Thread: overheat

RC poster

overheat

i have a problem my truck will idla around 220 -240 and when i make a high speed run it goes to 280-290 until i slow down and then it goes back around 220-240 if i try to richin it it bogs down any ideas

RC Qualifier
    prior to running did u flush out your fuel tank and fuel lines?? if not u may have a small piece of plastic logged into the hsn.also,i would try richening the high speed needle in smaller increments..maybe your turning the needles too much. try these and if they dont work call up traxxas. hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    That doesn't sound too bad to me... Try cutting a round hole in your windshield, in front of the cooling head, and/ or cutting away the "tailgate". More airflow will help. richen the HSN just a teeny bit. The 2.5's are kinda sensitive.

RC Enthusiast
    Breaking in my engine at factory settings it was running at 310
    Then it fluctuated between 280 and 310 (outside temps approx 70)

I have tried everything I have learned in 20 years, I have had people who have been running nitro for 30 years look at it.

Now today (after 6 tanks over the last few) it runs good, then the idle stays up, stalls at the start, stalls after a high speed drive by and the engine is HOT.. no temp guage but my spit test says it is WAY TOO HOT!!!!

Yesterday I had air in the lines, cut our a chunk of line and that part is solved.

Any ideas??? I will flush the tank today and see if it makes a difference.

RC Champion
    well every overheating problem for the revo so far is caused by the hole not cut in the body and the tiny peices of debre in the fuel tank. please read this for flushing the fuel tank and hsn.

RC Enthusiast
    I flushed the tank and the needle, the overheating is happening with the body off.

I Did all that, it is my second plug. McCoy MC9

I will try again, right this moment now we have the truck apart looking at upgrades.

Clayton
    Last edited by Vertigo; 07-21-2004 at 02:59 PM.

when you take a high speed run does it detonate? or does the idle rise? what do you get on your pinch test?

RC Enthusiast
    When I finish a high speed pass the idle stays high until I touch the brake, didnt do a pinch test (Negligent me)

It only does this sometimes however.

RC poster

OVERHEATING

i had a problem with mine it wasnt overheating but it was going up to about 270 after a few runs i tried to fatten it up and it was an instant pooch it has been in the high ninetys here with about 89% humidity i went to my local hobby shop and bought a OS A5 plug and now its holding a tune at about 235 after running it real hard try a os plug youll have to file a point on the tip of the plug for the stock gloplug wire to work i just use a gloigniter instead it makes the battery last longer and it makes for a quicker start i know that traxxas recommends their plugs but i havent had any luck with them

RC Enthusiast
    m/t freak, Thanks for the insight. I will try that, it has been hot here

79 degrees now at 7PM

I will be happy if it is just the weather causing the problem.

Clayton
    Last edited by Vertigo; 07-21-2004 at 09:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    try odonell fuel.

lots of people on this forum say their engine temp is much lower.

hope this helps

david
    I WANNA REVO!!!!!!!!!!! }^( *sniff*
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, however I am opposed to the smell and price of O'donnel fuel

I am running 20% nitro, 16% synthetic 2% less than recomended, 4% more than most car fuels.

RC Qualifier

Re: OVERHEATING

Originally posted by m/t freak
    i had a problem with mine it wasnt overheating but it was going up to about 270 after a few runs i tried to fatten it up and it was an instant pooch it has been in the high ninetys here with about 89% humidity i went to my local hobby shop and bought a OS A5 plug and now its holding a tune at about 235 after running it real hard try a os plug youll have to file a point on the tip of the plug for the stock gloplug wire to work i just use a gloigniter instead it makes the battery last longer and it makes for a quicker start i know that traxxas recommends their plugs but i havent had any luck with them
    i jsut put os glow plug in my truck and plugged the wire on it(haven't try it yet), are you saying that it won't work because the wire won't heat it up?
    that stinks because i bought 3, and my LHS guy told me they will work even with stock wire.
    Last edited by smg323; 07-22-2004 at 07:25 AM.

RC Champion

Re: Re: OVERHEATING

Originally posted by 4G63Turbo

i jsut put os glow plug in my truck and plugged the wire on it(haven't try it yet), are you saying that it won't work because the wire won't heat it up?
    that sucks because i bought 3, and my LHS guy told me they will work even with stock wire.
    The wire will work but it doesnt work very well. The glow ignitor simply starts your engine faster, makes the easy start battery last a lot longer. Overall its one of the best mods to do if you have the easy start.

RC Qualifier
    i like to keep the wire for now, i kind of like it
    will the wire work like with the glowplug that came with a truck, or worst, becuase i had no torublr with wire and stock plug. so nice

RC Qualifier
    I put in a new 3232 plug on tank 3 and haven't had to replace it for 3/4 of a gal. I love the ease of the little blue wire!!!
    blue looks like lightning as it blows by!!!! time to break out the nitro and have some fun!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Did OS start making longer plugs for the 2.5? Last time I checked, the OS plug was too short for the 2.5 which took some of the compression away and therefore affected performance and tuning.

RC poster

glo plug

actually if you look at the traxxas plug and the os plug the traxxas plugs washer is thicker and the os plug has a thinner washer so it dosent make that much of a differance. in the compression everyboby has there preferance but the a5 just makes it cooler running in real hot weather the only differance ive seen is with the cooler plug i can tune it better for power because the hotter plugs make the engine get hotter in hot weather the wire will work if you file the tip so the stock spring will slide down over the tip of the plug because the end is a bigger diameter