Thread: projection tv

projection tv

I'am going to be purchasing a new tv and I was wondering if you can play video games on one of these tv's. I don't want to spend the money on one. If I can't play my second hobby. Thanks for any replys...
    If you can't fix it. Smash it with a hammer...If that don't work hit it again...
    Pittsburgh Steelers Superbowl XL Champions, Go Steelers

RC Racer
    my friend has one and he does but it apperntly 'burns' the lens or screen or sumthing and it isnt good for the tv and it creats shadows of the scenes, or at least that what the guy who sold it to him said. i think it would eventually start to look like what the screen on a computer looks like after the same picture is left on for a very long time or when you put a magnet near the tower. but im not sur, just my 2c.
    ®-FoX ®ª¢iⁿG-®

RC Racer
    Some projection TVs will burn in. Pretty much any screen will burn in, even LCDs. The problem occurs when you have portions of the screen that never change (just as health status (if you're good) or points (if you're bad) :-P). Ask around in knowledgable places as to which screen is okay to play your games on.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, that is true. We have a 57" Toshiba projection TV and I play my XBOX and PS2 on it all the time. If I go somewhere, I make sure to turn the TV off or stop playing the game because it will burn the picture right into the screen. That is what the guy said that we bought if from. But, yes you can play games on it just if you have to do something or go somewhere, make sure to turn the TV off or stop playing the game.
    I like to drive my new 17' Sunbird boat and my Jeep Wrangler.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Doesn't matter whether it is a projection TV, conventional CRT, or plasma. A stationary image will "burn in" eventually.

I recently had to replace a PC monitor because the person was using the Windows 98 "Haunted House" screen saver. The outline of the house was clearly visible even when the monitor was turned off! "screen saver" indeed.........

My local McDonald's installed 3 very expensive plasma screens to display the menu. The menu and prices were "burned" into the plasma screens within a few weeks. They replaced them, and now the menu will shift up-down/left-right every few seconds so it doesn't burn into the screen.

Another local sports restaurant has the ESPN logo permanantly burnt into the corners of their projection TV's because they are almost always on ESPN.

A projection TV will "burn in" faster because the tubes have a smaller surface area and run quite hot. (some are liquid cooled!)

Most video games have enough movement and color change to prevent this from happening, but be careful!
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Thanks guys for the replys. I have a 32in reg tv and been playing games on it for almost ten years with no problems, Thats why I was wondering about the prejection ones. Thanks again...
    If you can't fix it. Smash it with a hammer...If that don't work hit it again...

RC Racer
    I'm also getting ready for a new HDTV and resistance to burn in is important to me. My understanding is that the LCD & DLP are FAR more resistant to burn in to the point that they "don't suffer from the burn-in issues" like plazma or conventional projection TVs.

That doesn't mean that any TV is impervious to burn in, but for regular console gaming, LCD or DLP is good.

My choices right now are 1) Samsung 43 DLP 2) sony/panasonic 50 LCD. But I'm waiting for a price point of about $2500 -- right now they are at $3000.

Any other suggestions???

Originally posted by ziplock000
    I'm also getting ready for a new HDTV and resistance to burn in is important to me. My understanding is that the LCD & DLP are FAR more resistant to burn in to the point that they "don't suffer from the burn-in issues" like plazma or conventional projection TVs.

That doesn't mean that any TV is impervious to burn in, but for regular console gaming, LCD or DLP is good.

My choices right now are 1) Samsung 43 DLP 2) sony/panasonic 50 LCD. But I'm waiting for a price point of about $2500 -- right now they are at $3000.

Any other suggestions???
    Wow the ones I'am looking the prices are between 1499.00 and 1900.00. I just can't see to spend that much on a t.v.. But thats me..And where are you looking at these 2 t.v's at. Just so I can look.. Never know I might stop being a little cheap and get one..lol..

RC Champion
    I burned one of my tv's because I left gta vc in the pause menu on too long. I didnt "bun in" the pause menu but whenever you tried watching cable tv the picture would keep moving and fading in and out. Plays dvds and video games perfect though. Tv is now in my room just for video games and dvds.
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 03-07-2004 at 10:59 AM.
    Aim: SubaruBaja502

RC Competitor
    Originally posted by ziplock000
    My choices right now are 1) Samsung 43 DLP
    Excellent choice, Have you noticed the wide viewing angle? The one I was looking at, I could go from side to side, got down on the floor to look up at it and it still looked great. Since TV show rooms almost always put the projection TV’s on a platform so the limited viewing angle of the older projection TV’s are in the sweat spot of the customer standing in front of it.

Tim
    If your dad ask "Do I Look Stupid?" Don't Answer!!

Originally posted by HiTechRdNeck

Excellent choice, Have you noticed the wide viewing angle? The one I was looking at, I could go from side to side, got down on the floor to look up at it and it still looked great. Since TV show rooms almost always put the projection TV’s on a platform so the limited viewing angle of the older projection TV’s are in the sweat spot of the customer standing in front of it.

Tim
    Thats good to know I was worryed about the viewing angle also. Since my living room is'nt that big..I guess I have to look more into this tv...
    Wow I just checked this tv out really nice tv. Little pricy but I think it just might be worth it...
    Last edited by tmaxxfreak; 03-09-2004 at 10:33 AM.

RC Racer
    You can find the Samsung DLPs & Sony/Panasonic LCDs almost anywhere...Circuit City, Best Buy, Sears...The model I'm looking at right now is the 46 inch Samsung DLP at Tweeter. $3300, but you get 6 months free Comcast HD service, which is worth about $400.

I still think it's too much to spend, considering I'll need a progressive scan DVD player ($200), surge protector ($100), & cables ($100). Really too much just to watch TV -- but I'm still trying to justify it.

RC Competitor
    Edit: Sweat should be “Sweet” My spelling sucks.
    Yesterday, I couldn’t spell “Engineer”, today I is one!
    If your dad ask "Do I Look Stupid?" Don't Answer!!