RC Qualifier

Lawn mower 'hop ups'

Hi, i have a 18.5 hp craftsman rider, I want to get it to go faster... WITHOUT removing the goviner, It has hydrostatic drive (no clue what that means) and i want it to go faster, it spins the wheels when launching hard, but only tops out at around 8 mph, and that isnt fast enough for me , i want it to go AT LEAST 12 mph... and please TRY to keep the mods down, to around 50 bux or so... Thanks,Nate
    freeway 105mph -kinda fun
    backroad 110mph -REALLY fun
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Champion
    hmm wow i never thought i would see a post like this, well first things first is it a horzontal shaft engine?
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races

RC Qualifier
    i dunno, why?
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    If it is a hydrostat then I do not think it will be that easy. Check to see if there is a place to adjust the hydraulic pressure and even more important the flow rate. Hydrostat means your engine is driving a hydraulic pump that sends fluid to a hydraulic motor. I think it would be pretty hard to change the gearing on this. Check to see if there is an output shaft with a chain to the rear axle. Maybe you can change a sprocket and get more speed. My tractor is a hydrostat and everything is internal on it. I think the only way I could increase speed is by adjusting the flow rate and pressure coming off the hydraulic pump.
    T Maxx and American mud, OH BOY!

RC Qualifier
    ahhh... i see...
    Do you know where i could get some solid, tall tires, (like more than 20 inches tall) that i could drill holes in... im thinking about the tires used on push lawn mowers... but super size... Any ideas?

Im not worried about axcaleration... It goes slow... but breaks the tires loose on wet pavement to around........... Ummmmmmmmmmmmm 5 mph or so (top speed of 8) so... Im looking for bigger tires, and that darn hardwere place aint cutting it, I asked if they had any large tires in the back room... and This lady said no... without even looking... or asking for that matter... T'd me off SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly... i gotta go now... so bye.
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    How much room is above the Hydrostat? a Hydrostat tranny is basically a hydraulic, a belt drives a pully that drives a little pump which drives the wheels. I dont know much abour craftsman mowers but I have a little john deere I geared down for blade work, You can do either of 2 things, you can remove the pully from the hydro, some are just bolted on, and buy a larger pully to bolt in its place. Or 2 you can weld a new pully that is larger on top of the original, then you might make your belt outof alignment so you would have to probably unbolt the rear axle and make a small spacer to place between the housing and the mower frame. This will mess up the hydrostat lever, it will be a little shorter but still work fine.
    i sOuport puBlik edekAshun

Msn: alexios85@hotmail.com

RC Qualifier
    how do you remove the governor?
    Been a while, hehe :)

RC Qualifier
    Most mowers you dont need to actually remove the governor assembly itself, I just took the slack throttle cable and routed it directly to the carburetor.

RC Qualifier
    well i no you can find the big tires at home depot
    anybody want a custom painted body? cheap prices here! check out my www and send me a pm or email at cash562@aol.com

looking for rc people to talk to on aol or aim- sn teamtrinity1 or cash562

RC Qualifier
    note to self... call home depo... Lol, and i dought that ill be able to weld, so ill just try to get a bigger Pullie when i find out if its bolted on, or welded on... Piece out and any more 'go fast' hop ups apreshiated... Nate
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

Re: Lawn mower 'hop ups'

Originally posted by benzboy
    Hi, i have a 18.5 hp craftsman rider, I want to get it to go faster... i want it to go AT LEAST 12 mph... and please TRY to keep the mods down, to around 50 bux or so... Thanks,Nate
    Don't forget, a slick paint job will increase speeds by at least 10mph!

Sadly, I'm selling this old, beat-up Toro because my dad bought a newer Craftsman. Too bad, because that thing was a hoot to drive.

