RC Qualifier

super glue,vs ca glue?

i recently glued a pair of rims and tires with super glue and they practily came off the rim,is there a difrence in the 2 glues?,,also i broke my aentenna off my trans mitter,,,is that a part i shopuld be able to get at the lhs?thanks keith

RC Qualifier
    CA glue has a special ingredient, its called Cyano Acrilate or something but thats what bonds the rubber to the plastic so well. You should be able to order the part from your hobby shop depending on the radio. Oh here read this: http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/glues.html
    Last edited by Wheels; 06-22-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

RC Qualifier
    If you read the "ingredieant" on super glue, it actually contains CA... As far as I know, there is no differense.

HOWEVER, there is a differnese in quality of the "super glue", bu a decent brand not the "Dollar General" brand and it will work just fine for you...

RC Racer
    To my nose, Loctite smells the same but cheaper than CA, a friend said that although they smell like each other, they have different viscosities. But I am going to try loctiting my response set on geminis this weekend.

Do you use TQ3? You should be able to buy just the antenna and then screw it into your TQ3 transmitter to replace the broken one. I saw my lhs had it on display.
    Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers.

RC Champion
    I just usually use the quicktite brand of super glue to glue my tires to my wheels and it seems to work pretty good but you have to reglue the tries after a couple of months but other than that it works great for me.
    When i'm driving my maxx it's pure carnage baby. t-maxx 2.5 with, sirio bb pipe, motorsaver airfilter, trinity 8 lb springs,cnr head,xtm aluminum wheels, alum chassis braces and skids,proline 2004 f-150 body, mip aluminum shock bodies.

Banned by Warnings
    CA comes in different forms. They sell water thin stuff and the gooy stuff.
    You also get more CA per dollar than super glue
    I think you only get a little tube of super glue and you get a whole bottle of CA I think*

CA is good stuff. I perfer it over super glue.

RC Champion
    CA glue and super glue are virtually the same. Cyanoacrylate is the active ingredient in both products. They modulate the quantity and viscosity (through additives) of CA, but both are essentially the same. As for locktite, I would not use that on tires and wheels because for one, it isn't ment to bond to rubber and two, its drying time can take 10 minutes to an hour (superglue takes less than a minute). Locktite is definately not the right thing for this application. Additionally, which locktite were you planning on using? Blue locktite is medium bond and won't hold the tire well even if it bonded well with rubber. Red locktite is stronger, but it isn't ment for anything other then metal to metal threaded surfaces.
    Every time I tell myself I've purchased everything I want for my Revo, something new and invariably expensive comes along. I'm hemorrhaging money....

RC Racer
    Oh really?? Thanks a lot Darkhaven... I'll skip the experiment then. Shouldn't trust my nose on this and save my response tyres for CA glueing later.
    Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers.

Banned by Warnings
    lock tight and thread lock eats plastic and rubber over time

Thats why they alwasy say you can use CA iinstead of LT and never LT in places of CA.

I think CA is stronger although its the same thing, there are different types of CA brands like non foam eating or thin thick medium if used right it could be very strong.

I forgot want i was going ot say..

RC Qualifier
    you can get antenna wire at radio shack. It is 24 guage wire stranded and you will need 24 inches of wire.
    Build Union, Buy American!

Originally posted by revorider
    you can get antenna wire at radio shack. It is 24 guage wire stranded and you will need 24 inches of wire.
    That certainly won't fix his transmitter antenna.

The Traxxas transmitter antenna is part# 2017 & if your LHS doesn't have it and/or won't order it, you can get it at www.buyTraxxas.com & probably lots of other online shops.

RC poster

Talking

A thinner CA will dry faster than the thick. I am sure most know this. The thicker will be stronger than the thin.

One more thing, it is amazing what something that was created to be used as a band aid on the battle field does for our tires.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by razer
    That certainly won't fix his transmitter antenna.

lol,thanks for all the replies, my main tire prob is with the super glue the tires come off the rim with just one run!!!also i have a airtronics synthesized(sp)transmitter,,,thanks again for the replies,,,keith

RC Qualifier
    oops sorry razer, dirkydog. I thought it was the reciever you were talking about. Oh well, still useful information to know.
    Build Union, Buy American!

Banned by Warnings
    well, in my opinion ca glue is just higher quality super glue. but you can also get it in different viscosities for different applications

RC Racer
    Just to clarify when he talks about using Loctite for gluing his tyres this is a brand of superglue, (CA glue) not stuff for locking threads on his car. I don't think he was going to try gluing his tyres on with a threadlocker....
    If Nitro be the food of love, drive on.

RC Qualifier
    revo rider it is usefull info though i actualy saved the postthanks