Thread: Stripped gear?

RC Racer

Help! Striped?

My new Fantom has stripped out the rear end or tranny. I can turn the back wheels one at a time without the other one turning. And can do the same with the front. Is it the tranny or rear end before I start tearing it apart? Have never went into rearend or tranny so it will be a fun experience I am sure!
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

RC Qualifier
    How long have you had the Fantom in?

RC Racer
    3 Days! Where is all the Marshalls? I need some expert help here, PLEASE!
    Last edited by T-MAXX1975; 02-12-2004 at 06:18 PM.
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

Put both front wheels on the ground and hold the rear tires, try to roll it forwards, if the diff is damaged it will roll and make a clicking/grinding noise, if there is no noise do the same with the rear wheels, if it does it should be removed and inspected, it if doesn't roll there is something else wrong.

If you end up needing to remove one of the diffs, here is how I recommend doing so:
    This is a much quicker way to get to the diff than pulling the whole front or rear end apart because it entails removing only one bulkhead side in order to get the diff out.

To remove the damaged diff it does not matter which side you choose to work on, pick one.

1. First pull one of the wheels off the end to be worked on.

2. Remove the outer tie rod end on that side.

3. Remove input shaft to the diff.

4. Remove the 2 chassis to bulkhead screws.

5. Remove the 2 lower skid plate to bulkhead screws.

6. Remove the 2 bumper bracket screws.

7. Remove the 2 shock tower to bulk head screws on that side.

8. Now you will be able to lift the entire suspension assembly up and out of the way which allows you to remove the diff, make sure to note the direction the case screws are pointing so you install it in the correct posistion.

The front diff case screws should face the drivers side and the rear diff case screws should face to the passengers side.

You do not have to remove the shocks for this procedure.

HolmWrecker & I use this method and it can even be done in between heats at the races.
    It takes about 15 minutes to remove and reinstall if you have the replacement parts on hand.

Here is a Shimming the diff article

In the event you do not feel it was a diff issue, let us know.
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 02-12-2004 at 07:14 PM.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left

RC Racer
    The front wheels rolled fine but the back ones made terrible grinding/clicking noises! So that means its the rear diff? Right, I will start to take it off and check it out, but when I turn it over, the sound is coming from the tranny???

Rear Diff is correct.

RC Racer
    But the sound is coming from the tranny? Should I check the rear diff first and then go from there?

RC Qualifier
    If it's your rear diff you should know right away because I'm willing to bet it has sheared off the four little screws that go from the ring gear to the diff cup. Hope that helps and not a tranny problem.

Did you notice the clicking noise more when braking or letting off the throttle?
    If so it is the diff, I doubt it is the tranny.

RC Racer
    4. Remove the 2 chassis to bulkhead screws.
    How do you get to these screws without removing the gas tank and motor ?

RC Racer
    OK I have it apart, now what do i check? The gear looks fine, do I take out the little 4 screws?

RC Racer
    OK I am just sitting here with the diff apart and have no idea what to do next. I have took it all apart and cleaned all the gears and they look fine I guess. I cant tell if they are stripped or not. Should one side of them turn without the other turning? could be a problem but i dont know!

RC Racer
    Put both front wheels on the ground and hold the rear tires, try to roll it forwards, if the diff is damaged it will roll and make a clicking/grinding noise, if there is no noise do the same with the rear wheels, if it does it should be removed and inspected, it if doesn't roll there is something else wrong.
    ok i have a similar same problem like he described in the begining so I attempted what ovalqueen said. Mine does not roll so something else is wrong? What could it be before i tear it down?
    thanks

malba

While holding firmly allow the wheels you are holding off the ground to roll one full revolution, this will let the gears in the diff to rotate, if there is a bad tooth or teeth you will feel it slip/grind.
    It is possible there is a bad portion in the diff gear and you are not finding it by holding it firmly.
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 02-13-2004 at 12:42 AM.

RC Racer
    do i turn them both at the same time? if i do they dont turn. if i turn one at a time it turns a revolution with no problems

RC Racer
    Well its nice to help aomeone else but what am i supposed to do with mine? I took it all apart and cleaned the gears and they dont look srtipped but when I put it back together and turn the out put shafts it dont turn all 3 of them, SO IT MUST BE STRIPPED CORRECT? So what do I order to fix it? The spider gear and the oter gears or what?

RC Racer
    OH me my post got sent to the back buner. I still havent been told what I need to get or do about this. What parts do I need to fix it?

RC Racer
    Come on people, dont any body know the best gears to order for the rear ends? Robinson or What? I need to know so I can order today!

If the gears look good I would move on to the next item. I would take the tranny apart and see if anything is broken.

Process of elimination.

Mike
    Pain is Temporary, Pride & Achievement is Forever.

RC Qualifier
    Here enlies my question .. i did what oval queen said about holding the rear itres and moving the front and same thing with the back.... i heard a little bit of clicking with the rear and alot with the front... DOES that mean both of my diffs have a problem?????????????????????????????????PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!??!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!