Thread: Revo nightmare

RC poster

Thumbs down Revo carb stripping Issue (and other stuff)

I have had my truck for a total of 3 days as of about 3 hours ago. I have run only traxxas 10% nitro. I'm a beginner, but my brother has a nitro truck and I know how they work just fine, I know the rules and the limits.

First things first, why I went back to base settings was because I used a temp gun on the head on my 5th tank and the first reading I got was 380 degrees. When I found that my engine was running profusely hot, I riched it up a half turn, gave it a few more laps down the street and took the temp again. 380 still. So i gave it another full turn rich, this was a dire situation. Gave it a few more runs (Mind you, the blue smoke pouring out the back was insane and the engine was sluggishly rich at this point) Brought it back in and it had come down to 350. Waaaaay too hot needless to say, I think its time to turn it off to avoid further damage. So I decided that it was time to start at square one again. I went to set the base settings. Here is that story.

The brass fitting that goes into the carburator where the fuel mixture screw is was stripped out at the carb.

I know this because:
    The only change I made to the mixture screw until my 3rd tank was 1/4 turn richer and 1/8 richer on the idle. On the third tank, I riched up the idle about a 16th and riched the fuel mixture about another 1/8.

So here is the procedure I used to reset to base settings:

Seat the fuel mixture screw lightly, rotate counter-clockwise 4 whole turns. Since I was not done with break in I was going to give it a full 4.5 and go from there. The idle screw was set flush, just as suggested.

One problem, when I LIGHTLY (yes I did do it lightly, so save the flaming for somebody who doesn't know what they're doing) seated the mixture screw, I noticed that it turned the brass fitting in the carb and hence slightly rotated the gas line. I did not think much of it at the time, but I started rotating the screw counter clockwise and the brass fitting came with it with absolutely no effort. I assumed that it was just a little loose from the factory, no biggie. I took it all the way out and found that there was black plastic pretty much coating the fitting's threads.

Stripped, from the factory. Mind you this is after about 1.5 full hours of actually running the truck.

I'm gonna call Traxxas and my LHS tomorrow and discuss this, but I can honestly say that all I want is my money back. Mainly because my EZ-start control box also went out but that was the day after I got the truck and my LHS said that they would replace that when they got one back in stock sometime late next week. It just wouldn't heat the glow plug. I know that it was the box because I had a full batt and I used one of my friend's EZ start boxes and it fired the truck right up, even on the same glow plug.

So basically, the engine has been running between 350-400 degrees through break in no matter how rich I made it, which means that the engine is fried, the starter controller is broken and the carb is stripped out.

My current theory is that the fuel mixture could not be properly set to it's base settings because the fitting was shoved in too far, creating extremely lean settings straight outta the box.

The highest reading I got from the engine was 422 degrees. Keep in mind, I was running 10% nitro and had blue smoke pouring out of the pipe at all times, I know its better to run rich than lean, especially for break in.

Well so much for having FUN with my truck, so far it's been absolutely nothing but problems. I just hope I can get my money back or a whole new truck because I know this engine is fried.

I'm really afraid that there isnt gonna be a soul out there that is ready to dismount from the R/C highhorse to realize that this really wasn't my fault, we'll see.

I just want my money back. (yeah right) Or I want a new Revo (yeah right again).

So...I'm gonna get stuck with a brand new burned up engine and a lot less money.

Mike
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 09-21-2004 at 01:51 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    My HSN stripped on it's own without turning it much at all as well. My new carb is on the way, but for now I've sealed it with super glue.

If you got into this hobby without understanding that stuff goes wrong, it's your own fault. Break in is the worst time, period. It get's much better if you have the patience to endure it, but if you think that everything it gonna go smoothe you have another thing coming. The reason your engine is running so hot is because your fuel is leaking out your hsn instead of going to the engine, causing it to run lean.
    Last edited by Mr Durden; 09-21-2004 at 12:47 AM.

RC poster
    Are you paying for the carb?

I ask because I don't really want to. Also, I'm fairly sure that this was the reason that my truck was running so hot, which in turn is going to lead to an engine replacement way sooner than I had planned on doing it.

If you're not paying for the carb, that's great. Its refreshing to know that Traxxas is taking care of you and I look forward to the same.

RC Qualifier
    Give Traxxas a call, im sure they will be able to sort something out.
    Last edited by OvalQueen; 09-21-2004 at 01:52 AM.

Traxxas Employee
    You said

"(Mind you, the blue smoke pouring out the back was insane and the engine was sluggishly rich at this point) Brought it back in and it had come down to 350."

I wonder if your temp gun is way off base (miscalibrated).

If you had air leaks from a stripped HSN then you would experience overheating. But from what you describe with the rich settings (blue smoke etc.) those temps should ahve come way down.

