tire tread direction

i know most people run their tucks with the tires the 'normal' way (triangles facing towar front), but what is the advantages of it, and running it 'backwards'? i saw a couple monster trucks this past weekend, and 3 out of 5 had their tires backwards. just want to know ur opinons.
    ur truck broken? ill help fix it.
    the dark side is calling me........

RC Racer
    Some think you get better traction in the dirt/sand with your tires facing backwards i never ran them like that so i wouldnt know maybe someone that does run them like that will answer your question.

RC Champion
    I tried them backwards, and offroad they help a little for climbing...BUT onroad it's undriveable...as soon as you try to turn, it'll just hook right or left.
    < How do I edit my signature??? >

RC Racer
    keep them forward...the people who have them backwards are just hilucinating lol
    mip cvds:50$
    alum. skids:45$
    alum. shocks:100$
    alum. chassis : 180$
    RPM Misc:60$

Building your dream E-Maxx... And breaking it........:priceless

RC Champion
    As it is on real 1:1 cars, the chevron tread is designed to push loose dirt out, away from under the tire so you can get a "bite" on a better surface. That's why the tread "paddles" face that direction forward.

However, if there's nothing good to bite onto for quite a ways down, that process will be very effective in digging your truck into its own ruts, so flipping the tread around can help with, what off-roaders call, "flotation" -- where the tires sit up on top of the loose surface instead of digging in.

Obviously, for hard surfaces like asphalt, there's noting to dig or move out of the way (under the tire), and as SoCal pointed out, the ends of the chevron lugs will make handling VERY quirly backwards on the street.
    rcNuts.com

hmmm, i guess the real monster truck guys figured they'd be able to climb up and over the cars better that way... in the meanwhile, im keeping my tires straight!

RC Champion
    They have their tread the "right way" too (it just looks backwards from underneath since it's heading the different direction from the bottom).
    rcNuts.com

RC Racer
    our race track is VERY loose when dry(most of the time) im gona try them backwards in a heat race next time, cant hurt!

RC Qualifier
    i dont know why but i have my rear backwards and my front normal.

EMAXX rules

RC Champion
    I agree! Any time I'm planning to spend some time climbing a loose-dirt hill or bummin' in the sand, those tires get flipped! Otherwise, I spend more time emptying the dirt from my shoes, after fetching a "stuck" truck that dug itself in towards the top of the hill, than I spend rompin'. Switching direction on the tread can some times help a lot in those loose, deep-dirt situations, and even in bottomless mud.
    rcNuts.com

When I was in my stage of mud riding with my maxx, I tried the tires both ways and backwards seemed to grip in the mud better. Basically, Hiamp answered why.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Racer
    i have been looking for a way to make my truck loose. it pushes real bad. im new to 4wd, i like how the rear of my T3 steps out, and i get that 4 wheel drift arround corners. i cant seem to make my E do that. maybe swapping the tread dirrection will help me. any ideas?

tripod333- u dont have to do anything to ur truck, just ur driving style. get off the throttle or brake before a turn. if still oversteers, then u may need to change out ur servo saver or even ur servo.

RC Racer
    i think you mean understeer, but point taken. i have a 645, and kimbrough ss. im going to the track early this weekend, and getting some much needed practice.

p U sh = U ndersteer

l O ose = O versteer

thats how i remember

RC Competitor

tire tread direction

Real monster trucks sometime switch a more aggressive tread backwards when they are running on a more tacky material like clay. What happens is the tires tend to stick in the turns and makes cornering more difficult. Turning the tread backwards allows the truck to not grip as much and makes cornering much easier.

RC Racer
    cool, our race track is red clay. ill switch the rear tread. hope it works

RC Racer
    With the tires backwards, it acts for more of a paddle. Its used for Sand/Snow. I wrap Zip ties around the tires to level out the tred, making more of a flatter paddle.

With them the normal way, its for mud,rocks etc..
    --- Garrett Jones
    Team Associated, Team Sorex USA, Speedworld Raceway, Black Flys www.flys.com