Thread: REVO and JATO

RC Qualifier

REVO and JATO

From what I understand the JATO is a faster truck (top speed) than the REVO

Is this solely because of gearing ?

I was considering a Jato, but I have seen other 2wd vehicles that Pop wheelies frequently and driving them is totally different.

If the gearing is the only main difference can the same gears be put in the Revo to make it as fast as the REVO ?

RC Champion
    we need to understand the revo has more weight also and its 4 wheel drive.so i do not think the gearing will make the revo faster than the jato!! and i have never seen a 4 wheel drive truck keep up with a two drive Stadium truck.

like at the local track my 2 wheel drive truck out runs a t maxx with a picco 21 and a revo with a picco 21.

just remember the power to weight ratio. so gearing the revo to run like the jato will never happend becuase the jato is 1/2 the weight.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Racer
    half the weight, similar power = no contest

the Jato will run rings around the majority of others. nothing corners, handles or goes like a Jato.

the Revo is like an ocean going ferry. Compared to a speedboat.. nuff said..

Rich

ps i have both a Revo and a Jato, 2 completely different trucks but i love em both!

RC Competitor
    I agree re: weight. At half the weight, the Jato has a huge advantage.

RC Champion
    But remember, there is a lot more to a truck than speed. Especially in terms of bashing. A Revo can go places a Jato could never dream of.
    Has anything intelligent ever followed the word "dude"?

RC Competitor
    As a basher, I'd think the Revo would be a better choice. For flat out speed, the Jato.

RC Racer
    Top speed has nothing to do with the weight of the truck/buggy. The weight will only effect the acceleration of the vehicle, not it's top speed.
    However saying this the Revo being a 4WD vehicle it will have more losses in the transmission then the Jato and possibly also more resistance to movement due to it's large wheels and frontal area.
    On the whole if a Revo and Jato were geared exactly the same they should reach a fairly similar top speed, just the Revo would take a heck of a lot longer to get there.

James
    If Nitro be the food of love, drive on.

RC Qualifier
    the jato can go faster because of 2 reasons its lighter weight and because the jato is soo light it will have a lot better acceleration so it can be geared way way higher to reach higher top speeds.
    Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss

RC Champion
    Originally posted by speedojames
    Top speed has nothing to do with the weight of the truck/buggy. The weight will only effect the acceleration of the vehicle, not it's top speed.
    James
    I think that is mostly right, but not totally right. I'm no physicist but it seems to me that if the vehicle is heavy enough, the motor might be incapable or reaching the same RPM as the lighter truck regardless of how long it has to get there, thus limiting its top speed. You can only overcome so much limitation with gearing. My theory might not extend to the Revo/Jato comparison but at some point weight can and will limit top speed.

RC Qualifier
    I have both as well, out of the box Jato waaaaaay faster no comparison. Revo will go through grass and rough terrain a lot better. I put the RB 323 in my Revo 16/36 gearing, FOC, and made it considerably lighter. I have yet to race them but I think the Jato might have its handful in the top end
    Traxxas Revo--JR XS3--OS.21 VZ-B V-Spec--RB Air Filter--Qoncepts Stage 3 RBBC--OFNA 3-shoe alloy clutch--Hitec 5945MG Steering--Hitec 624MG Throttle--FOC--38/18--Wide Ratio--RPM arms--Lunsford Prepped--Tekno 250cc tank--CP 2.0--Proline Wing--RD Starter Box

RC Champion
    Originally posted by N80

I think that is mostly right, but not totally right. I'm no physicist but it seems to me that if the vehicle is heavy enough, the motor might be incapable or reaching the same RPM as the lighter truck regardless of how long it has to get there, thus limiting its top speed. You can only overcome so much limitation with gearing. My theory might not extend to the Revo/Jato comparison but at some point weight can and will limit top speed.
    That is absolutely correct. As rpms begin to top out, torque starts dramatically falling, falling to a point where it no longer has the power to accelerate a vehicle of that weight. If you were to cut the weight almost in half (which beats the heck out of simply removing a few hundred pounds or so with full-size cars), you will hit that same torque point and the vehicle will still be propelled foreward until the torque drops further. The effect is actually noticable with a revo. Take two similar revos, same engine and gearing configurations, but one with heavy bashing protection and one that is lightweight and trimmed for racing. Place them side by side on a parking lot and race them. The lighter one will achieve noticably higher speeds.
    Every time I tell myself I've purchased everything I want for my Revo, something new and invariably expensive comes along. I'm hemorrhaging money....