Call Traxxas Support and let them walk through it with you and see if they can isolate the trouble.

RC Competitor
    422 ? Yikes

I must be fortunate, If my engine EVER gets 320 or higher its burns the glow plug out and stalls. At least thats from what I've noticed in the past week that I've had my Revo. Anytime my engine stalls I check the temp, and I'm around 318-322 and have to change the glow plug because the one inside fails on me every time.

I'm new to the hobby (1week) so I'm not sure if my burning out of the glow plugs is normal, but at least its keeping my engine from getting profusiously hot like yours.

Re: Revo carb stripping Issue (and other stuff)

>I'm a beginner, but my brother has a nitro truck
    >and I know how they work just fine, I know the
    > rules and the limits.

Granted.

>Stripped, from the factory.

Quite possible. I wasn't there.

Generally speaking (for onlookers), stripped HSNs and broken carb bodies are usually associated with overly-agressive tightening. This is not a reflection on what happened with your HSN.

>I'm gonna call Traxxas and my LHS tomorrow and discuss this,
    >but I can honestly say that all I want is my money back.

You can certainly want that, and I might have had the same reaction when I was a beginner. Part of the "rules and limits" of hobby class modeling is that if you run a truck you own it. Each part of the model can be replaced or repaired.

I'd call Traxxas and talk about the HSN, engine, 5280, and whatever else is on your mind.

>Mainly because my EZ-start control box also went out but that
    >was the day after I got the truck and my LHS said that they
    >would replace that when they got one back in stock sometime
    >late next week.

Another part of the rules and limits is that Traxxas handles warranty work, not the shops. Many shops will go above-and-beyond to help a customer out, but it's really not their responsibility.

>I just hope I can get my money back or a whole new truck

That is not how hobby class modeling works. If there is a warrantable problem with a model then the manufacturer repairs/replaces the parts that are not working.

>because I know this engine is fried.

Only a repair tech or an experienced nitro modeler would be able to make that call with any degree of acuracy, barring anything obvious like a conrod sticking out of the block.

>I'm really afraid that there isnt gonna be a soul out there that is
    >ready to dismount from the R/C highhorse

{no comment}

>So...I'm gonna get stuck with a brand new burned up engine
    > and a lot less money.

What you're stuck with is some mechanical challenges and a frustrated response to them. I am sad to hear you are having so little fun with the model so far; I love running (and ruining!) mine, and I wish you were having the same experience. There will be breakdowns, wrecks, and frustrations in the hobby; I can promise you that. The key to happiness here is to start taking constructive action ASAP to make sure you take advantage of any warranty program your manufacturer may offer.

If it were my model, I'd make sure my model was registered online then call 888-TRAXXAS and in an emotionally neutral manner explain the issues I was experiencing.

Me: "Hi. I bought a Traxxas Revo on {date} and registered it online. You can probably see my information there. I'm having some problems with it, including an engine problem that may require a warranty inspection. What kind of information do you need from me to get this process started?"

And then sit back and let that famous Traxxas support go to work for you. That kind of approach makes it easy for them to help you get your model back on the road.

I hope your Revo is running soon.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin

RC poster
    I think this was obvious to all but for the record "Yup I was venting."

It has been a nightmare so far...but from the reactions on got on this post alone, I can see that I'm not going to have as much trouble as my frustration led me to believe.

BIG THANKS! to the traxxas employee posters that read this and put some time into their responses. Traxxas will do well because of employees like you.

I'm workin right now, and have not had time to talk to my LHS or Traxxas, but I'm planning on getting ahold of somebody tonight and (obviously) I'm much more optimistic about the outcome.

RC poster
    Sounds like your temp gun is not calibrated correctly. Here is a good test for checking the calibration of your temp gun. Fill a glass full of ice, preferabbly crushed ice, then fill with water. Allow the ice water to acclimate a minute or two then check the temperature with your thermometer at the dead center top of glass. If your your temp gun is calibrated correctly it should read 32 degrees farenheit, or 0 degrees celsius. This is a tried and true method used by refrigeration and air conditioner repair men.

RC Qualifier
    Why are you using 10% nitro that is probably your main problem right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! at least go to 20% and start retuning bet those temps drop
    love my revo

RC Champion
    you guys read the date when this was posted? 09-21-2004, 05:24 AM back in 2004. how and where did you find this thread at?
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Champion
    BNR in Paulding County,live in Bartow countyGeorgia
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowThunder
    you guys read the date when this was posted? 09-21-2004, 05:24 AM back in 2004. how and where did you find this thread at?
    WOW, I didnt even notice either, thanks for pointing that out.
    Traxx Pede stock for now with Futaba 3pl Radio

RC Qualifier
    Once I saw the 10% nitro I just went blank
    love my revo