Thread: building a jump

RC Qualifier

buidling a jump

i am thinkin of making a jump out of wood. i have no fancy electric cutters so i am wondering if i can get like home depot to cut if for me. so i need some suggestions on how to build it and the specs for the wood so i can tell the ppl where the cut it(nails or screws etc.). o ya i want BIG AIIIRRRRRR.

RC Competitor
    dont need much, a few 2x4's and a sheet of 5/8 plywood
    will give you enough to build several jumps.

If you have access to a table saw, you can degree
    cut the entrance for the ramp so you dont have
    a ledge.

RC Competitor

5/8" shouldn't be much of a ledge for a REVO.

Please don't take this wrong, I think it's a good idea but just couldn't help but put that in.
    Revo,rusty,blast, what next?

RC Competitor

Please don't take this wrong, I think it's a good idea but just couldn't help but put that in.
    Revo,rusty,blast, what next?

RC Enthusiast
    I think that if you don't have access to stuff to cut wood with, just stick with dirt jumps. They're easier to mess with anyhow, you can change the pitch and kick of it really easy that way.

RC Competitor

Re: If you have access to a table saw, you can degree

Originally posted by Mech.Dale

True, but to make a "good" jump, you dont want the ledge..

Otherwise you'll upset the front end on entrance to the jump.

RC Racer
    I would think using some 1/4" or very flexible wood would work best. Home Depot will make some cuts for you just figure out what width you want the ramp and have them make a few simple cuts for you. Then do a good job of the frame work on the ramp and bend the 1/4" across it. Personally I would take some scraps of 3/4" plywood and cut the desired arc of the ramp into it. Make about 3 of these or so maybe one for every foot of width on the ramp and secure them together with 2"x4"s This will make a solid base. Bend the plywood and nail it down good, you can also get it wet to help bending if needed. Paint it, Put a big sticker on it and have fun.

RC Qualifier
    Go there and scroll about half way down to FastMaxxin's pic of a 4x8 sheet of plywood.... Friends and I built that one and love it huge air easy back flips and front flips..

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ighlight=ramps
    Waiting on Jato 3.3 from LHS.....
    Revo - Equipped w/3.3, Trinity Pipe, 15/36, WGR, FOC, CF Chassis, CF Batt. Tray, CF Rear Tiebar, Integy Alum/CF Tranny Guard, Tekno Servo Mount, Integy Throttle Arm, RPM A-Arms, New Era Pushrods, P2's, Airtronics 357 THR, Airtonics 358 BRK, MS Air Filter, Proline Steering Arm Polished, Bad Horsie Sock Covers, Spektrum DX2 º¿º

RC Qualifier
    We also cut off about 4 to 5 inches off the top of the ramp so we didn't just fly straight up in the air."Slope is everything"

And for the top we used 1/4 sheet so we could bend it easy...
    Revo - Equipped w/3.3, Trinity Pipe, 15/36, WGR, FOC, CF Chassis, CF Batt. Tray, CF Rear Tiebar, Integy Alum/CF Tranny Guard, Tekno Servo Mount, Integy Throttle Arm, RPM A-Arms, New Era Pushrods, P2's, Airtronics 357 THR, Airtonics 358 BRK, MS Air Filter, Proline Steering Arm Polished, Bad Horsie Sock Covers, Spektrum DX2 º¿º

dogface

I made on using flexable wood

so it sagged in the middle, like a skate board ramp, problem is thAT IT KICKED UP THE BACK OF THE TRUCK AND EVEN FULL THROTTLE WAS NOT ENOUGH to correct the nose down attitude. I went to a straight board approach, this tends to launch nose up or even. The sag would be better if it was parabolic sp?.

A friend told me to go to K & B Toys and buy these plastic ramps they sell.

RC Qualifier
    Do not waste your money on those plastic ramps I bought two and never use them they don't send you very high unless you prop up the back and make it higher. BUILD ONE YOURSELF...
    You can make them as wide and high as you wish..

RC Competitor
    Originally posted by l0gik
    I would think using some 1/4" or very flexible wood would work best.
    I build RC (and motocross tracks).

Use 1/4 if you like, but it'll sag and bounce like crazy.

RC Competitor
    Use Plexi-Glass !

Gives the bend for compression... its sweet

click here
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 09-17-2004 at 01:25 PM.
    -DuctTape Revo

dogface

Very sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

nice and level. How was the landing?

RC Competitor
    Very smooth landings.. like a cat

It is bottoming out, but in the grass it does not hurt anything. Most were fairly straight and level others... well wern't lol

Here is one of the front flips..