Originally posted by benzboy
    It has hydrostatic drive (no clue what that means)
    Without hydrostatic drive, you'd have to clutch to switch gears. So basically, it's just a fancy way of saying "automatic transmission." My Craftsman has it too.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Qualifier
    yes... a auto... but with no gears, lol Im STILL looking for more hop ups that i can do inexpencivley, i have theese down so far...
    1bigger pullie thingie
    2bigger tires
    3change flow rate

Piece out... Nate
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    Hummm. the home depo is in like minisota... out of the state... Im gonna check if manards had som, do you know of a other place where you may be able to get some?
    Thanks... Nate
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a TSC (Tractor Suply Company) near you? They got everything you could ever want for a riding mower and more.

The mans got a point a good paint job will add at least 10mph. I have a custom painted mower, it is John Deere Industrial Yellow and the engine block is chrome. I spent last winter workin on it. Its a high maintenance paint job on that beast, it has cut grass 3 times in the last 6 months. Also look around for some new headlights, I bought a set to replace my lights on all 3 of my JD's. They make little automotive ones that rule, I used to be able to see 20ft in front of me, now I can see all the way across the yard, its like mowin in the day time. They tend to kill the battery pretty fast if you leave em on without it being started though.

RC Qualifier
    um K&N filter they increase your HP up to 25 hp lol um u could put a K&N filter on it they make them in like a million different sizes so they should make one to fit and a split fire spark plug lol theyre supposed to increase the HP.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Benjamin C
    how do you remove the governor?
    my grandpa's tractor is a manual, only goes like 6 or 8 according to the book, but it'll haul anything you attach to it at any speed.

RC Qualifier
    Running a good Split Fire plug in a Mower is useless. it wont give ya the same kinda power increase as it will a car engine. The Airfilter is easy though, pull off the sponge and you will gain some power. You can also get a ATV muffler to bolt on instead of the stock restrictive muffler. Also taking off the mower clutch will help a lot, but you will always have one huge power drag on a hydrostat mower. The Hydrostat robs a lot of HP. They are not an incredibly efficient design for speed but they are great for low speed when you dont need to pull a lot. Thats why one of the only other vehicles you will ever find that use it are Combines, Bulldozers and Excavators.

RC Champion
    My brother and I are currently making plans to install a stereo into our recently given Jhon Deere Lx270 something..got everything but that..it's fast enough for me...when i want speed i bust out the rc car and chase the dog..
    Brushless Ofna Mbx Pro

RC Qualifier
    What next ??? the vacum cleaner from the black lagoon LOL
    Lata Dayz
    the left lane is for slow drivers~~The Right lane is for faster drivers but the place on top of everyone's car is for maxxers who Don'T fell like sitting in Traffic.

RC Qualifier
    the vacume from the black lagoon??? wadd it look like? Any more hop ups, and the clutch is the break too... dont wanna remove that.

For hydrostats, do i hurt it if i dont push in the clutch when changing speed? I dont think its good to put it to full and let go of the clutch...

A baffled nate I know the answer is gonna make me feel stupid
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    dont mess with the governer cuz if u over rev the eingine your begging for trubly i did that witha 12 hp kohler and i blew the conecting rod in it many many pices cost like 300 all together to get it fixed anyhow hydrostatic tranmision isent realy auto matic it is moor of a verbal trany it works like a sink focet by letting moor fluid thrugh therefor increaceing the rpm of the turbine wich turns the wheels so think of it as gearing your car when your doing it there could b a pully set going into the pump or going out so think about that u realy could make it go 30 easy but u couldent cut grass that fast
    IN GOD WE TRUST

RC Qualifier
    off the subject a little, my grandpa has a really old 8hp tractor gravely it's like older than me, think that if i take apart everything, clean it all, change the gearing rebend the chassis and everything, that it would be worth making into a go kart?

RC Qualifier
    dont u touch that gravely just sell it to me i want one of those so bad for my colection
    IN GOD WE TRUST

RC Qualifier
    seriously? my grandpa's looking into selling it, he just can't find the owner's manual, if that doesn't matter, that would be great.

RC Qualifier
    Why dont you just put it on NOS lol

And put some huge speakers on it! lol

AE RC10T4 and Losi XXX-S. Im your master.

RC Qualifier
    Makeshift Nitrous for a lawnmower comes in 2 forms, ETHER and WD-40. I have used both with my deere's.

