RC Champion

The new Porsche Pede

I just finished painting this body to replace my old porsche body. Also scrapped the 4X4 and rebuilt this thing for 2WD brushless (mabey break the land speed record?) doubt it, 60+ is insane, but who knows. I also used grommets on the post holes for the first time and while I'm sure someone has done this before I thought I would mention it since it holds the body washers on the truck (I don't go crawling around looking for them anymore) and adds protection. HPI 190mm Porsche body only works well with small wheels.

RC Qualifier
    THAT'S pretty awesome!

Porsche Cayenne, eat your heart out!
    I'm the guy driving on the left side of the road.

RC Champion
    Dude that's awesome!
    I wonder what people would say if I showed up at the track with a body like that

RichardsRacing2
    That's very nice. Good paint job. I like how the wheelie bar holes look like exhaust pipe spaces on a real porche.

RC Enthusiast
    what is the difference between 190mm and 200mm bodies.

I'm might think about getting a car body.

RC Racer
    Dude that is awesome! Where did u get that body? Thats sweet. especially with those tires. It really sets it off. Great work!

RC Qualifier
    Goin all J-Spec on us.

Nice body, dude.

Preston
    Team Losi XXX-NT- Racing (hopups)
    Nitro Rustler FOR SALE, SEE MARKET
    AE T4- Racing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice Porsche body!

Also nice to see an "old timer" on the forums get back into RC.

What kind of motor/esc/gearing combo do you have in it now?
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Originally posted by UltimateBandit
    what is the difference between 190mm and 200mm bodies.

I'm might think about getting a car body.
    Well, to my knowledge, one is 10mm longer than the other...

It almost looks bad to me, but the more i look at it, the more I like it.

What kind of tires are those on the wheelie bar? It may very well be an optical illusion, but they look huge to me.

Sweet paint, too.

RC Champion
    Thanks all, I'm currently running a 15/2 P94, 7 cell Sanyo, and an SR with a XXtra receiver, geared at 15/84, but I have yet to run it full out and make adjustments. It's been too darn cold. Still trying to decide what type of brushless system to get in April. The wheelie bar is a modified ESP bar from the 4X4 with good size airplane tires, (why it is so big) but I want the front end kept low to the ground and these should do the trick, I may modify that later as well. I picked the body up at tower. Thanks again to the old and new friends here.

RC Champion
    90 and 200mm denote the width, not the length. It matters on road cars as the wheels shouldn't stick out to look "right".

Road bodies tend to stick out enough to interfere with the suspension but with road tires and a road driving style it shouldn't be a problem.
    So many toys, so little time to use them.
    Former Member- 4x4 Pede Owners Club

RC Qualifier
    EXCELLENT! I like the look. Get sick of seeing the same truck bodies.
    Looks like a Paris-to-Dakar pede!
    http://community.webshots.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/cadtek8

Thumbs up

I like it!

Gonna have to try the grommets too, thanks for the tip. What size are they?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Another excellent job beamer. It's good to see you can still create a show stopper. Now we all waiting for you to finish and give us some video!!!
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

Heres a porsche body I had done a while back. More of an F-1 style.

Definitely turns some heads at the LHS.

Swami

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by beamer
    .....It's been too darn cold. Still trying to decide what type of brushless system to get in April. ....

Since I'm from your "part of town", I know what you mean about the cold. I just finished breaking in a new TRX 2.5 engine on my T-Maxx. I had to cover 1/3 of the cooling fins so it could get up to operating temperature! I bet we are just a bunch of wimps compared to our neighbors to the north....

As far a BL goes, I really like my Novak 5800/SS system - although it might just be a little too mild for you, as you always ran top notch conventional motors. Since I generally run inexpensive modifieds, the power was awesome. Good for an easy 30+ mph in a 'pede, which is a handful IMO.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC poster
    lol thats sweet I want to after my stock body is thrashed buy some kind of onroad car body and slap it on the pede
    whats that?

RC Qualifier

Beautiful

Very nice body.

RC Champion
    Originally posted by arceeguy

Since I'm from your "part of town", I know what you mean about the cold. I just finished breaking in a new TRX 2.5 engine on my T-Maxx. I had to cover 1/3 of the cooling fins so it could get up to operating temperature! I bet we are just a bunch of wimps compared to our neighbors to the north....

As far a BL goes, I really like my Novak 5800/SS system - although it might just be a little too mild for you, as you always ran top notch conventional motors. Since I generally run inexpensive modifieds, the power was awesome. Good for an easy 30+ mph in a 'pede, which is a handful IMO.
    I'm not ruling out novak at this point and am very interested in the new HV maxx system for the Emaxx. Since it's one motor to replace two on the Emaxx and 12 cells, it should be a blast on a light 2WD pede. I also don't think you can beat Novak support. I bought the XXtra receiver 1 or 2 years ago and just used it last month for the first time in my small tamiya ferrari, fried it in a puddle the first run (stupid thing sits so low to the ground - ok I was the stupid one). Novak has a program to replace any novak part even if it is out of warranty for a fairly low cost if you get a refurb replacement or pay more for a new replacement. They didn't have a refurb Xxtra in stock and sent me a brand new one for 32 bucks. Made my day. Novak Non-Warranty Service Form

Oh and yeah I admit it, I am a wimp when it comes to the cold and the sooner I move south or west the better. Those folks that plug-in their cars at grocery store parking lots to keep them from freezing up north must have leather skin. The idea of having your car break down on a lonely road and having a real good chance of freezing to death just doesn't suit me very well.