RC Competitor
    I can remember a look of disapointment from a new Jato owner as my TM powered, 17/40 geared revo was neck to neck on a street run. Stadium trucks are fun but they are different. I think of it as the ST has more finesse and the MT are brute force. The Revo has a bit of ST in it IMO.

RC Racer
    think about it this way.

2 identical cars, one is stripped out of the seats and other non essential bits.. weighs 900kg's and is ideal for the track

2nd is a car going on holiday with 3 big adults, lugage and a dog.
    grand total of 1500kg's

2 cars have 100 bhp but with a 600kg deficit the 2nd car will never outperform or reach anywhere near the performance of car1

power to weight is

Car 1 110# bhp per ton
    Car 1 66# bhp per ton

RC Champion
    Well, not exactly, because initially we were talking top speed, not just performance in general. If both cars have the same engine and transmission, and all other factors are considered equal and the weight difference is not extreme, then yes, both cars can probably reach the same top speed but it will take the heavier car a much longer time to get there. If the engines reach the same rpm with the same transmission and tires then final speed should be the same.

My point earlier is that if the weight difference _is_ extreme, then top speed _can_ be limited.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by rcvirgin
    think about it this way.

2 identical cars, one is stripped out of the seats and other non essential bits.. weighs 900kg's and is ideal for the track

2nd is a car going on holiday with 3 big adults, lugage and a dog.
    grand total of 1500kg's

2 cars have 100 bhp but with a 600kg deficit the 2nd car will never outperform or reach anywhere near the performance of car1

power to weight is

Car 1 110# bhp per ton
    Car 1 66# bhp per ton
    Exactly, this is the best example anyone has given in this thread yet....This is the reason you dont see drag cars with the dash, passenger seat & back seat in them...I dont care what you say, the lighter you make a vehicle the more speed your gonna get out of it. Common sense should tell you that.
    Your my boy Blue! Your my boy!

RC Racer
    N80, I agree with you on this one as other factors will come into effect such as greater rolling resistance etc when the car gets excessively heavy.

J-Daddy, I'll agree that the lighter the car the better the performance (acceleration, handling etc.) but a reasonably small weight difference will not affect top speed. Look at it this way:-

Force=Mass*acceleration

Now lets take car A as weighing 500kg and car B as weighing 700kg, not a vast difference. Lets also assume that the forces acting to accelerate the two cars from rest (driving force from engine since there are no resistive forces at rest) are equal at 3000N. This means that car A will accelerate at 6 ms-2 and car B will accelerate at 4.28ms-2. Abviously car A, the lighter car will accelerate quicker as sense tells us.

Now lets look at top speed. Top speed occurs when the total force (thrust from engine - drag) acting on the car is zero so it can't accelerate any more. Since these cars are identical we can assume the drag forces are equal and this will happen at the same speed. Therefore the weight of the car in these idealised circumstances has no effect on it's top speed.

Lets consider it mathematically. Say the engine in both cars is 150 Hp which equates to roughly 111850 Watts.

Power = Drag Force*Velocity

Since we are looking for the max speed condition drag force = 3000N. So the top speed of both cars is 37.3ms-1 or around 83 mph.

Make any sense?

James
    Last edited by speedojames; 07-15-2005 at 12:03 PM.

RC Champion
    there both build for different purposes. You cant compare them. Why not just compare a motorcycle to a bicycle or a small go-kart to an indy car. The revo was build to be a racer/basher. It can do things the jato never dreamed of. the jato can go speeds the revo could never dream of. There both build with 2 different purposes in mind and they cant be compared to each other.

