just did that to my packs with a small bulb and amazing how much more juice is left in some than others.

Best method is lights or discharger.

RC Qualifier
    Jeff Wohlt is right.

As far as the battery bars. A deans Dis-charge bar is exactly what Jeff Wohlt described, just put together in a nice little package for you. They offer them assembled or unassembled. But instead of buying the unassembled one, you could also save money, and build your own, like Jeff Wohlt described.
    A wise man once said: