RC poster

Question Plasti-Dip for Receivers / Optidrive

I have tried searching on this and found nothing so I will open it up to the masses.

Can you plastidip the receiver and optidrive? In most cases I see that people choose to balloon these items or dip the entire receiver box (Wisconson Nitro RC - Waterproofing ). Unfortunately on the Revo this is not an easy task due to the size of the Receiver box.

Why can't you do something like this but with Plasti-Dip?:
    How to waterproof a RX

And for the optidrive just use CLEAR plastidip?

I am relatively new to Nitro RC and waterproofing so any thoughts are appreciated.

Matthew

Banned by Warnings
    don't

get ballons what ever color your choice, then u stick the optidrive in there pull out all the wires through the opening and place a zip tie SUPER tight around the end trim the extra balloon off the end

no water will get in I use the same method and I already drove my revo in the rain and snow

RC poster
    Originally posted by N350Z
    don't

get ballons what ever color your choice, then u stick the optidrive in there pull out all the wires through the opening and place a zip tie SUPER tight around the end trim the extra balloon off the end
    I understand that many balloon the optidrive. Perhaps you can help me understand why you don't recommend it and some discussion can occur about that.

Matthew
    Last edited by mdknapp; 01-18-2005 at 07:30 PM.

i run with plasit dip on my revo. On the steering servos, reverse servo, and the throttle servo. I left everything else out, like the reciever and my failsafe. I have not encountered a problem yet.
    But yes, i know a friend who dipped his reciever in there, but im not sure about your optidrive.

Banned by Warnings
    If you use plastidip or any other conformal coating, you may run the risk of detuning the tuned elements such as the local oscillator or filters, depending on the dielectric constant properties of the material and where its applied. You may want to apply the coating in small areas at a time, testing after each area to make sure things are still ticking.

Banned by Warnings
    well to be honest it is ver simple I didnt dip the opti drive because it has lights and a button that needs to be pressed.

and the reciever where there crystal plugs in and where all the j connectors plug in well, how are u gonna cover that ? if u cover it and then reove it its not water proof, catch my drift?

just balloon them and put a zip tie around them VERY tight, they will be safe in there also balloon your battery pack trust me it works.

RC Champion
    I didn't dip any of my parts but rather put it on with a brush. That way I was able to do a nice thin coat over just the parts I wanted. If you want to coat it, I'd wrap the reciever in tape first, and then do the coating. That way there is a lower chance of it getting in through the tiny cracks. Leave the top open, so you cn change frequencies and servos (if necessary).
    All the witty signature need over 50 characters...

Banned by Warnings
    the best thing to do is dip the servos balloon the reciever, opti-drive, and battery pack

RC poster
    Thanks for all the replies thus far!

Originally posted by N350Z
    I didnt dip the opti drive because it has lights and a button that needs to be pressed.
    That is why I suggested using clear plasti-dip so the lights can still be seen. As far as the button on the opti-drive, from my experience, I don't think plasti-dip would prevent the button from being pressed as it seems pretty flexible even when fully cured. You could just dip the optidrive in this case with all the j-connectors plugged in.

...reciever where there crystal plugs in and where all the j connectors plug in well, how are u gonna cover that ? if u cover it and then reove it its not water proof, catch my drift?
    The link I included was for waterproofing the board inside the receiver. redexces suggests this may cause a detuning of the RX receiver. The discussion of detuning elements of the receiver goes over my head a little... would Plasti-dip be different from the epoxy used in the included link or does this approach possibly cause the same detuning effects?
    revo, 40T Spur Gear, p2 rockers, 50wt shock oil, tan rear springs, green front springs, plasti-dipped servos

RC Qualifier
    I would imagine clear plastidip would work swell for the optidrive.

Even if it doesn't you can always peel the plastidip off. I wish my local stores had clear plastidip.

I guess I will end up balloning my recievier and optidrive but I definatly would like to have my optridrive visible. Not sure what I will do. I'm guessing there's a reason people aren't using ziplock type bags?

Although clear balloons would be hard to find, I can think of one thing that would work well. However I don't know if it the mods would find it appropriate to post.
    -Your mind is twisted, mine's sprained.-

Banned by Warnings
    here dude

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/3527/10006455yw.jpg

thats what my reciever and opti drive looks like ballooned

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/8495/10006448hb.jpg

that is what my opti drive looks like with the case cover on, notice I can still pus the buttom and then the truck is on I can see both lights.

and that works perfect.

RC Champion
    I put my receiver in this and put a piece of scrap lexan under the receiver and plasti-dipped the whole thing. Turned out pretty good.
    Got nitro?

