RC Enthusiast

Building Wheelie bar - Question

Ok, I am building my 3rd wheelie bar (1st one was tin, second was steel.) This one is Aluminum.

My question is:
    How should I attach the threaded rod or nut to the hollow tube? Originally I used a single piece of threaded rod but have since decided to go to bolts.

W
    W
    LWNBBBBBBBBBBB
    W
    W

(Only left wheel shown.)

Legend:
    W - Airplane wheels
    B - Hollow Tube Steel Bar
    N - Nut
    L - Lock Nut

Forgive my ASCII art, I have threaded rod through the nuts and I am trying to connect the nuts to the bar.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

If you use one long threaded rod to go through the steel tube, you can just tighten the nuts down against the ends of the tube.

RC Racer
    when you get it assembled, be sure to put some loctite between the threads and nut so that nothing will come loose easily.
    Deadpool
    ----------------------------------------
    As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest man in the valley.

RC Enthusiast
    Great ideas, thanks guys. Another question:

What is the best way to attach the skid plate to the axle bar? Should I pick up a tap kit from Swami or would just drilling and using machine screws be ok without tapping?

I don't think I want to drill through the threaded rod...

RC Racer
    tapping will give you the most stability, as it is "tied" into the whole frame. if you just drill, the bar will just be seated against it.
    i would come up with some sort of fixture to tap the whole thing. use a vice and maybe a v-block with some clamps to hold your round parts stable.
    you may want to look at reworking your setup by tapping that hollow tube itself, and running a bolt through the wheel and into the tube. once you get that bolt loctite'd into some threads, its not going to come out, so you can position it where you want it pretty easily.
    Deadpool
    ----------------------------------------
    As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest man in the valley.

RC Champion
    Machine screws should work, if they don't get a tap kit, as for the wheels I tapped an ESP for large screws/bolts and instead of locktight I used CA glue. Makes for a solid connection but if you bust a wheel or bend the heck out of the screw you will need some debonder. I also glued a nut on the inside of the wheel right to the end of the rod - put a drop in and tighten it against it. Bigger the screw/bolt the better but it still has to fit the wheel rim, I think I reamed that out a little with a drill to get a nice fit.