RC Qualifier

Aluminum vs Plastic weight information

As a Design Engineer, I design my machines in Inventor, a 3-D Parametric package. I was drawing some components for my Rustler and when I assigned the material to them I noticed something, for a 1/4" x 2" x 2" piece: Just thought I would pass this in case there are people are thinking that aluminum is lighter than plastic. Aluminum is stronger per pound.

Aluminum = .098 lbs.
    UHMW (Plastic) = .034 lbs.
    Delrin (Plastic) = .051 lbs.

So, a 2 pound strip of aluminum is tougher than a 2 pound strip of plastic? So you could have a 1 pound peice of aluminum be lighter, but comparable to strenght to a 2 pound peice of plastic?
    Get it? Got it? Good.
    Nitro Is Hazardous To Your Health.
    4x4 Jeep-Pede:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165913

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by BeeniDAmeeni
    So, a 2 pound strip of aluminum is tougher than a 2 pound strip of plastic? So you could have a 1 pound peice of aluminum be lighter, but comparable to strenght to a 2 pound peice of plastic?
    Yes Aluminum is stronger than Plastic.

Aluminum is not lighter than plastic. Depending on what you choose you will sacrifice something.

Example: Shocks... Aluminum are stronger but are heavier so if you are going for strength over weight go with Aluminum. But if Weight is more of a concert than strength go with stock plastic shocks.

The weight difference between the shocks is not as big of a concern that a bumper would be. But used the shocks as a example because of the strength to weight ratio.

RC Qualifier
    Thats some good info. I already new that alum was heavier, but i didn't know the exactly numbers. Hopefully this will clear the air with people thinking aluminum is the platinum of the R/C world. Personally, for the weight gains, i would rather use plastic and replace it. And if you are a good driver... why would you be needing that extra strength
    what if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Wildchyld999
    Personally, for the weight gains, i would rather use plastic and replace it.
    That was my thought as well, that was why I did the calculations. But I will probably go with Aluminum shocks, just because of the strength.

RC Qualifier
    well yea, alum shocks are a different story, imho. But a-arms and shock towers are useless unless you are doing insaine BL or nitro stuff. BTW to cheaply stiffen one's shock tower... use the nitro rusty one instead of the e-rusty one. There is a cross brace over the top which helps
    what if the hokey pokey is what its all about?