Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Sirio .18-TX or Fantom FR18

Which engine is better: Sirio .18-TX or Fantom FR18.

RC Qualifier
    This has been discussed many times so try i search but ill sum it up a little. I think people believe that the sirio has a tad more lowend power, Top speed is the same. However the customer support for sirio is horrible. Fantom has better customer service and the engine less expensive. Both are great engines, but I personally went with the fantom.

RC Champion
    i have heard that they are both excellent engines. they both have a nice look to them. i have also heard that the fantom is slightly more fragile than the sirio in the way of some internal parts. the fantom is cheaper as far as price goes though.

as for me, im getting a fantom for my rustler when then brand new 2.5 quits in it. the tmaxx will probly also get one put in it
    I'm so smrt. D'oh!

RC Qualifier
    Sirio 18 powerband is at its maximum mid-top end rpm, it will just keep pulling as you get higher into the RPM range

Hey, it still has enough power to flip my maxx over backwards though
    Sirio 18.
    -----
    Gimme a 2.5 to race!

RC Racer
    I went with the Sirio .18 and I really like it. After reading all the deferent posts about the two motors all I had to do was to decide on what color I wanted. I don't think you will de disappointed with ether one.
    Curb with 4 foot drop = NO NO STOP STOP STOP O Man not again.....

RC Qualifier
    yeah, I would love to get one, but I'd need to upgrade transmission though right, steel gears and stuff, do you need new diffs for either of these engines?

RC Qualifier
    I have both engines Fantom & Sirio .18 and have NOT had to modify my Diffs or trans. The preciding answers pretty well summarizes the truth as it relates to which engine is best. I might add the Fantom is cheaper, runs hot and in my opionion you should only use the fuels which Fantom Motors recommends, i.e. Trinity or Wildcat.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BPK; 02-12-2004 at 06:18 PM.
    Traxxas 2.5, Fantom & Sirio .18 and OFNA-Picco .21 engines. Airtronics 94358, Imex wheels, MX-3, Sirio BB, Fantom WorksPipes, RPM Knuckles, RDlogics, UE, AeroStickes, FullForce, Trinity Fuel, Nova & Monster cooling heads.
    "If I don't Know I don't comment."

RC Qualifier
    I was at a hobby shop out of town. I asked if he had the Fantom for the T-Maxx. He said no, but i've got the Siro. That's what's in my T-Maxx right now. It's never run hot and only stalled once since i've had it after laying on its back for a while. This motor rides wheelies awsomely and i've only had to tune it once.

RC Qualifier
    nice, sirio sounds a little better.

RC Champion
    the fantom is meant to run hot though. they reccomend you keep the engines temp above 268. ( i think)
    Traxxas and Cadillacs
    I love to race my 2.5!

RC Qualifier
    I LOVE my sirio!!! I just completed a gallon yesterday and i cant get over how strong the thing runs. I havent had any problems with it and it runs at 225. But its a win win situation with both engines.

RC poster

Sirio .18-TX or Fantom FR18

I installed the Sirio TX-18 three weeks ago. This truly is a racing engine. It's got good power through all RPM's and runs in the 240's for me. I broke it in using these guidelines http://www.ofna.com/fuel.html I used Trinity Monster Horsepower Break-In blend. The only problem I had was my ez start had a hard time at first with this really tight engine. I heated the block with a heat gun broke it in and it's been great ever since. I've never owned a Fantom product so I really can't say which is better. But I do think anyone would be really happy with the Sirio.

RC Racer
    All I know is I was eating up Savage 25SS and .21 Team Assoc. Trucks the other day with my Fantom.

They would get the hole shot and half way down the straight I was walkin them down.

they were mad! LOL
    My setup:
    Fantom .18 | MS Air Filter | BB Pipe | Integy shocks, Skids, Chassis Braces | Hitec 645 Servo | performace steering kit | offset wheels | Bow Ties | Trinity 25% Fuel

RC Racer
    ok..well, i have heard of some problems with the sirio, wether they are true or not..i have no idea, but i got the fantom, it ran perfect all the way through break-in, and for 3 and ahalf tanks after that, its soooo easy to tune too. usually when i crank it up..it acts rich, but i just give it about 3 runs up and down the street, and its good. Its very powerful, fast, easy to tune, and it holds that tune. i think u will be happy either way, but i went with the fantom.
    If you were to say to me something like "Hello, how are you?" I would answer back "Hello, I am doing well."

RC Champion
    i got the fantom and i swear this engine is unstoppable. It can idle all day long without stalling once and it is just pure FAST!!!!!!!. My friend has a sirio and we did a little race just to compare it guess what. It was a TIE. And its not the engine thats gonna win races its also the driving skills that will win the race. So to answer your question they are both identical engines but the sirio has a bit more low speed torque but otherwise the fantom is the better buy in my mind. just as good for cheaper. And fantom has excellent customer service i might add. Very fast to respond and can answer and fix anything you got. good luck you wont be dissapointed either way you go. But i will root for fantom.

RC Qualifier

tranny mods

I put a Traxxas FOC in my truck when I was running an OS 15 CVRX, even with that engine I wrecked the reverse output twice, If i tried it with the Sirio I think it would last all of about 1 tank of fuel lol
    Sirio 18.
    -----
    Gimme a 2.5 to race!

