Thread: Panther Tires

RC Racer

Panther Tires

I am considering buying some new race tires for this upcoming season. I have been hearing very good things about these Panther tires.

I am currently running 40 series bowties but I think on our tight track it is hindering me in the twisties.

Here is my question, which tire is better between the Pythons and Komodos? They both look good.

Also they should mount up on the Gemini rims right, if not which rims should they work on.

Thanks for the help.

RC Qualifier
    Just don't get those widened low-profile buggy tires that are supposed to be for monster truck racing. I hate those things, and IMO, they should not be allowed in any MT class.

That said, get the Pythons.

Other choices for mini spikes would be cut Bowties or Pacmans
    Revo w/ FOC, Qoncepts RBBC Stage 3-Shoe, Roto-start STS .28 with 37spur/20cb, P3 suspension, Single HS-5645MG. Ti rods and pins. Ti pillow balls,Ti stub axles, and AL rocker post.

RC Racer
    Really? They fit on the stock wheel right? If that is the case what is the big deal, I mean yeah they are low profile but that is wat makes a racing tire.

Anyway thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    The Pythons are the MT tire. The LP Komodos are the tire that resembles an 1/8 scale tire.

You would do fine with the Pythons and they do fit Gemini/Hurricane wheels. If your track is hardpacked and tight, you should look at using the P3 rockers as well.
    I was fast.... Now I just hack!
    I Have SRS (Short Revo Syndrome)

RC Racer
    Ok, cool so the Pythons are good to go then. Hey would you use the soft or med. soft???

I am currently running the Stage 2 rockers, due to the fact that the track does hve some rough spots, but maybe I should give it a try. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by MOTRAIN; 01-17-2005 at 01:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    I would get the med soft if you want them to last longer. Get soft if you can afford to get new ones more often.

Banned by Warnings
    Where can I purchase Panthers?None of the lhs around here have them.

RC Competitor
    I also have both komodo and python I would get the python because you wont have to gear different. Also you won't have people cry that you have an advantage.

RC Racer
    I am buying them from Stormer Hobby, they have them for 23.95/PR.

So the Komoto tire is ment for 1/8 scale buggy? But people are using them for MT? I did not know that.... no wonder there is a dispute over them.

Has there a problem with running the pythons? Any disputes over them? Also what Foams are you guys running in the pythons?

Banned by Warnings
    You can buy direct from Panthertire.com, shipping is free.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by TurtleRacing
    Where can I purchase Panthers?None of the lhs around here have them.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...509eeb2ebd6ed7

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by MOTRAIN
    So the Komoto tire is ment for 1/8 scale buggy? But people are using them for MT? I did not know that.... no wonder there is a dispute over them.

Has there a problem with running the pythons? Any disputes over them? Also what Foams are you guys running in the pythons?
    The LP Komodo resembles a 1/8 scale tire but it is meant to fit on a T-Maxx size rim. (if I have that incorrect please correct me) I do not have a set but have seen them.

There are no problems with the Python. The tire is a bit heavy compared to others, but we just went out last night with ours and ran .6 sec off of the track record single lap of a 1/8 buggy with a Revo. Obviously the MT record was set as well. In fact there was 25 1/8th buggies and the MT TQ time would have started 4th in the A-Main for 1/8 buggies.

The foam with the Pythons is much better than what you get with a Losi or ProLine tire. We use them and have had good luck so far.
    I was fast.... Now I just hack!
    I Have SRS (Short Revo Syndrome)

RC Racer
    Wow, sounds like they worked great. What compound were you using?

Banned by Warnings
    Another poster mentioned the weight of the Pythons. He ain't kidding, the Pythons are heavier than the stock Talons. The overall weight increase is 0.75lbs compared to the SportTraxx tires Unfortunately, the added weight is the worst kind: it's both unsprung and perimeter weight which increases rotational inertia.

On the plus side, the extra rubber makes them much more durable than the thin, fragile Sporttraxx tires which should only be used on a soft loamy surface.

If you're racing, perhaps you should consider the, ahem, Response tires when they finally arrive.

RC Qualifier
    Aren't the response tires going to be thin like the sporttrax though. They are also billed as lighter than the stock revo tires.

Glenn
    HaterRacing. Drive it like you hate it!!!!!

Banned by Warnings
    Yes, you're right. My point is that the Sporttrax and Response are track only type tires. Their lightweight construction favors the track, the price you pay is durability.

RC Racer
    Well IF the response tires ever come out then I will get them too.... cant ever have too many tires to try on race day!!!

I don't get what your saying red. Thin and Fragile Sporttraxx tires? I don't see how they're thin or fragile. They last just as long as the Panther tires, and Sporttraxx tires are not a track tire. They are mainly used for bashing. The pins are way too long to be used on the track. Sure they can hook up pretty good but not like a Bowtie.

Last edited by OneBigMan647; 01-18-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Banned by Warnings
    Originally posted by OneBigMan647
    I don't get what your saying red. Thin and Fragile Sporttraxx tires? I don't see how they're thin or fragile. They last just as long as the Panther tires, and Sporttraxx tires are not a track tire. They are mainly used for bashing. The pins are way too long to be used on the track. Sure they can hook up pretty good but not like a Bowtie.
    Sorry, gotta disagree. After about 4 tanks this weekend of running around a construction site, my brandnew Sporttraxx knobs were severely worn/rounded with tears and holes developing along the bead, particularly the rear tires.

Have you compared the two side by side? The construction is very different between them, the Pythons are heavy, thick, and relatively stiff. The Sporttraxx's are just the opposite.

I find it extremely hard to believe that your Sporttraxx tires were gone just from 4 tanks. What surface were you running on.

Who else has the sporttraxx tires, how long is it lasting for you?

RC Qualifier
    another thing to consider is the mounting bead difference. The current Komodo's have conventional beads meant for "standard" wheels (i.e. Pro-lines, etc.). The Pythons have "1/8 scale" style Revo beads for Hurricanes, Gemini's, etc.

Net - your tire choice will dictate your wheel options.
    I approve of this message

RC Qualifier
    My local track has a ban on the Komodo LP tires, for obvious reasons. They are so short you get massive handling and acceleration.

Even the Unlimited guys are forced to run without the Komodos.

RC Competitor
    thats the link to Panthers website?

RC Champion
    I have the sporttraxx tires on my Revo, they are not too bad on my track, but the tread design of the response tires seems like it will be better. I have a set of dirt bonz on aluminum wheels that weigh exactly the same as the stock talons on gemini rims. I am also getting a set of panther LP's for my Revo, our track is not sanctioned and has no rules banning them. I am going to run them on my aluminum rims because they have a good off set. As for my sporttraxx, they are holding up fine, I always ran them on my t-maxx and never had problems with longevity either. for bashing I have some proline max mashers on t-maxx sporttraxx wheels. All of my wheels are T-maxx/ savage except for my Revo Sporttraxx tires on hurricane rims.