RC Racer

I broke something...can't tell what it is

Hi Guys,

Since I am still new to the hobbie, I am in constant learning mode. So here is the situation. The engine fires up no problem and it revs fine...but here is the kicker, it doesn't really move!! It was working fine and then I refueled and now its not moving!! The engine revs, the clutch bell spins.....all looks well, so I don't know where the problem lies? Any suggestions on what to look at first to narrow down the potential problem area?

thanks in advance for the help.

RC Qualifier
    First check your gear mesh and make sure your spur gear is turning.....then you can check the slipper clutch to make sure its tight enough.

It could be a gear in the transmission if its not those things.

You could also check to make sure you pin is in the rear stubs(I have lost one before

Did I miss anything?
    Former Nitro guy back to the VXL!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do you hear a grnding noise? My first guess would be that one of the black forward/reverse gears inside the transmission has been stripped if that's the case.

Also check to ensure that the slipper clutch isn't too loose.

It's hard to diagnose a problem like this across the internet, so start with that and provide some more details if those suggestions don't help.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Racer
    wow guys, its great to have these resources. I went outside and tightned up the spur gear, drove for a few minutes and then it stopped moving....upon closer inspection, it looks like the spur gear teeth are all chewed up..i think thats the problem....off to the hobby store tommorow for a new spur gear...

thanks again!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Be sure to set the mesh properly so you don't ruin another spur. I use a piece of paper doubled over when I set my Rustler's mesh. Knocking on wood now, but I've never stripped a spur gear on either of my Rustlers. I have on some of my other vehicles, but not these. Woohoo for the NR!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Geez, I look at this again and see that this is in the Rustler forum. I guess I was a victim of too many windows open yesterday and thought this was in the Revo forum.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Racer
    I was thinking that when i get the new spur gear, i was going to get new slipper pegs cause i think those are toast as well...should i replace the pegs with the metal bearing type ones? what are the pros and cons and what do you guys reccomend?

thanks

RC Qualifier
    I have not used the metal ones, but never had any problems with the stock ones.
    Former Nitro guy back to the VXL!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by Misbehavin'
    Geez, I look at this again and see that this is in the Rustler forum. I guess I was a victim of too many windows open yesterday and thought this was in the Revo forum.

Haha. I hardly noticed until.....

forward/reverse gears inside the transmission

Then , I went... Oh. Poor Mis' must have too many windows open.

RC Champion
    Some people use little metal balls because they dont wear as quickly, but I haven't really had a problem at all with the wear on the stock friction pegs. They seem to hold up fine for me.
    Ever notice how it's a penny for your thoughts, yet you put in your two-cents? Someone is making a penny on the deal!
    -- Steven Wright

RC Racer
    awesome,

thanks for all the replies!

how do you set the gear mesh it seems that on my car has two settings on the tranny: spur gear on or spur gear off and of course the car doesn't work with the spur gear off
    my rusty got ran over by an suv

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Loosen the 4 bolts on the engine mount. NOT the 4 that bolt the engine down. The engine will now slide back and forth to allow the spur gear and the clutchbell to meet. That's known as "the mesh". Take a small slip of paper doubled over, stick it between the two gears and move the engine over on the mount until it catches. Tighten the engine mount back down. You should be able to pull the piece of paper out without tearing it to have the happy mesh.