Thanks again to all for the nice words.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm not ruling out novak at this point and am very interested in the new HV maxx system for the Emaxx. Since it's one motor to replace two on the Emaxx and 12 cells, it should be a blast on a light 2WD pede.
    I'd love to see someone pull this off, and if you go that route I wish you the best. However keep in mind that the Maxx tranny is much stronger than the Pede's, and you're also using 32 pitch gears as opposed to 48.

If someone comes through with a steel diff, that will be a step in the right direction. You'd still have to cover the spur and pinion to 32-pitch I'd imagine. It would be an impressive project for sure if you pulled it off though.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Champion
    Not sure if the Emaxx trans being stronger will make as much difference, it has to support a lot more weight and larger tires. The motor itself seems like it could be tricky but I should be able to regulate it fairly well with the XR3. I guess like most things R/C, there's only one way to find out for sure. Either way it's always a good time to do a little experimenting.

Do you have some heavier RCs to use that in, incase it is a dog in teh Pede?

The reason I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for the HV is that its probably going to want at least 10 cells to get into a good power curve. And you probably know what 10 cells does to the damage report, lol.

On the other hand, the suspension actually start working a lot more when you load up the chassis....

Swami

RC Champion
    The one thing they don't tell you is whether it's using the cells in parrallel or series, but I would imagine it is in series and the motor would require that to get into it's power curve like you said, and, based on what I have read, either way, putting them back together is half the fun. Never been one to be afraid of pushing the curve. I can also expect to use the XR3 digital radio to limit the throttle and expand the throttle range and possibly let it out on the fly. While this could prevent me from using the motor at it's full potential, it will still allow me to maximize the Pede's potental, and that is the goal.

got really exited then, thought Proline had released a Cayenne Shell lol

Looks very nice, i used to run that body on my touring car
    I just got tired of my account so I started bashing Traxxas!

RC Qualifier
    Nice body!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Should be series, since you're usually looking for more voltage with a BL setup like that.

Never been one to be afraid of pushing the curve.
    ...and we have proof of that. Dual P-94's....

I loved that video. Until it hit the mailbox....
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Champion
    I don't suppose it will be too long before they release a Cayenne shell, they already have a 1/18 the scale model on tower.

Misbehavin: yeah that mailbox was a bummer but it was either the mailbox or my brother-in-law's car. You have no idea how hard it was not to turn the steering. He was visiting and I forgot he had parked there. Made for geat video though.

The part I was leaving out in the HV comment, was that theres the possibility that you could get better performance out of a Lehner 5300 using less cells.

But no one has found out.... YET.

Swami

RC Racer
    very nice i like these on road bodies on off road cars
    Check out my homepage at:
    www.geocities.com/nitro4132004/
    Cheers :)

RC Racer
    That is an absolutely drop dead gorgeous paint job. BTW, on the grommets, how did you do that? Did you have to ream the holes out to size prior to applying the grommets or do they punch the holes when you apply them? As much as I like the paint job, I like the grommets even more.

RC Champion
    I had the grommets for something else but the holes fit the post perfectly, I did have to ream out the holes on the body and the body washers to get the grommet to work and it took some time working them through with a small screwdriver, but once it's done it works great. You may also have to use a dremel to lengthen the post, but I was already doing that for the porsche body since the front would sit too high. Last, I wanted to put them underneath (body washers) as well, but that turned out to be too hard. It's a pain but you only have to do it once.

RC Competitor

Question Questions

Sorry to sound like the guy questioning this earlier, but let me get this 100% clear

How much different is the 190mm from the 200mm?

Yes, I know it's a total of 10mm, but is that 10mm longer in the wheelbase, or the overall length of the body?

Also, would the length of the 200 look that noticable compared to the 190......even with the widening conversion which adds a few millimeters to the wheelbase?

I'm only asking because HPI has a lot better selection of 200mm bodies.

Thanks

-P
    Last edited by BigBadPhil; 01-26-2004 at 03:56 PM.
    And in the end, the parts you break are equal to the fun you make.

RC Champion
    The 190mm is the width of the body and it does make a difference. When you press down on the body the wheels come in and back, which is why you will notice the wheel wells are cut out more toward the back , if you went with the 200mm you would have to cut out more of the body. The more you cut the less strength it will have. I could cut the 190 out a little bit more to accomodate the mashers but even that would be too much in my opinion and I also think it would look funny. Your other option is to raise the posts somehow, but I think that looks a little weird to and may make the truck less balanced or easier to flip when turning. 5mm on each side is not much and you could probably make it work, but like most mods you'll have to experiment.

When I used Pirate tires I had to cut out a huge well on the F150 body, but I strengthened that with a coating of fibre glass and epoxy on the inside of the body. It works and acts like a roll cage but the body eventually goes white from the epoxy and you need a second body on top of it (they fit inside each other perfectly) to look good. This also adds some weight, but at the time with dual P94's it didn't matter that much.

RC Racer
    Nice job. Although I am not the biggest fan on putting a car body on a truck chassis, I actualy think it looks pretty cool! Nice job!
    "Life is just one big question mark" -RIP Indian Larry ?

RC Qualifier
    Beamer-

Where can i see this mailbox video?

RC Champion
    Paraphoe:

You'll need Windows Media Player - right click and save works best. Then run it. 5.7 MB

The mailbox

RC Qualifier
    Awesome! That hit REALLY hurt! Thanks for the link beamer.