Hit the jump and nab the brake, I can dang near get two front flips... but ended up ripping the body off..again -I need a video cam to take along next time.. It looks sweet.

All in all I put the long susp kit on with springs and 60 wt oil. I don't race, so I might try 80+ next time.

I am going to cut down the plexi-glass and make wood sides to make it more portable. A steep down hill landing and the jump at top out to result in a 50 foot jump with a smooth transition landing... Glad I got a RC to do this instead of the motocross bikes I used to run this way... ouch!
    -DuctTape Revo

dogface

I think this is muchmore exciting than racing

It takes a cool hand.

I get butterflies, like when I started flying, peg the throttle and tnat wild approach to the ramp....cant getany better.

Your ahead of me..havent done any flips.....but I am going to try.

Totally ripped aprt my header/exhaust on a landing......using a sagging ramp. Waiting on parts....

That is a awesome pic.......nice to see old men like me out there

where do you live?

What kind of garages are behind you..never seen anything like that
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 09-17-2004 at 01:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Airplane Hangars....

Stopped by the parents (They live at an airport/Airpark) to show them what this REVO rage is all about
    -DuctTape Revo

dogface

thanks Ovalqueen

man, your on the ball,,,thanks for moving my thread. Appreciate it.

Bax.thanks

Please, more jump pics.

RC Competitor

Re: thanks Ovalqueen

Originally posted by dogface
    That is a awesome pic.......nice to see old men like me out there
    Who you calling old??? not even 30 yet

If it is cool I can post some more picts gotta resize them first..

I really need to get some video of 'em

Oh, and yes, I know the feeling, butterflies and my steering hand starts shakin'' LOL just knowing at anypoint I'll have to call tower hobbies again.....

I am scared to hit it in 2nd gear.. Might have some body stand back with a net to catch it the first time. Those jumps are about 1/2 throttle in first

This is my first BackFlip - Went full as I hit the ramp, it nailed 2nd gear in the air and went right over backwards, kept going and landed on its lid... oops. Still getting better..

Have a good weekend. I don't want to fill this thing up anymore.. I could learn how to use links I guess..

Skate Park , Half pipe pictures are next... If you have a skate park near by, try it out.. before they put a sign up saying no "Nirto powered RC's"
    Last edited by Bax; 09-17-2004 at 03:37 PM.
    -DuctTape Revo

RC Champion

Re: Re: thanks Ovalqueen

Originally posted by Bax
    Skate Park , Half pipe pictures are next... If you have a skate park near by, try it out.. before they put a sign up saying no "Nirto powered RC's"
    I dunno man... jumping in a skatepark and landing on concrete... sounds expensive.. at least grass is a little padded LOL...

HEY! Im ALOMOST 30 too! (will be on 10/10)
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Competitor
    It’s more technique than it is jumps at a skate park.

Jump over and land on the downgrades or jump up turning and brake to land in a 180 move… U gotta try it!

I suggest not trying a land speed record into the half pipe and shoot to the moon type of jumps... If you do,..... take pictures 'cause I soooo want to try it!
    -DuctTape Revo

RC Champion
    ... and to think.. theres 2 shiny new parks within 15 miles of my house..... cant wait to get those ramps nice and oily for the boys!!! ahahahaha
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

dogface

Thanks!!!!

You be my inspiration..Hopefully my parts will come tomorrow.

If they do, it will rain...hehe

Great pics. Want to jump my garden, its a moderate challenge

ok, probably wont do it.

Onward James....oh yea, geessss I'm 38......

really sorry about that.

RC Qualifier
    lol, ya i dont wanna be devils advocate but my current jump jumps as high as the plastic on in the pic. and i want about 2x higher, lol i know im crazy.

RC Competitor
    HeeeHeee, just hit it faster!
    -DuctTape Revo

RC poster
    I live in Portland and there are like 4 skateparks that I can think of around here that I could hit up. One of my options is Burnside skate part (those who play alot of video games know).

There are a few others that are not quite as big on the jumps and I think they might be safer and a little more technical than the big air that I could catch at Burnside.

There also used to be a BMX track that is rarely used that I want to hit up, but last time I was there was years ago and I dont know if its still there.

I WISH I HAD A VIDEO CAMERA, I could make some cool movies about how to break a Revo the RIGHT way.
    All Revo's are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

RC Competitor

Well Hello from Salem down south of ya...

hey Altse go to this link, about a club Doc Audio is starting...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250248
    -DuctTape Revo

RC Competitor
    ah, you already made it there...

Meet up with you soon!
    -DuctTape Revo