Thread: What engine?

RC Racer

What engine?

What engine would be the best to use after i'm done with the 2.5, but without having to modify the chassis?

RC Champion
    Highland Park Illinois, official simpsons freak
    sirio, or fantom
    Banned and blocked. Use me as an object lesson for how not to behave.

Courtesy of NC

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    yea thats a direct replacement. but people say it will eat drivetrain, and i believe it. u need to get cvds and metal tranny and spur gears for that.
    You are not knowledgable if you express that you are.

RC Competitor
    Originally posted by lookin4at-maxx
    yea thats a direct replacement. but people say it will eat drivetrain, and i believe it. u need to get cvds and metal tranny and spur gears for that.
    not true i no a couple ppl that have stock gears ect. its good 2 have tho.
    HEY NANY NANY WITH A HEY AND A WOOO (lisa jumping out the window, simsons) s-maxx,4WD,2SPD,cvec pipe, motorsavers airfilter more 2 come

RC Champion
    that siro wont eat up drive train parts metal gears for the tranny r used on things like big blocks not small blocks .... anyways i say fantom fr .18 its realible easy to tune holds that tune and has lots of power 1.95 hp.. i have the fantom and i luv it ..... another thing the siro and the fantom r practically equal in performance so either 1 u get u wont be dissapionted but the siro has vad probs like the carb leaking i truely havent heard anything bad bout the fantom ,not tryin to say the fantom is definetly better just tell u from what i know
    I'm the man speedin past u in a maxx as fast as i can

RC Racer
    Where can I get a fantom?

RC Qualifier
    Did you not have good luck with the 2.5? It's only $105 with a trade of you used 2.5! Sweet deal insted of $150(Fantom)-190(Sirio)!!
    What??????????

RC Racer
    How much horse power does the 2.5 have? I was just looking for a bigger engine than a .15 that's why I asked about the Sirio .18

RC Qualifier
    1.33hp says rc mag. I've heard allot of good things about both the Sirio, and the Fanton! I'm having a brainfart right now, and can't remember where I've seen the Fantom though!!
    What??????????

RC Competitor
    www.werksracing.com

has a picco .21 (medium block) and it has some power im looking into getting one any advice on this one guys and gals
    x236x all for one brotherhood

RC Racer
    well if u have the .21 chassis( i think it needs that) then go for it or get a .26 picco I heard lots of good things about it.

RC poster
    while we are on the subject of engines i was thinking about getting this engine if i lost another engine.On my 2nd one now.My question is if this is a good one or will the fantom be a better drop in replacment......or is there another one that would be better......
    Just looking for a little extra power and looking for some inputand info.....

RC Champion
    well honestly the fantom is perfect to me. Its direct replacement for the maxx and its better then the 2.5 in every way. Its easy starting, tuning, reliable, pretty much perfect. Tons of torque and it has better top speed then the 2.5. its cheaper then the sirio and i have never heard of anything bad about the fantom. You can get it from www.stormerhobbies.com. they just got more in stock the other day so hurry up and order it.

RC Enthusiast
    I've heard a lot about the differences between the Fantom and Sirio but not a lot about how they compare to the 2.5. How do they compare to the 2.5?

RC Champion
    there better in every aspect. run better and easier to use. more power and all around better then the 2.5 in every way.

RC Racer
    is there any way you could put a pressure nipple on the exhaust manifold so you wouldnt have to run a pipe?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE]that siro wont eat up drive train parts metal gears for the tranny r used on things like big blocks not small blocks .... anyways i say fantom fr .18 its realible easy to tune holds that tune and has lots of power 1.95 hp..[/QUOTE

You can purchase any engine you want for your truck and I have heard great things about both the Sirio and the Fantom but you should do so with good information. Your Maxx is designed for a 1.3 hp engine and we all know you can destroy diffs and axles with 1.3 hp so how can you go and put 1.95 hp and not see a reduction in lifespan of the drivetrain? If you want one great,and to a certain point I do too, BUT do so with good info . Bottom line it might be worth doing some upgrades when you toast the stock bits but make your purchase knowing what you are getting yourself into. All you have to do to prove me wrong is explain how you can get this power to the wheels without sending it through the drivetrain......