Nice ballooing N350Z, i need bigger balloons, because i use the smallers medium sized once, they are preety hard to put on. Well, here are pics of my servos plastidipped, also, i have my battery ballooned, but you cant see it, its hidden down there.
    Steering servos:

Throttle and Reverse servos:

Now i need bigger ballons for my failsafe and reciever......
    Last edited by 18t turbo; 01-18-2005 at 10:12 PM.

RC Competitor
    I used plasti-dip everywhere.

I dipped one of the steering servos, and painted the other. I did this to see which one goes out first. I brushed heavily around the connectors on the reciever, and repeated once it was dry. I brushed over everything on optidrive except the lights. You are still able to push the button with plasti-dip over it.

I even put pieces of tape on the left box to make the holes where the servo linkages come through smaller and then brushed over that. Then I brushed it on the outside of each box and all around the base as well, just in case.

Apply liberally was my motto. After that was all said and done, I drove my REVO through water that washes over the road at a local park. We are not talking about slow through 1" water once. I drove in that water for the better part of three hours, trying to mess something up.

At the end of the day, my worst problem was getting the water out of my tires. Which I have since fixed thanks to this forum!!! I had no problems what-so-ever with water damage even to this day. I am running out in the snow now, happy as ever.

If I had to do it all over again (which I will ) I will instead balloon in those spots that need access regularly. It would have saved me much time and not much money.

RC poster
    Originally posted by nasstjnlj
    I used plasti-dip everywhere.

... I brushed heavily around the connectors on the reciever, and repeated once it was dry. I brushed over everything on optidrive except the lights. You are still able to push the button with plasti-dip over it.

I even put pieces of tape on the left box to make the holes where the servo linkages come through smaller and then brushed over that. Then I brushed it on the outside of each box and all around the base as well, just in case.
    Sounds awesome! With clear plasti-dip seems you could cover the whole opti-drive.

Do you have any pictures? They would really help.

Originally posted by nitrobasher
    I put my receiver in this and put a piece of scrap lexan under the receiver and plasti-dipped the whole thing. Turned out pretty good.
    That's a great idea. Does it fit into the receiver box with the lexan cover? Any Pics?

Again, thanks to all for the posts!
    revo, 40T Spur Gear, p2 rockers, 50wt shock oil, tan rear springs, green front springs, plasti-dipped servos

RC Competitor
    sorry, no pics, can't find the cord for the camera.

I did the entire opti-drive in black and just put a small piece of tape over the lights and brushed over those edges as well. The tape kept the lights visible, and the button was completely covered. Unless you thin out the plasti-dip, it won't seep in and congest the button or the workings of any electronic device.

Coming from someone who works with automotive electronics every day, water is as bad as lightning to electronics. Problems can arise much later than the cause. Corrosion is doing the work, eliminate that and you solve your problems. When I attended my trade school, we experimented with putting circuit boards into 2 part epoxy molds. We were easily able to eliminate ANY water problems, and make any desired shape at the same time. Only the wires were exposed. I realize this is not practical for something like a crystal jack, which is why I haven't tried it on mine. The resin is easy to find, easy to work with, and clear enough to see everything encased.

redexces

If you use plastidip or any other conformal coating, you may run the risk of detuning the tuned elements such as the local oscillator or filters, depending on the dielectric constant properties of the material and where its applied

I am also confident that you won't be de-tuning anything on the revo with plasti-dip. In the wet condition, the possibility for the material to conduct electricity is increased, but not with low voltage applications such as this. Once dry, plati-dip will only be a problem when talking about heat buildup.

RC poster
    Once dry, plati-dip will only be a problem when talking about heat buildup.
    Is heat buildup an issue on RX and optidrive units? Do you think plasti-dip insulate the electronics too much?

RC Competitor
    I have not had problems with any heat buildup on mine.

Well...that is to say... I have not had any malfunctions caused from heat buildup.

Heat buildup is more likely an issue with servos in the summertime. My plasti-dip application wasn't on during warm weather very long. I am also running the stock servos, higher performance servos could be a different story.

RC Competitor
    I also wanted to re-emphasize in my first post where I said that I would balloon if I did it again.

I bash backyard style, breaking this or that all the time. I'm not a serious racer or anything, and only entered the sport at the end of summer this last year.

There are serveral guys on here that suggested balloons, guys that probably tried this all before.

Do what makes you happy, all methods seem to work. Just weigh your choices, and look at who is making the suggestions.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not a serious racer or anything, and only entered the sport at the end of summer this last year.
    Only if you flip your truck over all the time.
    -Your mind is twisted, mine's sprained.-

RC Competitor
    Gonzo..

ALL the time!!!

I had real tuning issues till I gave up and mounted the gas tank upside down

*j/k...don't try that!