RC poster
    Fantom FR18

RC Champion
    look heres the real deal both these engine r practically equal in every asspect of perfomance some ppl say the siro has more low-end some say that the fantom has more lowend so it really differs on who u tlk to for instance some of the ppl at my lhs say the siro leaks a lot but i havent heard anything bad bout the fantom though ... i have a fantom and i say get the fantom but either 1 u choose will be fine and u will see a definte improvement over the 2.5
    I'm the man speedin past u in a maxx as fast as i can

RC Competitor
    first off let me start by saying, this topic has been discussed more times than i can remember. i have a Sirio .18 in my sportmaxx and it is an awesome engine, it holds a tune really good, and it has tons of power. i got my sirio for christmas, and after breaking it in and tuning it, i haven't touched the needles since, thats how well it holds a tune. as for the fantoms, i have talked to many guys at the hobby shops that walk in with their trucks that have fantoms, and they love them, they say the same things about their fantom's that i say about my sirio. i guess it all just comes down to availability, the price, and what color head you want
    "It Seems Like Whenever You're Doing Something Fun, The Cops Always Show Up."

RC Qualifier
    i would get sirio just because its italian, cant beat italian engines - Ferrari baby

RC Champion
    i can beat sirio lol. fantom is just as fast as sirio so dont think u can get away from me . just ask texas boy he can back me up cuz we raced both sirio and fantom and it was a tie. dead even race from start to finish.

RC Qualifier
    yeah still sirio has some nice engines

RC Racer
    I put the Fantom .18 on my T-Maxx and stripped the rearend out within 3 days and still havent got it back together! I cant figure out weather to put stocks gears back in it or go with some upgrades. But dont know who even makes upgrade gears so I guess I am screwed!
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

RC Champion
    well its not the engine that stripped the rear end out cuz my hole back end of the truck is stock except for the rpm bumper and ive got half a gallon through mine without anything but awesome results.

RC Racer
    Well it ran fine with the 2.5 and when I put on the Fantom uh duh huh then it happened so what that tells me is that this motoe has a lot of torgue and its a POWER HOUSE. Thats what did it. Other people have had it happen too with the Fantom, so if yours is doing good then you should be proud. I wish you the best but now I have to replace my gears!
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

RC Qualifier
    so if you get the fantom what gears shoud be replaced?

RC Champion
    none. Everyone else besides t-maxx1975 has had stock gears unless they decided themselves to upgrade. He is the first person i have heard of to do that that has a fantom or sirio.

RC Competitor
    can i c some pics with the siro?
    HEY NANY NANY WITH A HEY AND A WOOO (lisa jumping out the window, simsons) s-maxx,4WD,2SPD,cvec pipe, motorsavers airfilter more 2 come

RC Racer
    I have the Sirio .18 with stock diffs and 15 to 20 tanks threw it. My tranny has aluminum and steel gears but I did that before I even thought about getting the sirio. No problems with the diffs at all but I did snap an output yoke on the tranny.

RC Qualifier
    i just looked around to compare prices and where i found the fantom, it is more then the siro, and i thought it was the cheaper one. what is the best price?

RC Racer
    I have had numerous messages about this since I posted it the other day. I am not saying it will happen to every body but it did happen to me and several others. The Fantom stripped my stock gears when I put it on. But it aint no big deal I a, just going to rebuild it with stock gears.

RC Qualifier
    so kna, did u think youd need those steel/alum gears in tranny for the sirio? Which ones did you get exactly?

RC Racer
    Originally posted by bigsmiles2
    i just looked around to compare prices and where i found the fantom, it is more then the siro, and i thought it was the cheaper one. what is the best price?
    https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=FAN01024 Best ive found. Currently out of stock
    2.5 Arms: Orderd
    Chassis/Linkage: Orderd/Soon
    WASP .26/W-Pull Start:Very Soon :)

RC Racer
    Originally posted by Ashes
    so kna, did u think youd need those steel/alum gears in tranny for the sirio? Which ones did you get exactly?

The gears are RRP. I really didn't have any reason for buying them I just an urge to upgrade something and that's what I ended up with

RC Qualifier
    ok i see, what part numbers?

RC Racer
    Robinson Forward and reverse primary: 8521
    Hardcore Forward output: HCR-03290

Those were the 2 gears that I destroyed immediately after breaking in my Sirio. But, they already had 6 gallons on them from the stock 2.5. Now the truck has 9 gallons thru it and the axles have been replaced, diff bearings, diffs are still ok for now (sealed and shimmed).
    Tekno Associated RC8Be
    ERBE - 6s *****s

RC Racer
    Originally posted by bigsmiles2
    I dont know where you found the Sirio at to be cheaper. It is around 180-200 and the Fantom .18 is only 168.95 At www.stormerhobbies.com thats where I got mine!Good Luck

RC Qualifier
    I concur with Mich? as a normal occurance it is not necessary to replace the standard gearing parts in Tmaxxx because you use a Sirio/Fantom .18 engine. I have both engines and am running stock gear parts, except for an FOC in one truck.
    Traxxas 2.5, Fantom & Sirio .18 and OFNA-Picco .21 engines. Airtronics 94358, Imex wheels, MX-3, Sirio BB, Fantom WorksPipes, RPM Knuckles, RDlogics, UE, AeroStickes, FullForce, Trinity Fuel, Nova & Monster cooling heads.
    "If I don't Know I don't comment."

RC Champion
    Originally posted by T-MAXX1975

I dont know where you found the Sirio at to be cheaper. It is around 180-200 and the Fantom .18 is only 168.95 At www.stormerhobbies.com thats where I got mine!Good Luck
    168? Did you even bother to look at the price? here it shows it for 148.95

RC Champion
    i havent had any probs with my maxx at all after i put the fantom in no diff probs no axle probs no probs w/ the drivetrain period .... bashinthrashin t and t-maxx1975 r the only ppl ive heard of that have had any prob w/ the drivetrain since they put either of the .18s in this goes to show u that the drivtrain very rarely in this case will break due to the .18s power so i say get either .18 w/o upgrading the drivetrain to say urself money but thats just my 2 cents
    I'm the man speedin past u in a maxx as fast as i can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast