Thread: Avatar Pic

RC Racer

Question Avatar Pic

Ok I am sure there has been a million of these, but I did a search and didn't find anything. How the heck can I put an avatar pic to show up? I just can't figure it out.
    hey all check out http://usvsworld.com:8081/joe/

RC Champion
    sorry to tell you this, but you can only have an avatar on here if you are a moderator or administrator. ya i know, i wanted one too. maybe we should ask them if we can have one? maybe worth a try?
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, Fifteen percent concentrated power of will Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...

RC Racer
    i agree with Pede. As long as they are not offensive I don't see the problem with it alot of other site have them.Even if we have to choose from a list,set up and given out by the moderators.And maybe after a certain # of posts or activity you can choose you own as long as it is OK'd.

RC Champion
    wow, very well said NJ. i definatly agree with wat you said. as long as they are appropriate, there should be no problem with having one. so come ppl! lets all help make this a reality!
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, Fifteen percent concentrated power of will Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...

Tervuren
    Sorry guys, but you are off here. Its 2500 posts.

RC Champion
    well thats wat we're tryin to change, you should be able to have an avatar no matter how many posts you have. right guys?

RC Champion
    THink, if the forty three thousand + people had an avatar on this board, imagine the bandwidth it would take up, and how slow this board would be. That is why they don't allow you to host the picture right from here. Just be grateful that Traxxas is giving us this board to discuss their products, no other production company does this in R/C. I am completley happy with it now, in about a year I would have reached 2500 posts and will get an avatar, just do that same if it means that much to you. Just remember to keep the posts informationable and not pointless.
    4X4 Stampede With: Dual Permax 600's with EVX, 2400 Sanyo packs, Aluminum idlers, RPM Clawz, Imex Truck Pull tires, 645MG Servo, Big Bores, RR Pinon and Spur, Metal Camber's, Swami's Aluminum C-hubs, Hardened Steel Yokes, Ruslter Bell-crank, Deans Toped Off with a Rustler Body.

RC Champion
    you should try not to bouble post, lol. but don't worry bout it. anyways i don't think this post was pointless at all, and im sure alot of ppl would agree with me thier. im not sayin im not happy with the board, in fact i love it, its such a good place to get info on just about anything related to traxxas. i would be nowhere if it wasn't for these boards. all im sayin, is some ppl would like to have a avatar, just to help express their personality, etc. y should stuff like that be reserved only for the ppl you 2500 posts? isn't that kinda being mean, or watever, by more so, devideing the ppl of these boards into 2 groups? don't u think we should all just be equal? think about it...

RC Champion
    Shure, if you would like to pay the bandwidth for this board. It would slow it down alot too. No its not splitting people into groups, its just the board respecting the person for being here for this long.
    4X4 Stampede With: Dual Permax 600's with EVX, 2400 Sanyo packs, Aluminum idlers, RPM Clawz, Imex Truck Pull tires, 645MG Servo, Big Bores, RR Pinon and Spur, Metal Camber's, Swami's Aluminum C-hubs, Hardened Steel Yokes, Ruslter Bell-crank, Deans Toped Off with a Rustler Body.

Banned by Warnings
    you need 2500 POST to have a avatar and the image size is 30x30. no big deal becuase its hard to find a cool picture for it at 30x30 size!!

It's not that hard!

Since the avatars are loaded directly on the forum server, it would have a huge effect on bandwidth and disk storage if everyone had one. The way it is now, you have to earn it, which is pretty cool. You have to stick around for a while. You also have to keep your posts informative and on topic, padding your post count is not tolerated. Besides, this is a free forum. Traxxas spends a lot of money for us to be here. Complaining about the way they run it is disrespectful.
    Last edited by newfrontier45; 05-01-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Originally posted by pedelover
    you should try not to bouble post, lol. but don't worry bout it. anyways i don't think this post was pointless at all, and im sure alot of ppl would agree with me thier. im not sayin im not happy with the board, in fact i love it, its such a good place to get info on just about anything related to traxxas. i would be nowhere if it wasn't for these boards. all im sayin, is some ppl would like to have a avatar, just to help express their personality, etc. y should stuff like that be reserved only for the ppl you 2500 posts? isn't that kinda being mean, or watever, by more so, devideing the ppl of these boards into 2 groups? don't u think we should all just be equal? think about it...
    So you need a 30x30 image to display your personality, as 2500 posts just don't cut it? I'm not sure I see the logic in that...
    As has already been mentioned, avatar images are hosted locally on the forum server. It's already taxed at peak usage, and the addition of countless avatars would only further slow the boards.
    Also, consider that if every post had an avatar attached, there would be close to 1,900,000 individual images to load.

All in all, it's just not practical.
    Bob
    Six in a row makes it go.

It wasn't that hard to find a 30 by 30 picture. Just use a editing program and change the size of it.

