Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

another motor better then the 2.5

i bought a t-maxx an it came with the trx2.5 an i hate it an i just wanna know is there any other motors as good or almost as good as the 2.5 that doesnt give much of a hassoil as the 2.5 does i hate my 2.5 an just want somethin as good as the 2.5 or the next thing down from the 2.5 that will work on the t-maxx chassis whats about this phantom motor anyone know anything about it an is it better then the 2.5 or just as good or what ?

RC Competitor
    Having trouble are we?? I was all but sure i got a lemon when i bought mine, Turned out it was just me..

RC Qualifier
    the sirio 18 engine and fantom 18 engine is great and direct fit for t-maxx 2.5. it have about 1.9 hp, stronger than trx 2.5 and easy tuning also coz less than $ 200

RC Champion
    fantom to me is the best way to go. The engine is easy to use and tune. the company backs up there stuff 100% and will help you in anyway. everything from fantom for me is perfect and i couldnt be any happier.

RC Racer
    Get the Fantom.18 and get ready to say HOLLY COW! This is the fastest motor that will drop right in that they make! Its AWESOME!
    Fantom .18| Hitec 645 Servo| RPM A-Arms| RPM Shock Towers| RPM Skids| RPM Bulkhead Braces| Proline H2 Body| F350 Washington Redskins Body.

RC Enthusiast
    Get the....

Sirio!!!

RC Champion
    Sorry, i would have to disagree with swapping the motor. The 2.5 is the best .15 out there. Its sad to see as soon as someone has a problem with the 2.5. They want to swap the motor. Its not the motor, its the owner. You are missing out on the best part of this hobby. Have a problem, learn to fix it. These RTRs has made us lazy and impatience. I have both the 2.5 (2) and the pro .15. And i wouldnt trade either one of them. Try learning how to correctly tune the engine. The reward for learning how to tune the 2.5 is great. You will have a sense of accomplishment. Good luck. BTW, i can take my Trx 2.5 and will run the wheels off of alot of .15, .18 and some .21. A well tuned 2.5 is a monster. Believe it.

P.S.. I'll trade you my pro .15 for your 2.5. J/k.
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

RC Racer
    Not sure if its out yet or not some said ebay. Anyways onfa picco .21 Small Block (Drop-IN) Whould probly be a good engine. You may want to talk with soem other people who has one when you can before you decide to get one since its a new engine to make sure it holds a tune good.
    2.5 Arms: Orderd
    Chassis/Linkage: Orderd/Soon
    WASP .26/W-Pull Start:Very Soon :)

RC Competitor
    MPH- my 2.5 is junk i tryed to tune it it wont hold a tune its like everytime i wanna run it i have to spend most of the day tuning it an it over heats i turned the bottom of the head an the hole that the glow pluge goes in AND 1 of the glow plgues gold already from it over heating an now it wont even fire i have a temp gage but i cant even get it too start to use it i hate my 2.5 i broke it in wrong an i called my hobby shop an they said if i bought 1 within the last 6 months that there was a defect in the motor an mines only about 3 months old so i got one of the recalled jumk ones an sense they had a recall on the 2.5 once i dont wanna take a chance on gettin another 2.5 an then them havin another recall on it so i think i'll try the phatom if i can find one but i'm NOT goin with the 2.5 anymore its gargbage it wont hold a tune for nothin an i just hate it

RC Champion
    Wow. Strong words. (Hate) Dont get yourself in trouble. Sorry, if you had a bad experience with the 2.5.
    i hate my 2.5 i broke it in wrong
    . How did you break it in wrong? Remember any brand of engines can give you problems. I'm sure if you called Traxxas and explain. They would help you out in anyway. But saying
    the 2.5 anymore its gargbage it wont hold a tune for nothin an i just hate it
    on their official website. Probably wont help your cause. If you going to vent. Try not to flame them in public. Give them a call. Good luck. Read my sig. Its just a part of this hobby. And i love it.
    Last edited by 0260MPH; 03-01-2004 at 01:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    ok to add, i agree nothing wrong with the 2.5 but its carb does have some quality issues. i am just saying if the person who put mine together was a little more carefull in putting it together they would not have chewed up an O-ring which caused all my problems. I had no idea till i took mine apart. but once it was fixed, WOW, super stong motor. and very easy to tune.

but i see what people mean, about having a hassle free motor. but i also disagree with the people saying its the owner, because the owners did not put the engine and components together so they do not know it was made faulty.

