RC Enthusiast

Broke again. Prepare your self, long description

I break it alot so I will be making alot of these threads lol.

After a long day of bashing at the BMX track, and jumping a ramp onto the roof of my freinds house (in the process I broke the plastic connection on left rear suspension arm, and bent my aluminum rear shock tower, bent it back to shape then re-busted it.All of which I have already fixed but anyways) something is happening to my signal. I'm not sure what it is, but the problems began at the BMX track.

The NR was running amazingly, no problems what so ever. But while rolling down the starting hill to get some speed up I noticed that the rusty refused to turn, but the throttle and breaks worked perfectly. I ran down the hill and poked at my my receiver untill the front tires started moving again. It would come back to life for a good 15 minutes, then abruptly it would stop turning. Continued like that for the entire bashing session.

After getting back to the house and jumping onto the roof a few times I lost turning completely, no ammount of poking or wire jiggling would bring back my turning and shortly after that my throttle and break stopped working.

Is my receiver busted? Another thing it might be is the fact that my battery on/off button got killed, so we took the on/off switch off completely and saudered the wires directly together. Yeah, only way to turn the car on and off is to remove a battery but still.

Broke receiver during bashing? Too much electricity going to the receiver because the batteries go strait to the receiver instead of through an on/off switch? Or am I wrong completely and it is something else?

HELP PLEASE!! Sorry for the length, but I thought the problem needed a good description so anyone with knowledge can get the full story and possibly help me.

RC Racer
    You can run it without the on/off switch without hurting anything. Did you insulate the solder joints or are they shorting out against each other oe the chassis? Check or replace your batteries in the transmitter and reciever. Check the servo wires for worn and broken spots. To check your reciever swap the servo leads temporarly and see if the steering will work the throttle/brake and the throttle work the steering. If that doesn't fix it check the gears in the steering servo.

Banned by Warnings
    NEW JERSEY land of the 1 and only crazy person ME!
    If you tap the reciver and then it worked then try this. The connector on the steering servo that connects to the reciver maybe messed up. Check and make sure the black,red, and white wire are touching the reciver prongs and they are all lined up correctly. Be careful as you unplugs your reciver and dont pull by the wire its self.

RC Enthusiast
    The wires are shrink wrapped, and the batteries are fresh.

I will do the reverse check in the morning, along with the wire allignment! I hope it works so I can go break some more suspension parts. lol

Keep the ideas flowing so I can check them all out.

Banned by Warnings
    NEW JERSEY land of the 1 and only crazy person ME!
    in your case batteries wouldnt matter at all. if you had a fail safe and the steering was working and not the throttle then check your batteries. in your case you need to check the quality of the wire and the alignments. there is a little silver thing on the end of the wires. make sure that is pluged into the prong. just because the connector is in doesnt mean u have contact

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm, I see. I will check it for sure.

RC Competitor
    I heard about this happening in another thread like 2-3 days ago.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, I jiggled the wires and it came back to life, only to die again and repeated that about 6 times. Would that be the wires? Can I get new wires and sauder them on?

Also, My steering is weird. It turns normally to the right, but rRReeaal slow to the left. Should I get a new servo, or is there a cheap easy fix?

have you centered your servo lately? just a thought i had to do that
    my rusty got ran over by an suv

RC Enthusiast
    Do you mean like, center it with the little knob on the transmiter?

RC Racer
    Originally posted by tetra punk0120
    OK, I jiggled the wires and it came back to life, only to die again and repeated that about 6 times. Would that be the wires? Can I get new wires and sauder them on?

Also, My steering is weird. It turns normally to the right, but rRReeaal slow to the left. Should I get a new servo, or is there a cheap easy fix?
    Sounds like you have a break in one of the wires, or a bad connector. First check to make sure you have a good connection at the reciever. Then if that doesn't work try using am ohm meter to determine which wire is broken then just cut the insulation at the break and solder the wire back together. If all else fails you should be able to buy a replacement wire set at your LHS and just solder them in.

For the steering servo check the steering linkage and make sure it isn't binding somewhere. Does the steering servo make any little clicking sounds, could be a stripped gear.

RC Enthusiast
    I've gotten it all figured out now! Thanks a bunch for all your help. Only thing left to do now is go break it again!

alright good you got it figured but your question anbout the knob yes turn your knob to the center and then turn your wheels from lock-left to lock-right
    my rusty got ran over by an suv