RC Qualifier

Question starting problems

OK, I got one I'll throw out to you guys. I looked in the troubleshooting section and couldn't find any help. When I go to start my Jato I have to crank on it for what seems to be an unusually long time. I've got fuel to the carb, my glow plug is heating sufficiantly and the motor is turning over rapidly. Eventually it starts and runs great. I'm boggled and getting frustrated. Is any one else having or had this problem? I can really use some help. Thanks.
    The Way, the Truth and the Life

RC Racer
    Mine does the same and actually, my brother-in-laws nitro rusty and my sisters S-Maxx sorta do the same thing. What % nitro are you using? Not sure if it makes a difference %age wise but maybe it takes the different %age's longer or shorter to combust/ignite or however the nitro works.
    wanna race?

RC Enthusiast
    a few possibilities...
    hold your finger over the exhaust for a few seconds to prime it

just because the glow plug lights up doesnt mean it is good

could have a slight air leak somewhere...

I have had the 2.5 engine in a couple vehicles for a few years now and most of the time when this happens it is the glow plug or maybe you dont know to prime the engine

hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the replies. I forgort to mention that I do prime it first. I run 33% and I'm changing my glow plug today, will see if that helps. When I do prime it, it sounds like it is right on the edge of firing but still using the EZ Start for power then it finally takes off. I'll let you know how it goes.

RC Racer
    what happened with mine was that my ez-start wasen't heating the glow plug and both lights were on it took me a few days to figure out what it was, so I just decided togo with a pull start and glow plug igniter I love it and it makes my truck lighter
    big air /track jato&b4

RC Racer
    Hey pyropro....the other possibility is tempature issues. You said you live on the Frozen tundra! I think in the manual it says what the recommended optimal operating temps are....Maybe that is why I am having problems starting mine since it is a bit chilly out here.
    wanna race?

RC Qualifier
    Could be an issue. I hope not, I don't want to put it up for the winter.

RC Racer
    Here is your answer, and hopefully everyones answer that is living in cold areas at this current time. This is straight from the home page for cold weather operation.

We do not recommend that you operate your engine below 35 degrees Fahrenheit. If you insist on running your vehicle below 35 degrees, just make sure you are aware that nitro engines may be very difficult to start and tune at those extremely cold temperatures. Also know that below freezing, nitro fuel can actually begin to gel up, and this can be harmful to the engine.

Just passing on the tips
    wanna race?

RC Qualifier
    Now I feel like a *****. I read that also, I just didn't want to believe it! Thanks Jatomann for pointing out the obvious!

RC Racer
    I ran my Jato in 5 degrees F, with no problems... just make sure to preheat the engine with a heat gun or hairdryer (takes me about 3 - 4 seconds of heating.... with my 750 degree F heatgun )

wrap the cooling head in a sock, tin foil (shiny side inwards)

that's all I had to do...

the engine ran better than it ever did before! lol

I had the exact same problem when it was warmer... changed the glow plug, and it ran perfect afterwards...
    E-Jato - LRP Vector 13.5, Novak GTB

ospowerdrevo4
    you might have a bad one way bearing. if that is the problem it wil do exactly what you are saying.