Tervuren
    Originally posted by BobR

So you need a 30x30 image to display your personality, as 2500 posts just don't cut it? I'm not sure I see the logic in that...
    As has already been mentioned, avatar images are hosted locally on the forum server. It's already taxed at peak usage, and the addition of countless avatars would only further slow the boards.
    Also, consider that if every post had an avatar attached, there would be close to 1,900,000 individual images to load.

Bob
    Bob, go by users, not posts. it uses the same image for each ser, even in multiple posts. So 43,018 rather. I see no problem with the current system.

Banned by Warnings
    Originally posted by Tervuren

Bob, go by users, not posts. it uses the same image for each ser, even in multiple posts. So 43,018 rather. I see no problem with the current system.
    Yeah, once an image is loaded once, you don't need to load it again unless you clear your cache.

There are forums where you can have avatars, but instead of "uploading" the image, you have it hosted and put in the link for it, there you go, no hit on traxxas bandwidth.

RC Qualifier
    I like having a select few with avatars, when scrolling, it gives you somone to look out for, if they have some form of picture near their name, they probibly know whay they are saying.
    i WIN

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by 72'dolphins
    It wasn't that hard to find a 30 by 30 picture. Just use a editing program and change the size of it.
    Problem is that I have no idea what your avatar is!

One of the reasons why custom avatars are not allowed for everyone, is that it would be a major hassle to moderate them. A good numer of users would choose innapropriate avatars (for this G rated site) and it would be a nightmare for the mods and admins. If they were externally hosted, it would eliminate the server load - but then you'd just get a good number of "pretty red X's" because of unreliable picture hosting and/or user error.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Originally posted by BobR

Bob
    You guys are right but... it would be possible to have an avatar gallery where people with less posts can choose one but not upload.

As for cache, some people like me who understand the problems with caching dont even use it.

offset, that is rediculous. And a lot of people still think i dont know anything.

RC Champion
    Heh, were in the same boat (20 + warning points)

30X30 is a little small for an Avatar, or they appear small. You could get away with larger ones. The posts's look a little funny with these small little photo's that don't evan fill out the space. How much harder would it be to host them bigger. I don't know much, but would the bandwidth be all that much greater?

If you keep them limited to the space they are now, it would take the same bandwith, though image quality woulh suffer.

I use another rc forum, they let everyone have an avatar, but not everyone uses it. I think they limit to like 100x100 sizo, I have a small pic of a non traxxas vehicle I own there. Won't mention the name....those warning points!

We aren't in the same boat. I have 3 times the posts you do. You act worse then I do! heh

RC Champion
    Nah, you got more than me
    I try hard..
    Well you look and BobR's avatar is large, but it must be only 30X30 res right?

Banned by Warnings
    Originally posted by arceeguy
    One of the reasons why custom avatars are not allowed for everyone, is that it would be a major hassle to moderate them. A good numer of users would choose innapropriate avatars (for this G rated site) and it would be a nightmare for the mods and admins. If they were externally hosted, it would eliminate the server load - but then you'd just get a good number of "pretty red X's" because of unreliable picture hosting and/or user error.
    Hard to moderate them... well then, be super strict, if the avatar is "innapropriate", give a week long ban, if it happens again, perma-ban. Punishment such as this would make people think twice about seeing how much they can get away with.

Pretty red X's.... 1. Most forums have the option to disable avatars from showing up in the first place, so you could do that if a red x annoys you that much
    2. red x's don't show up with firefox

Originally posted by E-maxxin_man
    Nah, you got more than me
    I try hard..
    Well you look and BobR's avatar is large, but it must be only 30X30 res right?
    His is 99x100

In phpbb, an admin can disable a users ability to use avatars for bad people. I'm sure vb has that too.

Originally posted by newfrontier45
    It's not that hard!

Since the avatars are loaded directly on the forum server, it would have a huge effect on bandwidth and disk storage if everyone had one. The way it is now, you have to earn it, which is pretty cool. You have to stick around for a while. You also have to keep your posts informative and on topic, padding your post count is not tolerated. Besides, this is a free forum. Traxxas spends a lot of money for us to be here. Complaining about the way they run it is disrespectful.
    I can't say it any better, so I completely agree and second this post.
    In phpbb, an admin can disable a users ability to use avatars for bad people. I'm sure vb has that too.
    It's not an issue of being able to, it's an issue of moderating them, which, even if 20% (1/5) of users use an avatar, is still a little over 8,600 pictures. You can't expect Traxxas to devote an employee's time into checking them all, or for them to ask a voluntary mod to.

Yeesh people, it's a free, public board. Get over it.

Isn't it funny how the members with avatars tell the members without them to get over it? Hahahahahaha!

P.S. - Mine is 30x30. If it looks like 100x100, it's just an optical illusion.

lol razer.
    There are images that will look slightly bigger in 30x30 though..for example my dreamcast logo!

RC Qualifier
    You know, I don't see the big deal about avatars. i would rather be remembered for the quality of my posts than the picture I choose.
    Back once again, its the Renegade Master

me too.