RC Racer

MRC Superdud 959

OK, I posted a similar thread before about my Superbrain getting fried twice......well, now it is the third time. I am done with the MRC Superbrain 959.

When I plug a battery in, no matter what type, it reads 5V. When I push the start button i just says "Err".

I am giving up on this charger. I have sent it back to MRC twice already and will not send it back a third.

I just purchased this charger by Duratrax:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=7

does anyone know anything about it? It sounds like a decent charger other than only being able to charge at 3amps on AC which is no big deal to me. I will be using it gernrally for my transmitter/reciever packs and occassionally the reg. packs. It has a lot of features for the price. Any input would be appreciated.

I currently have a Duratrax intellipeak charger that is absolutely awesome----no problems and works great. I am getting the Duratrax Piranha as a back up.
    Last edited by dudnone; 02-11-2003 at 02:14 AM.
    Nitro 4-Tec, T-Maxx 2.5, Elec. Stampede, Elec. Rus

It might be you or your batts & not the charger. I haven't had any probs at all with my 959. But it will not charge a pack with a reversed cell & just reads "Err". But when I put the same pack on my Piranha Peak charger, it will charge up the bad pack. The pack is still bad & will discharge itself because of the bad cell. Also, if you charge more than 3 packs consecutively, the 959 can get hot & if you keep doing more packs you risk overheating the charger. I'm sure MRC didn't send it back to you in this condition. Something you are doing or your batts is most likely causing the problem & if you can't figure it out after 3 trys, I guess another charger is the best thing for you.

RC Qualifier
    I would agree with razer. the 959 is one of the best chargers out there for the $$$$$. I will buy it from you depending on how old it is if you do not want it anymore.

How old is it.?

What shape(a picture would be nice)?
    whoo back in action....It's been too long.

RC Champion

error message

That error message is pretty annoying, isn't it? I would try a different pack in the 959 before you give up on it. I too have had packs that were too discharged or in some other way funky and the 959 wouldn't play. The most common reason for that ERR message is pulling off a battery that isn't done yet. However, simply pluggin it back in or using a different battery should have fixed that. Please let us know what happens as there seem to be a bunch of us happy with this unit!

RC Racer
    I've tried all my batteries on it and I get the same reading, 5V when plugged in and Err when i press start. It is not the batteries, they are all fine. I never used any custom set ups on it. I always just pressed start. I never overheated it, only used it to charge 1 battery. I use my Duratrax Intellipeak for heavy charging. Each time the charger died on me it was a different thing. It is only 8mos. old. The problems I had with it were:

1. first time, when I plugged in a battery, the charger would do nothing. I returned it to MRC. They did not say anything about the charger (problem) and sent me a brand new one.

2. The second one caught fire. I sent it back and was charged only 7.00 to get it fixed.

3. reads 5V and I get "Err" message.

I have 2 protech chargers (10+ years old), astroflight charger, and The Duratrax Intellipeak....never had any problems with them.
    Nitro 4-Tec, T-Maxx 2.5, Elec. Stampede, Elec. Rus

RC Qualifier
    i have that duratrax charger, but i run it off of a car battery so i can charge my 3000 at 5 amps. it has atendency to false peak, but that was when i was charging a battery at three times it's rating. so i now charge the battery at twice it's rating, let it peak, and then repeak it at its rating. and just curiously, what should my peak detection setting be at? the manual says like 8 m/v for nimh and 7m/v for nicd's. but it seems to false peak at those settings, so i just charge everything with a 3 m/v setting. is this bad for my batts? what does this setting even do? it is overall a great charger, my only complaint is that the battery leads are only like six inches long.