Also to mention, other people may not be so lucky. some people may have perfectly good engines but do not have the ability to tune it right.

My 2.5 will not run on stock settings. that is a problem. do not know why but if other engine manufactures can say there engine will run on stock settings (not perfect but enough to idle) i would be impressed.

RC Competitor
    lol i already got in trouble here once i know how to stay away from it but i just dont like when ppl tell me to keep this engine when all i been doin with it sense i bought it is fightin with it too get it too hold a tune an run i havent even got too have any fun with it at all an like i said its only 3 months old i just dont want the 2.5 anymore i want somethin thats gonna run without having to play around with it too get it too run sorry i sound so mean but thats all i do day in an day out is fight to get it too run an i'm just tired of doin that an i just want an engine i can relay on to run without haviing to tune it every single day before i run it

RC Qualifier
    ok ppl lets get this straight, motor= electrical powered engine= peutrol/nitro/combustable substance powered. ARE U ALL NOOBS OR WHAT???? by the way 0260 mph, the 2.5 is a .18 and it is not the best .18 out there! dont get my wrong the 2.5 isnt that bad of an engine. the biggest problem is dificulty to tune. this causes frustration which leads to anger which leads to hate. i NEVER heard of any such "recall" bro19_04, i think your lsn doesnt know what they talkin about. lets hope traxxas admits the difficulty to tune the 2.5 and will fix it with a new version.

also, 0260mph, a well tuned 2.5 will never outperform a well tuned .21 Believe it.
    2 T-maxx 2.5's w/Golden Horizons cooling heads, traxxas blue tuned pipe, Hot bodies pipe and header, RR steel spur gears, proline hummer body, aluminum lower a-arms, rear MIP steel half shafts, Motor saver air filer, custom body clip retainers, rpm rims.

RC Competitor
    an it wont even run on stock settings now ethier it dide twice an that was it now everything i do with it nothin works

RC Champion
    My 2.5 will not run on stock settings. that is a problem. do not know why but if other engine manufactures can say there engine will run on stock settings (not perfect but enough to idle) i would be impressed.
    Whats stock settings? If you are talking about the factory settings. They are meant for break in. Not everyday driving. Unless you tuned it to run that way.

RC Competitor
    like i said it wont even fire now with the factory settings nothin works somethin is SERIOUSLY messed up with my 2.5 an i'm not puttin anymore money into the same motor that i've put money into for the past 3 months now i just wanna start fresh an with somethin more relayible the 2.5 i have ISNT relaible

RC Champion
    Ok, lets all of us step back.
    by the way 0260 mph, the 2.5 is a .18 and it is not the best .18 out there
    That is not a correct statement. I'm just trying to help another hobbist out. I'm not here to create problems. There is some misled information going on. And i think we all need to read the manual. Remember the 2.5 is a racing engine. So, you cant treat it like its a everyday mill engine. And no im not a NOOB. I have been in this hobby for about 15 or 20 yrs off and on. But, Bro19 i think i can help you or someone here on the forum can. Its your choice. Good luck.
    Last edited by 0260MPH; 03-01-2004 at 01:20 AM.

