RC Competitor

Repairing EZ start controller

Is there a way to repair a controller that the glow side no longer works on ??
    Yes, I know that are not expensive to replace, and yes, I know a seperate glow ignighter is better anyway...just curious as I have a couple of bad ones.

( I also searched but found nothing...)

The problem is in the EZ start controller design. When the EZ start motor is under load and you release the red button, a back EMF pulse is generated and blows a part(LM358) out in the glow plug circuit. To fix the EZ start controller you have to change the LM358. I also suggest adding a diode to the circuit so that it doesn't happen again. I made a one page App note that describes the problem and fix

EZ start App note

For those who dont solder and get a new controller, at least place the diode across the red and black wires on the EZ start motor. The diode I use is the P6KE27A. I place them in the EZ start controller when I have it open to replace the LM358.

I have repiared 4 EZ start controllers by following the App note. The failure is more a function of the EZ start motor in the car than the actual controller.

Banned by Warnings
    Mine went aswell but never noticed cause I use a ignighter...
    Is that fixed in the easystart 2.?

Originally posted by Cid6.7
    Mine went aswell but never noticed cause I use a ignighter...
    Is that fixed in the easystart 2.?
    No, you still fry them in the EZ-Start 2.

RC poster
    I sent mine back to Traxxas a week ago and they sent a new one fedex to me yesterday. I would recommend calling them and seeing if your model is one of them included in the defect.

It's not a defect, it's there is nothing defective in the way they were made. Even if you get a new one you still have the same chance of frying it again. With the diode you will never burn out anouther one.

RC Racer
    Where did you get the diode from ?? With radioshack have them ?? Thanks

RC Racer
    a shocky diode???????????

Yes, you can get them at Radioshack, or online at www.digikey.com

It's just a diode. A Schottkey diode is a special diode that is used on electric RC cars to improve braking, with forward only speed controls.

RC Racer
    I got some diodes. How do you get the board out of the controller . It seems like its stuck in there like the silver heat sink you see in there in glued or something . I dont want to break it . Or is it just easier to put the diode across the terminals on the motor itself . Let me know . Thanks

RC poster
    my diode blew up so i exchanged for a new one on ez staret 2 but still does not work so i guess the lnm 358 also went eve thoug ut does not look like it

Old thread, and huh?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by giktek View Post
    my diode blew up so i exchanged for a new one on ez staret 2 but still does not work so i guess the lnm 358 also went eve thoug ut does not look like it
    I dunno about that, we replaced that 358 chip in our glow plug wand, but it still doesn't work.
    back

RC poster
    Hello. I have an EZ-start 2 the problem is that a Zenner diode is burned. in the circuit board says D4 I could indicate what the number Zenner diode to replace
    Last edited by Cayoortiz; 08-14-2015 at 04:57 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayoortiz View Post
    Hello. I have an EZ-start 2 the problem is that a Zenner diode is burned. in the circuit board says D4 I could indicate what the number Zenner diode to replace

I haven't found any code on it, looks like number 5 printed

RC Racer
    Resurrected for a third time! Rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

lololololololol. This thread just wont die!
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 72'dolphins View Post
    The problem is in the EZ start controller design. When the EZ start motor is under load and you release the red button, a back EMF pulse is generated and blows a part(LM358) out in the glow plug circuit. To fix the EZ start controller you have to change the LM358. I also suggest adding a diode to the circuit so that it doesn't happen again. I made a one page App note that describes the problem and fix

EZ start App note

For those who dont solder and get a new controller, at least place the diode across the red and black wires on the EZ start motor. The diode I use is the P6KE27A. I place them in the EZ start controller when I have it open to replace the LM358.

I have repiared 4 EZ start controllers by following the App note. The failure is more a function of the EZ start motor in the car than the actual controller.
    hi do you still have the EZ start app note (not on internet- link not found)

Quote Originally Posted by lourensvdw View Post
    hi do you still have the EZ start app note (not on internet- link not found)
    Probably won't even read the message as he/she has not been on the boards since 2005.
    The Super Derecho