Buy what you want and Both are great motors but do so with the knowledge that extra power brings extra heartaches.

RC Competitor
    Originally posted by xramseyx
    www.werksracing.com

has a picco .21 (medium block) and it has some power im looking into getting one any advice on this one guys and gals
    I forgot to menchin but its a direct fit!

RC Qualifier
    I could be wrong, but I remember seeing an advertisement that Picco has a .21 that is a direct replacement for the 2.5. But I could be wrong?????
    I admit it....I'm a recovering EBAY addict!!! I live life one day at a time. Who am I kidding??? I'm still an addict!!!!

RC Competitor
    thats what im saying

RC Qualifier
    Picco P2 will bolt right in, it comes with the motor mount! EZ start will hook right up to it also! Ofna/Picco is also coming out with their own version of a direct fit motor w/mount! Is rated as a bit more HP than the P2! They rate the P2 as 2.1hp, and the Ofna/Picco as 2.38hp! It's in the Jan. or Feb. issue of RCCA mag.
    What??????????

RC Champion

titaium leg

i ahvent destroyed a diff, axle , or tranny part with my 2.5 nieter have i destroyed any drivtrain part with myt fantom .18 and ive gone 3.5 gallons so far .. from what ur saying i should of broken a part already so maybe i should be waiting for something too happen .. i havent seen a reduction in the life span yet but w/e u say dude

RC Racer
    I put the Fantom .18 on my T-MAXX and less than 3 days I have a stripped out rear end! Oh well its worth all that speed and power!!!! I recomend the Fantom .18 cheaper than the Sirio and basically the same motor but a heck of lot more customer service with Fantom!!!
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

RC Qualifier
    Jmaxx All you have to do is explain how it makes it's extra power in a way that doesn't make it go through the drivetrain. I would have reasoned with you but the whatever thing doesn't answer my question or make your point either. So I'll ask again how can 1/3 rd more power not shorten the lifespan of the drivetrain??????????

Banned by Warnings
    in m/o it all depends how hard u run them......

RC Racer
    Originally posted by Delaney2001
    Did you not have good luck with the 2.5? It's only $105 with a trade of you used 2.5! Sweet deal insted of $150(Fantom)-190(Sirio)!!
    most people dont like the 2.5 (please do not make a comment, i know some people like them) u will be much happier with a fantom or a sirio. I personally got the fantom. Perfect engine.
    If you were to say to me something like "Hello, how are you?" I would answer back "Hello, I am doing well."

RC poster
    get the fantom it is so much easier to tune and it has alot more power.

RC Champion

titaiumleg

its hard to answer a question when u havent broke drivtrain parts and ur friends havent broken drivtrain parts either even though u and ur friends have driven w/ the fantom and w/the siro longer than they have w/ the 2.5 and it has made my piont because if the siro or fantom did eat up drivtrain parts i would of told u straight out already .... i havent seen any extra wear goin on in my drivetrain im sry dude but this life span thing ur tlkin bout hasnt come up yet

RC Qualifier
    this thing of eating up drivetrain etc. really depends on so many things including driving style and setup. For e.g. if you install a 16T clutch bell and a large spur you'll stress the drive train way more than stock setup. Large jumps will give that sudden burst of energy to the gears as soon as the wheels touch the ground. The list goes on and on so you no one can really judge if those engines will eat up anything. All i know is that if you have any weak areas in the drivetrain, those engines will emphasize 'em.
    T-Maxx ~ Dominator-Maxx hybrid ~ Monster Pirate ~ Lightning Stadium Pro ~ Revo stock

RC Racer
    There is a great thing in design called a "Factor of Safety".
    what this means it that while traxxas designed the tranny etc for a 1.3 hp engine, in fact they MAY have designed it for a lot higher - just to be safe!
    I can imagine it's very difficult to design for the varying loads which the maxx is subjected to on an off-road track - especially with the varied terrain!