Thread: Engine Problems

RC Enthusiast

Engine Problems

I tried this in the Engines forum but no responses yet, so I thought I'd try here

I'm on my 8th tank of gas and at the end of the day my car stalled and I just decided to pack it in. Well now when I hook up my ez start, nothing happens. Both the glow plug light and the motor light turn on. I can turn the motor by hand on the flywheel, and it turns with no resistance. There is no sound at all when I press the button to start it, and the electric motor doesn't flinch at all, neither does the 2.5 .

Any ideas? I would assume this to be an electrical problem, just because I can turn the motor by hand, and with the glowplug out I can watch the piston go up and down. All wires look secure, and appear to have good contact.

Any help is much appreciated

Matt

Banned by Warnings
    maybe your flywheel cut one of the motor wires... the motor light always turns on even when the ez start isnt plugged in... so check the pink and black wires for any cuts.. when u say ur engine turns with no resistance... do u at least still have compression?

RC Enthusiast
    Do any of the lights on the EZ start light up when you hit the button, either in the car or just while holding it in your hand?

Banned by Warnings
    the MOTOR light will turn on anytime the button is pressed, but the glo plug light will only turn on if it is plugged into the car and there is a full circuit... ie the glow plug is connected properly and working...

RC Enthusiast
    All wires look to be in perfect condition. There is compression when turning it by hand yes

When ez start is not plugged in, the motor light turns on yes. When it is plugged in, both the motor and GP lights turn on. I think I'll buy a multi-meter today and check it out when I get off work.

RC Enthusiast
    Have you check the one-way bearing inside the EZ start?

Mark

Banned by Warnings
    hmmm thats very strange... so either a broken ezstar controller or motor... try calling up traxxas...

RC Enthusiast
    Alright guys, problem solved!!!

It seems that the electric ez start motor was just at a deadspot, and so it wasn't able to get itself started spinning. I find it strange that when turning the flywheel it didn't fix it but oh well. Of course I didn't find this out until I had completely removed and dissasembled the ez start system Oh well, a good way to get to know my revo better

I'm curious if this is a common problem with these engines, I talked to my buddy who also has a revo and he said his revo had the same symptoms once and he flicked the ez start motor a few times and it started up fine. Anyhow, hope my frustrations can help some of you guys out too. Thanks for your suggestions.

Matt

Banned by Warnings
    im glad ur problem is solved... ive noticed that sometimes my motor wont turn either... i just figured im not holding the ezstart controller in the socket thing good enough... what do u mean deadspots? i think i know what ur talking about... but im not sure... thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm no expert at all on electric... well on anything really. But from what I understand of how electric motors work, they create magnetic fields which pull the shaft around causing it to spin... horrible explanation I know, but it's the best I've got. So if it comes to a stop at a spot where there is equal magnetic pull from both sides, it won't move.

Or I could be completely wrong, this is only my theory on it. It's been a while since my grade 5 science fair prject on electric motors

Matt