RC Racer
    go to *************.com and read the review of the epic .18 it looks to be a good engine
    upgraded pede gs storm rtr tc3 rtr
    t3 factory team

RC Competitor
    i tryed everything i've taken it too hobby shops i've read the manual i've called traxxas nothin works for me it does for maybe 1 tank of fuel an then after that its problem after problem again

RC Qualifier
    stock settings =factory settings. HSN 4 turns rich, LSN, flush with fuel slide, idle, 2mm counterclockwise

factory settings WILL run the truck if you are having problems starting the truck and you didnt break it in correctly, you need a rebuild. difficulty to start, overheating and hard to tune normally means you need a rebuild. what happens during the breakin procces really effects the life of the engine. the piston and sleeve must form a good bond and if you break your truck in at too high rmp, it doesnt conform correctly. the 2.5 is an OK engine for its class. its just not what alot of ppl thought it was from listening to traxxas and magazines reviews. i have my 2.5 tuned great right now only becuase i have just gotten a rebuild and have only ran a quart through. i have been looking for a replacement carb for the 2.5 but have not found one, if anybody knows of one let me know.
    2 T-maxx 2.5's w/Golden Horizons cooling heads, traxxas blue tuned pipe, Hot bodies pipe and header, RR steel spur gears, proline hummer body, aluminum lower a-arms, rear MIP steel half shafts, Motor saver air filer, custom body clip retainers, rpm rims.

RC Qualifier
    That is not a correct statement. I'm just trying to help another hobbist out
    what is wrong with that statement 0260mph??

RC Competitor
    one of my hobby shops said they would trade me my old 2.5 plus 100 bucks for a brand new one so i dunno i might do that or see about gettin a phantom or some other more relayible engine

Originally posted by mASE2ThEMAxX
    what is wrong with that statement 0260mph??
    I believe he was referring to your comment about the 2.5 being an .18 engine.

bro19_04, no matter which engine you choose you may have to tune it on a daily basis, somedays even hour to hour depending on the climate changes.
    Did you buy your T Maxx used?

Did your LHS do a compression test on it?

What were you saying about a 2.5 recall?

You can't go wrong trading your T Maxx + 100.00 for a brand new T Maxx.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left

RC Competitor
    they dunno what a compression test is they just told me to get a new piston an sleeve i bought my t-maxx brand new an they told me that the t-maxx had a defect in it an they recalled them a few months back right around the time i bought mine

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by bro19_04
    lol i already got in trouble here once i know how to stay away from it but i just dont like when ppl tell me to keep this engine when all i been doin with it sense i bought it is fightin with it too get it too hold a tune an run i havent even got too have any fun with it at all an like i said its only 3 months old i just dont want the 2.5 anymore i want somethin thats gonna run without having to play around with it too get it too run
    Then you should buy an electric R/C.
    Originally posted by bro19_04
    sorry i sound so mean but thats all i do day in an day out is fight to get it too run an i'm just tired of doin that an i just want an engine i can relay on to run without haviing to tune it every single day before i run it
    You have to tune every nitro engine that exists before you run it, unless you don't care how it performs or if it wears out prematurely like the engine you have now has. This hobby, especially nitro, takes a lot of time and effort to keep them running properly. You will never own a nitro vehichle that you can just take out and run with no effort. If you want an R/C that requires no effort, get an electric. If you like nitro, start reading every piece of info you can get and learn your engine inside and out, learn to tune (takes a while). These are the prices you have to pay for the reward of a well tuned, healthy engine.

RC Qualifier
    By the sounds of it your pretty fed up with your 2.5 and thats completely understandable, But Traxxas are sort of caught between a rock and a hard place their customers were demanding more powerful engines and the maxx can only handle a .15, The result is the TRX 2.5. It is a fantastic engine once it has a bit of fuel put through it about 1 1/2 gallons for mine. But I still went and bought a sirio engine for more HP and also the ease of tuning. I had the same problem where my TRX would just never fire up but once more fuel went through it it was great. Look its up to you on what you do but with all engines there are going to be minor hiccups. Anyway good luck and in my opinion lay your money down get a sirio break it in well and enjoy