Banned by Warnings
    Tractor puller - 7000 horspower, but total weight of what the engine is pulling is like 50000 pounds.
    Top Fuel Dragster - 7000 horsepower - 1200 pounds

top fuel dragster goes 330 mph...tractor puller would only do like 50 even on a good day. reason? weight. doesnt matter what the tractor puller is geared at...it isnt going to go 330 mph if its towing 50000 pounds...not even if you gave it like 9 years. so weight does make a different on top speed.

RC Champion
    and once again comparing 2 completly different trucks. There both made to do what they do. The tractor is made for tractor pulling the the dragster was made to go fast. You cant compare them because there both made to do specific things. Stop comparing stuff like that.

RC Champion
    People really do struggle with this. You have to take 'performance' out of the equation and the way you think about this. Performance means different things to different people. To the drag racer it is acceleration, to the road course racer it is cornering, to the tractor puller it is weight pulled, to the record chaser on the salt flats it is top speed.

Let's make it simple.

Two cars. Same electric motor with the same top RPM. Same tires. No transmission. (Take rolling resistance out of the equation for now.) If the electric motor in each car is turning the same RPM then the cars are going the same speed. That's not too hard to understand is it?

Now, line both cars up on the endless salt flats and add some weight to one of them. And they're off. What happens? The lighter car takes off more quickly, leaves the heavier car behind, maxes out its top RPM and thus its top speed and will gain no more speed. The heavier car plugs along behind but eventually it also maxes out the RPM at the same level as the lighter car, but much further down the flat. At this point both cars are going the same speed! Yes! The same speed, at the same time, but the lighter car is way ahead. And with both of them at top speed/rpm, the distance between them will not change if all else is equal.

Now, my initial point was that you can add so much weight that the max RPM of the motors cannot be reached at any distance. That amount of weight depends on the motor. When that happens, the heavier car cannot match the top speed of the lighter car because it cannot match the RPM level.

Now is that really all that hard to understand?
    Last edited by N80; 07-15-2005 at 04:03 PM.

RC Racer
    N80, I think we have a fight on our hands here,

James

RC Champion
    I think we said the same thing in different ways didn't we?

I'm not good at physics so I just have to break things down into the simplest concepts that I can understand. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

RC Racer
    Yep, I think we did.

I think your method works really well for explaining, a bit simpler than my over complicated attempt.

James

Banned by Warnings
    If you look at dyno when you test your car or truck, you can see the torque arrow falling down when the hp goes up.

so torque = easy to displace weight if that goes down you won't be able to reach a top speed if the torque is down 'cause it stopped hauling the weight the revo has.

If you don't get that revo cannot match a lighter truck / car then you're gonna accept it sooner or later.

RC Champion
    Originally posted by SpeeD-Jr
    If you don't get that revo cannot match a lighter truck / car then you're gonna accept it sooner or later.
    Match what? Haven't you read the last few posts?

But fine, lets just talk about 'matching' and 'performance' if you want to. From your statement, yes, I accept it, my Revo will beat the pants off a Jato all day long on the surface of my choice! Right?

Put the Revo and the Jato in deep grass. Now who matches who? Now big rocks. Now mud. Now deep ruts, ditches and ravines. Get it? Talking about 'performance' is pointless without a long list of qualifiers.

Oh! Did you mean on pavement? You should have said so.

Speedojames, you're right. It isn't going to sink in.

RC Racer

4X4 Rules!

It seems most of you have got off topic on this one and turned it into a match of wits. My $.02 on the original ?. My neighbor recently purchased a JATO. If you can control it the JATO is extremely fast. The pavement destroyed the tires 2 tanks after break-in. They are now slicks. On pavement he outruns my REVO hands down, on almost any other surface there is no match to the REVO. To even out the score with the REVO he purchased a 1/6th scale duratrax buggy with the 23cc weedwacker engine in it. That thing digs trenches in my lawn and blows by my REVO like it is standing still. But on pavement my REVO will out perform the 1/6th scale buggy due to traction, it just spins the tires when he gives it gas. On loose dirt the JATO does excellent donuts it is difficult to make it do anything else, my REVO runs circles around it on the track. Hope this helps!
    " The most valuable thing in life that cannot be bought, bartered, or stolen is TIME! DON'T WASTE MINE!"