Thread: Engine dies

RC Qualifier

help needed please

I have a 2.5 that was running great. Last night I cleaned it up and put some shock boots on (balloons) New fuel line, I took out the filter in the fuel filter brushed it off because I did not have my air compressor. put it back together.

Well At lunch I fueled her up hit the button and she fired right up. I let it idle for about 30 sec and took off made one lap and it shut off fired right back up moved a foot and shut off. So I took the fuel filter out. did the same thing. starts right up then shuts off.

So I replaced the fuel lines again just in case and nothing. Changed the glow plug and nothing same thing. took the hsn out put it back in nothing.

It will start and idle for about 4 sec and shut off.

I found that if you hold the starter on it while pushing the button I could get it to run but as soon as I let the starter go it would eventually hut off.

I was thinking dirt in the carb or something.

any advise. I have had about 3 gal. of blue thunder 20%
    and temps out side are about 59.

thanks

John

RC Champion
    Remove your glow plug and have a looksy at that. See if the coil is intact and if it looks good..

Could just be a bad plug.
    Visit WisconsinNitro's Tech tips page.
    Your official & best source for WaterProofing (Plasti-Dipping) your TMaxx.
    http://wisconsinnitro.com

RC Qualifier
    I changed that out also. ANd the coils are there and look fine. They are fairly new. Two weaks old.

RC Champion
    did you say you have 3 gallons through it?

I would runn it down to the LHS and have them do a compression test on it.. May be you have a worn piston and sleeve..

I dunno though,, I'm just shootin with my eyes closed.
    Visit WisconsinNitro's Tech tips page.
    Your official & best source for WaterProofing (Plasti-Dipping) your TMaxx.
    http://wisconsinnitro.com

RC Qualifier
    try richening it up a bit - hold the throttle down a bit when you start it up - and keep the throttle on to keep the RPM up see if that helps.

RC Qualifier
    I richened it up and I held the throttle open. It will star up but whhen u hit the gas it wants to stall like it is to rich but at the same time it acts like there is no fuel.

that is why I left the starter on it while trying to give it gas and that worked but when it whent back to idle i let go of the red button gave it gas and it stalled

Thanks

John

Check the clutch shoe spring.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left

RC Qualifier
    Check the clutch shoe spring.
    Not to be smart but why?

John

RC Qualifier
    Well I just went back out side and tryed it again. (had to wait for battery to charge)

Starts up idles shuts off will sit there and run and accelerate with the starter hooked up but as soon as you let go it shuts off.

Later

John

RC Enthusiast
    i would still try another glow plug even though you changed it a couple of weeks ago theres no asurance that the glow plug is still good
    drive it like ya stole it

RC Qualifier
    jjwolf, The reason why Oval Queen is asking you to check the clutch is because it might be hung up. When this happens youre basicly trying to start it in gear. Check and see if you can spin it when the engine is shut off. If it doesn't spin then its hung up.
    When good threads go bad..............Next on Oprah.

RC Qualifier
    I just checked the clutch bell and it moves freely it is not turning the engine at the same time.

I will check other glow plugs but what are the chances that three in a row will start but not run the max.

I was thinking that maybe a peice of tash was in the carb. would that make it do this. I have not taken the carb off and never have.

It just makes no sence to be running good one day and the next to just die. I only changed the fuel line.

I did notice that the blue boot on the slide had come off a little so I put that back on but stll the same thing.

later

John

Originally posted by jjwolf
    Starts up idles shuts off will sit there and run and accelerate with the starter hooked up but as soon as you let go it shuts off.
    Try yet another plug, this is classic bad plug syndrome

RC Racer
    are you running the stock pipe i know a guy with the old .15 and the fuel would not stay in the lines because of the pipe made the fuel just drain back into the tank try the stock pipe if yu changed them at all. he could keep it going withthe ignitor in to but when he took it out it would stall
    RPM is how fast you hit the wall torque is how far you take the wall with you

Maxxmad

RC Qualifier
    Well I will make a trip to lhs tommorrow. As far as the pipe goes I have a mac pipe and it has been on there for about three weaks with no problems. I could try to swap them out but why would this start now. half a gallon of fuel later.

We will see

John

I would recommend taking it with you to your LHS and have them do a compression check on your engine.

RC Qualifier
    I am thinkinga about the plugs now. I picked up two mc-59 at the same time and one lasted about 2 tanks until the insides of the plug let go. Now the other plug has run fine until now. the funny thing is that I have the original plug and it would still run off of it until now.

I will try to swap out the pipes tonight and get new plugs.

Later and thanks again

I hope it is just the plug and not the pipe. I love that pipe. it works so well and sounds sooooooooo good. and looks pretty too.

Later

John

RC Racer
    did you try to increase the idle? is the carb still sitting tight? maybe you moved things aroung when you tried to fit the fuel line back on???

how old is your fuel..........i had simalir problems........run for a few seconds then die.......whe it did run longer now matter how lean i got it the temps never went over 190.....tried everything untill i finnaly decided to get some new fuel to contiunie the work.........the new feul did the trick ran great after that.........was sitti ng to long i guess

RC Qualifier
    I just bought my fuel and glow plugs at the same time. They are 2-3 weaks old. I would not think that was it but anything is possible. I am taking a trip to the lhs at lunch. maybe get a compression check while I am there.

I hope it is just my glow plug.

I will keep u posted on what it was.

John

RC poster
    i have the same problem with the stalling and all, and about the fuel. all fuel go's bad with time. you know that cold feeling when you touch gasoline and the same with nitro, thats the actual stuff that gives the fuel its boom evaporating. And if you dont have the cap on your fuel jug on tight i found out the hard way that it goes bad really fast.
    Last edited by Cammander888; 10-24-2003 at 09:36 AM.
    dont fix it until its broke.

RC Qualifier
    Well I just got back from the lhs and my piston and sleave are shot. the problem being that I am running so rich.

The piston and sleave are so worn that the fuel is going past the piston.

Ayy tips on replacing the piston and sleave?

Later

john

RC Qualifier
    Ayy tips on replacing the piston and sleave?

You could do the engine exchange program through Traxxas, or buy a new engine from tower. I just broke in the 2.5 I bought from tower. Still have old one will probably exchange that one.

But if you want to rebuild heres the link for it.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/howto...inerebuild.htm
    When good threads go bad..............Next on Oprah.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks after I posted I went there and found that. I already bought a sleave, piston and con. rod. I thought about exchanging but I want to play sooner. I figure sence i am going to be breaking this engine in w/ colder weather i will prob. buy a fantom come summer and swap the 2.5 then.

I almost bought the fantom today but decided against it. I really like the 2.5 and it is plenty fast and has enough power for me.

I really thoght it was just my carb but the guy at lhs cleaned it and started to play with my t. got it to run but was just not tunning right. He said the carb was doing what it should when adjusting it just that the sleave and piston where on there last leg. Funny how one day it is good next day it is bad. O'well

Thanks

John

Originally posted by jjwolf

I really thoght it was just my carb but the guy at lhs cleaned it and started to play with my t. got it to run but was just not tunning right. He said the carb was doing what it should when adjusting it just that the sleave and piston where on there last leg. Funny how one day it is good next day it is bad. O'well

Thanks

John
    ..........sounds a bit fishy to me?????