RC Racer
    Man this is the LAST place I ever expected to see someone wanting to speed up a riding mower!

The only thing you can do to get any noticable speed would be a pully change. I had an old Craftsman with a 12 hp engine about a year ago I modified. I basicly swapped ends with the pullys. My bro in law is a great welder.

We cut the center out of the rear pully and cut the front pully off of the shaft the bolts to the engines crankshaft. Switched them around and made some "modified belt guides".
    This mower was insanly fast! We bypassed the gov by connecting the throttle cable straight to the carb. And just for s and giggles we made an open exhaust system with conduit. It bolted to the exhaust port on the engine and ran straight out the back.

With the sloppy steering that is on most mowers....in 3rd gear you were all over the place. 4th gear and full throttle you could shear the keyways clean off of the rear axles. Throw mud about 10 feet or so into the air. I actually had the tire smoking once by driving up agianst the telephone poll in front of my house and leaning to the other side.

The full throttle with the gov bypassed took out a valve seat.No more fun with that motor.

I now have a MTD with a 12 hp engine that has a clutch pedel and a brake pedel. Not to crazy on speed for it due to the tractor tires on the rear. But it will climb darn near anything in it's way.

So...besides a pully change,not much more you can do.

If you can find a 12 hp and a 11 hp you can make a short stroker for more rpms!
    "You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me"

"It's all Tec!"
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289832995

RC Qualifier
    TTT, and do you think it would hurt anything to ram it to full, from a stop?
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC Qualifier
    not on my grandpa's craftsman, it has 19.5 hp. i had a leaf trailer attached to that thing, it had many leaves in it, and still had more room. i was getting tired of it going so slow, so i put it in sixth gear, and all it did was spin the wheels and take off, i tell ya, they make those things pretty strong nowadays. it has a gear system, no pulleys. it can't, cuz the pulley never slips. unless they make the pullies really strong and durable now too.

RC Qualifier
    ? for the week =

If i make the pullie 2 inches biger, how much longer would i have to make the belt???

Im gonna ask my math teacher, but ill only tell you guys if at LEAST 5, count them, 12345 guesses, if not, then ill have to leave you guys in suspece. and NO, you cant just guess 5 times, 5 different people gotta guess.

tgim

(cause tues day i get off later)
    Sister driving - DOCTOR

RC poster
    What size is the original pulley, and how long is the original belt?
    Last edited by Weekend Warrior; 11-26-2002 at 08:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    give me the length of the current belt, and the size of both pullies, and i'll give you how long the belt will be, not just how much longer it will be.

RC Qualifier
    Well my dad and I have a Poulan Pro 20 HP mower and in my neighborhoofd, we had drag races down about 1/10 of a mile long. I was racing against porbably 15 other people and i won...I beat every single person..

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    dont mess with the governer cuz if u over rev the eingine your begging for trubly i did that witha 12 hp kohler and i blew the conecting rod in it many many pices cost like 300 all together to get it fixed anyhow hydrostatic tranmision isent realy auto matic it is moor of a verbal trany it works like a sink focet by letting moor fluid thrugh therefor increaceing the rpm of the turbine wich turns the wheels so think of it as gearing your car when your doing it there could b a pully set going into the pump or going out so think about that u realy could make it go 30 easy but u couldent cut grass that fast
    the only reason you had that trouble with the 12 hp is because it's a kohler, they SUCK!!! i have a 19.5 hp briggs that i rev up to about 9 grand with no prob

Quote Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
    the only reason you had that trouble with the 12 hp is because it's a kohler, they SUCK!!! i have a 19.5 hp briggs that i rev up to about 9 grand with no prob
    Check the date on the thread man... you just bumped a thread that is almost 2 decades old. I doubt any of those posters even frequent these forums anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Check the date on the thread man... you just bumped a thread that is almost 2 decades old. I doubt any of those posters even frequent these forums anymore.
    Meh.... better late than never. Most of the posters on this thread last log-on dates are before I was a member... LOLzzz
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post

You're correct, the latest activity date for any of them was 10-29-2011....Yeah, I'm bored!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd