RC Competitor

Angry A/C not working in truck.

I am really mad because the A/C is not working in my truck. It is a 2000 Dodge, and it the warrenty was just up on Good Friday, so now I am hot in my truck. The compresser kicks on and off so I know that is working, but it must be low from what a lot of people have told me. My question is should I take it to sombody to have it checked or should I just let my brother put in a can of freeon and see if it works. Is there a difference in just adding the freeon by the can or is it better to let a dealer do it with one of those big machines and use what they call a vacaum on it, I don't know what to do. Should I pay the extra money for a dealer to do it or just get the can of freeon and do it. Help I am really stuck here, any help or ideas is a big help thank you.
    Don't Get Dead, Put The Wet Stuff On The Red Stuff

RC Champion
    your hvac fan probely went out on it either that or you need some freeon
    Dirt is for racing,
    Asphalt is for getting there.

RC Competitor

I think its called R3G4 or something now?

yeah, if you use the AC alot the R3G4 (Freeon?) will run out, its about $40.00 to have your system tested and then like the same for it to be filled, so about $80.00 at a good garage, DONT go to dealer unless you want to have to replace the whole motor, and this and that,!
    05 YFZ450se Many dead rc's-Still waiting for liquid-cooled efi nitro engines that actually work all the time

RC Competitor
    It sounds like your low on Freon (R134a) there is a pressure switch in the suction (low) side that senses if the pressure is too low to protect the compressor. Before you turn on the air conditioner the pressure is equal on both the low and high sides of the system and the switch is closed, once the compressor is engaged the pressure on the low side drops as it is being compressed into a liquid in the high side, if the Freon level is too low the switch will open and turn off the compressor. Both sides start to equalize and the compressor kicks back on. And the cycle continues.

Unless your AC has a sight glass (an approximately 3/8” diameter glass somewhere around the dryer) in it. I would recommend taking it to someone with at least a set of manifolds/gauges and a Freon leak detector (sniffer) They shouldn’t have to vacuum your system unless they have to open the sealed system up to replace something.

An AC system is nothing but a ratio of high pressure to low pressure in a sealed system. So if you just add a pound of Freon you might have enough pressure to keep the switch closed but the ratio could be off and either cause the cooling coil to freeze up, not letting any air to pass through the coil. Or the coil could not get cold enough!

I used to hear people say they put an extra pound of Freon in just make it colder. Guess what? They usually decreased the high to low ratio and the cooling efficiency.
    Last edited by HiTechRdNeck; 05-03-2003 at 07:56 AM.
    If your dad ask "Do I Look Stupid?" Don't Answer!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the Topic Review there HiTechRdNeck that helps out a lot the way you explaned it, I am going to take it to a garage on Monday after work if I have time and see if they have the gauges and what not to fix it up. Thanks to everyone who has replyed.
    Don't Get Dead, Put The Wet Stuff On The Red Stuff