RC Enthusiast

Glow Plug Choices?

Nobody seems to carry (back ordered) the 3231 plug.

I found the 3230 and it says is a hotter plug than the 3231 and more perfromance. I did not know what to do...so I bought a couple.

Will they work? What can I expect? Or should I not run them?

I have over a gallon of fuel through mine and the plug is still working.

Do perfoamnce fall off as plugs get used or do they either work or not?

Thanks for any info.

Performance can fall off with a used plug. Hard starting, inconsitent idle, and stalling are some symptoms of a worn plug. Plugs can be "read" just like automotive plugs. Coloration, element condition, ect are all indicators of your plugs condition. You can use the hotter plug that you purchased. Here are a few replacements you may find easier to get. McCoy MC-8, MC-9, and MC-59 plugs. These are long plugs just like Traxxas plugs and they work great (at least I've had great luck with them).

RC Qualifier
    does traxxas make a hot plug,somethin for colder weather?

RC Enthusiast
    Can a person even buy the stock plug that comes in it...and what is it?

So anyone else running the 3230? Is the 3230 a long plug and the stock one a short plug or what?

Thanks,

3231 and 3230 are both Traxxas standard long plugs the 3231 is a heavy duty plug.
    Either of those plugs will work.

The amount of nitro% usually dictates which plug to use.

A cold plug like the MC-9 is recommended for fuel with a nitro % content of 25% or more.

The MC-59 is more for use with Low to Medium Nitro Fuels like 10 - 25%

I will use either the Traxxas 3231 Heavy Duty standard long plug, the Traxxas 3230 Standard long plug or the MC-59 and I use PowerMaster 25%.

So to sum it up, each manufacturer has temp range standards on each of their plugs.
    Hot, Medium, Cold or other in some cases.
    The less nitro% in the fuel the hotter the plug type should be.

OS plugs are a standard short plug and are not a recommeded plug to use in place of a standard long plug.
    They will work, but you may see a decrease in performance.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left

RC Enthusiast
    Excellent, Oval. I appreciate it. I just did not want to hurt this thing since it is doing so well for me.

Guess I did well getting over a gallon of fuel through it without plug problems...it still runs but I figure I should change them anyway.

RC Qualifier
    So the MC-59 is better than the OS for the Traxxas .15? I just bought some OS A-3 plugs and have been running the A-8's. Performance is lacking a bit, maybe this is why? Is the MC-59 the plug you use Ovalqueen? Anyone?
    Whats Your Hobby?

RC Qualifier
    I've used the MC-59's since I got my .15 18 months ago and they've been great and long-lasting. I replaced the stock plug after break-in (as recommended) and put in the MC-59. Fired right up and is running good. These seem to work well with both motors for me.
    <>< Kevin Davis ><>
    www.beartoothrc.com

RC poster
    My HobbyTown salesman recommended an O. S. No 8 Glow Plug for my T-Maxx 2.5, due to arrive tomorrow. Is this plug ok
    JIM

Originally posted by thunderbyte
    So the MC-59 is better than the OS for the Traxxas .15? I just bought some OS A-3 plugs and have been running the A-8's. Performance is lacking a bit, maybe this is why? Is the MC-59 the plug you use Ovalqueen? Anyone?
    OS plugs are shorter, what this does is increase the combustion area whaich can decrease perfomance.
    The MC59 is a long plug like the recommended length of the Traxxas plugs.
    I have only used an OS plug in my 2.5 when I did not have the correct length plug.
    If it is all you can get, don't complain about tuning issues or lack of performance.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left