RC Qualifier
    ok ppl lets get this straight, motor= electrical powered engine= peutrol/nitro/combustable substance powered. ARE U ALL NOOBS OR WHAT???? by the way 0260 mph, the 2.5 is a .18 and it is not the best .18 out there! dont get my wrong the 2.5 isnt that bad of an engine. the biggest problem is dificulty to tune. this causes frustration which leads to anger which leads to hate. i NEVER heard of any such "recall" bro19_04, i think your lsn doesnt know what they talkin about. lets hope traxxas admits the difficulty to tune the 2.5 and will fix it with a new version.

also, 0260mph, a well tuned 2.5 will never outperform a well tuned .21 Believe it.
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh. This is the funniest post I have seen in a while. Call someone who is obviously knowledgeable a noob, and then correct his info (which was correct to begin with) with incorrect info. Who's the noob?

RC Competitor
    ok y dont one of ya'll e-mail me with ur name an address an i'll send u my truck an u can keep it for a week an see if any of ya'll can get it too run an if u dont get as fustrated as i am with it u gotta LOT more patience then me

RC Champion
    Send it to Ms. Oval. LOL. J/K. But, she is a expert on these trucks. She has taught me alot about them. Just read the manual again and do a few searches on the forums here. I'm sure you can get it running. And you will feel good about it. Good luck.

I don't need the whole truck, you could send me the engine and HolmWrecker would gladly take a look at it no charge except return shipping.
    Boogity Boogity Boogity, Crank it up.
    I wanna drive the big brown truck, Go Fast .......Turn Left

RC Competitor
    gimme ur info

RC Champion
    Thats wonderful, Ms. Oval. You and Holmwrecker are the best.

RC poster
    My 2.5 has amazing power compared when i had a phantom .18

All i can say is YOU have to tune,fix,play,Figure out everything about your engien. Once you fix it you will have a nice felling of acomplishment that you tuned it to own other .18's

Just Try to Tune (and figure out the probs)

RC Champion
    oval queen you and holmwrecker are awesome better watch those offers though next thing you know you ll be swamped with mistuned 2.5s lol
    My Revo is much faster than yours

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh. This is the funniest post I have seen in a while. Call someone who is obviously knowledgeable a noob, and then correct his info (which was correct to begin with) with incorrect info. Who's the noob?
    Incorrect info? Ovalqueen could you please specify whether or not the TRX 2.5 is a .18 engine or a .15?

RC Qualifier
    This thread gave me a good laugh. I want to thank alot of the folks who made this a good start of my day.
    Addiction causes deep pockets to become empty pockets. If you break it, Reach deeper.
    Proud owner of Hopped Up T-Maxx, E Rusty, sad loss of my 4Tec, and SWIFTing my (2) 1/8th scales past you

RC Qualifier
    by the way 0260 mph, the 2.5 is a .18 and it is not the best .18 out there! dont get my wrong the 2.5 isnt that bad of an engine.

First off, the TRX 2.5 is a .15. It is not a .18. How could the Sirio be a .18 C.I. motor and have 3.0 c.c.??? That means, since the TRX2.5 have 2.5 c.c., it is a .15.

Also, the TRX2.5 can and will beat a sport .21 Tmaxx. I have beat one in a drag race, no questions asked. I am running a 2.5 and I love it.
    If its better reliability you want, get an RB Concept carb that is made for the X15. It holds a better tune, longer. If I remember right, Tony1034 has one on his LMR1.

RC Qualifier
    ...im going to have a talk with that guy at my LHS.......

Edited due to content
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 03-01-2004 at 12:10 PM.

RC Champion
    By Hotwheels "Thanks for giving me a good laugh. This is the funniest post I have seen in a while. Call someone who is obviously knowledgeable a noob, and then correct his info (which was correct to begin with) with incorrect info. Who's the noob?"
    Hotwheels is dead on target with this one.
    LSU TIGERS-SIMPLY THE BEST!

RC Qualifier
    sry if i offended someone by calling them a noob when obviously i was wrong

but there is a difference between a motor and a engine IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast