Thread: After Run Oil

RC Competitor

After Run Oil

Hi guys, I'm sure there have been many Treads about this but I am still confused. I was at the local hobby store yesterday and I asked the owner a few questions. One question was about using after run oil vs. WD40. The Traxxas manual and video say to use WD40. The guy told me that he has been flying planes for about 20 years and he never uses WD40 or an after run oil. Expectially if he will be using it within a month or so and he never had a problem yet. Is this true? I don't mind using after run oil or WD40 buy should I? I don't see either causing harm. I did read that WD40 may make the engine harder to start after using it. Please let me know what you guys think.

RC Qualifier
    It does make it harder to start but its not that bad. That guy doesn't know what he is talking about I always do after-run on my engine and they last 10 gallons or more.

RC Qualifier
    WD40 will attract moisture from the air, but I suppose you can use it anyway.
    T-Maxx 2.5 engine to TRX3.3
    No engine Rustler.

RC Competitor
    Should I use a good quality After Run Oil or WD40? It doesn't take long to perform the after run so I'll do it. Thanks for you reply.

RC Competitor
    Hay djmart69, doesn't WD40 displace water/moisture? I thought the point of using WD40 on anything is to keep moisture away and to prevent corrosion? Pleae correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    if u dont use wd40 r aro the motor will rust.
    the fule we use loves Moisture thats why we have to run all of it out of the motor before we put it up the fule will take the moisture out of the air and more or less make water in the motor.
    i dont know why the guy at ur lhs would say that i think he might want u to have to buy a new motor soon as for what i use i wasuseing just wd40 but now i use wd40 and aro just to be safe
    savage axial .28,pro .15 maxx,rusty

RC Competitor
    Thanks everyone for you advice. The guy told me that the fuel that I have, Traxxas Top fuel has more then enough oil in it and it will keep the engine protected. Ever after I drain the fuel, the piston and internal engine parts will still be coated. Just to be safe, I will use a good ARO or at the least WD40.

Originally posted by djmart69
    WD-40.hence the letters WD. water displacement.
    454 bb maxx

Originally posted by djmart69
    I don't know where you got that from, but that is incorrect. It actually does displace water. Below is a quote from the mfr of WD-40.
    CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.
    DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
    LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.
    PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
    Do you honestly think Traxxas would recommend something that attracted moisture? WD-40 works quite well for me. I just put my 8th gallon through did my rebuild, probably could have gone a couple more
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-03-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    from north of the border now in exile........england
    wd 40 does displace water i use it evertime i'm finished with my truck plus you only need a drop in the glow plug hole and then a drop in the air filter hole turn the engine a few times and thats you done
    S-maxx till i die or bash whatever comes 1st !!!!!!

RC Racer
    defenetly do some kind or after run, i'm using this stuff called blue block from evolution engines. works great and one 5.25 oz bottle has lasted me 4 times longer than a can of wd 40. by not doing some king of after run youre seeling your engines fate. thats what happened to my old os .15cv r.i.pecies
    If the good die young, be evil. you might just live forever....

RC Champion
    I used to use Hobico after run. I now use WD 40. A few reasons. I always used to much AR oil and would have to pop the glow to blow some of th e excess out before running. So this was my quirk. Plus WD is easier, not really cheaper. They both sell for like 2.50 so try both see what you prefer. WD works for me, but my racing/bashin bud uses AR oil.
    Stable Includes: 2 Maxx's, 1 Pede, 1 4Tec

Originally posted by ta420nk
    defenetly do some kind or after run, i'm using this stuff called blue block from evolution engines. works great and one 5.25 oz bottle has lasted me 4 times longer than a can of wd 40. by not doing some king of after run youre seeling your engines fate. thats what happened to my old os .15cv r.i.pecies
    How much WD-40 does it take? Just a squit. I would think the WD-40 would last longer unless your bathing in it... He He He
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    It's a personal thing I guess. I use WD-40 myself - always have it at hand in anycase, it's cheaper than aro, the aerosol works easier than the oil IMO, and it smells nice...
    "You smell that? Do you smell that? Nitro, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of nitro in the morning."

RC Qualifier
    sorry, i was thinking of something else, I appologize, just dont attack me.
    T-Maxx 2.5 engine to TRX3.3
    No engine Rustler.

RC poster
    Iíve been thinking about changing to 'proper' ARO after finding this (WD40 The Facts!) old thread in a kart site I visit.
    I realise it is in relation to bearings and itís a bit deep in places but I think the point it puts across is that WD40 isnít the product we all think it is!

Iím most concerned about the section that implies it could varnish at high temps.
    Last edited by Copey; 01-03-2006 at 01:27 PM.

RC Racer
    thats exactly what happened to my .15 cv.

thats exactly why i use aro

RC Racer
    from north of the border now in exile........england
    remember you are only using a tiny tiny drop of wd 40 i don't think it would do that much damage
    S-maxx till i die or bash whatever comes 1st !!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Copey
    Iíve been thinking about changing to 'proper' ARO after finding this (WD40 The Facts!) old thread in a kart site I visit.
    I realise it is in relation to bearings and itís a bit deep in places but I think the point it puts across is that WD40 isnít the product we all think it is!

Iím most concerned about the section that implies it could varnish at high temps.
    You're right, the article relates to WD-40 as a lubricant and although an ARO does in fact have to lubricate for the first second/s during start-up of a "dry" engine, lubrication is definitely not it's main function. Bottom line: WD-40 is recommended by Traxxas.
    "You smell that? Do you smell that? Nitro, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of nitro in the morning."

Originally posted by Copey

Yes it will varnish at high temps, but that is not the purpose of after run oil. By the time you have reached temps that high it should be already flushed out of the engine by your fuel. I haven't been doing glow motors very long, but I have had a boat with outboard engines on them and use them in salt water. I have used WD-40 on the engine for clean up and to help fight rust and water. Basically sprayed the entire engine with it. Never have I had any issues. I have also used it with assiting me in rebuilding engines as a rinsing agent to clean pistons, cranks, valves, lifters and never had an issue. After run oil or WD-40 it's up to you.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-03-2006 at 02:31 PM.
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    wd40 is ok short term, but long term storage you would be better off with real after run oil.
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC Qualifier
    Well I too am not a big fan of WD-40 so I did a test with a friend he used WD-40 and I switched to Break Free I have used it for years to clean my guns, so we found that WD-40 works ok ,but you can see slight small almost to small to see rust spots inside the engine.
    With Break Free we could find none.
    This test was done over a 2 month period ,and we stored them in the same place while we tested.

As I said the WD-40 would do ok, and the small spots would be no problem, but I trust Break Free, good enough for the U.S. Military good enough for me.

Sorry for the long post.

RC Qualifier
    my friend has a sportmaxx and only sprays some wd-40 down the carb, not the glowplug hole (he is lazy). i keep telling him it is not getting enough on top of the piston, he thinks it is fine. who is right? but just to be safe i put it in both spots with my maxx.
    T-Maxx 3.3 - THS Racing pipe, MIP center CVD's, 2500mah battery pack, and an RC Solutions Roll cage. Wanna Race?

RC Competitor
    if your worried about the costly $2.50 can of wd-40

then you can buy it in a gallon at auto zone or other automotive supply stores the use a dispencer of your choice

thts wht i recommend i love wd-40 i use it for kinds of engines and parts

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by fantomaxx

WD-40.hence the letters WD. water displacement.

don't mean to be picky but its water delutant(sp?) i greatly recommend after run proceedure

RC Qualifier
    ok, from what im getting from the dvd the wd-40 is like a wash for the engine. they clearly state that nitro fuel is highly corrosive to metal parts. therfore a one second burst of wd-40 will displace the methanol in the fuel. the book says eather wd-40 of afo can be used. thats the way i see it.
    all rpm,acnc brace,dynomite cvd's for all,trx3.3,trx blue tuned pipe,mip header,dynomite air filter,spektrum dx3,jr servos,big bore shocks,orion 1200 ni-mh, and a mailbox scar on every corner.
    respect,Adam Sandler.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Nitromania
    Well I too am not a big fan of WD-40 so I did a test with a friend he used WD-40 and I switched to Break Free I have used it for years to clean my guns, so we found that WD-40 works ok ,but you can see slight small almost to small to see rust spots inside the engine.
    With Break Free we could find none.
    This test was done over a 2 month period ,and we stored them in the same place while we tested.
    As I said the WD-40 would do ok, and the small spots would be no problem, but I trust Break Free, good enough for the U.S. Military good enough for me.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Break Free is good stuff. It's also known as CLP for Cleans Lubricates, Protects. Break Free is awesome for cleaning guns, but the problem with it is that if you use more than a light coating, it attracts dirt/sand etc. I have used WD-40 as an after run agent in all of my R/C airplane motors (All OS Engines) and have had no problems with any of them. I realize that airplane motors differ from land motors somewhat, but my oldest two engines are from 2000 and 2001 respectively. Before I left for over here, both motors were running as strong as ever. I have lost track of how many gallons have been run through the engines in the past 5-6 years I have been flying. And all my motors are 2-stroke. I personally wouldn't use Break Free as a routine ARO only because of how it tends to attract dirt/sand etc. That being said, if I was going to store my engine for a long time, (like getting deployed to the Middle East for a year) I would say that a light coat would definately protect your engine from rust and stored it properly.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher, if you can read this in English, thank a Veteran" "Keep working, millions on welfare depend on you!"

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by guitarboy

don't mean to be picky but its water delutant(sp?) i greatly recommend after run proceedure
    Where does he get that from?
    This is taken from the WD40 website:
    With literally thousands of uses, WD-40 is the #1 multi-purpose problem solver. It cleans, protects, penetrates, lubricates displaces moisture like no other product on earth.
    http://www.wd40.com/Brands/index.html

Notice the last part says displaces moisture, not water delutant. What was that post supposed to mean anyway?

Another quote from WD40 site:
    DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    Last edited by spuzzard; 01-03-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Long Live Pemberton Radio Control Assosiation and the PRCA Monster Sqaud

RC Racer
    Originally posted by spuzzard

Notice the last part says displaces moisture, not water delutant. What was that post supposed to mean anyway?

Another quote from WD40 site:
    yes it does work wonders on electrical systems, in fact I dont even plastidip anything. i just give it all a good spraying.

delutant is kinda whaat happins when you make the kool-aid waaaay to strong and your ma adds water to it to delute it. thats the best way I could explain it

why in the world would someone want a water delutant?lol.is the water to strong hahahaha!!!
    454 bb maxx

RC Champion
    WD40 IS FINE. It's point isn't to lubricate the engine (the nitro fuel does that) but to STOP THE ENGINE FROM RUSTING! If you don't put WD40 or ARO in the engine, it will rust! It doesn't mattter how much it lubricates! As someone else said, it should be washed of the engine by the time it reaches hot temperatures. The nitro fuel (~18% LUBRICANT!) will lubricate the engine.
    I hate E-Clips

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by fantomaxx
    .....is the water to strong hahahaha!!!
    Water is nasty stuff, just ask anyone that had their house or car flooded by water!
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Competitor
    I too use WD-40. I have been using since I started the hobby. I use it in conjunction with ARO. 3, 1 second bursts in the carb and a couple of drops down the glow plug hole. All of my engines are completely rust free inside.

You should definetely use WD-40 or ARO and anyone who says that you dont need it is missing a few screws.

Later!

Banned by Warnings
    its not diluent. the only diluent that works with water is,.... water. ;p

RC Qualifier
    When i first started i used ARO for about a year no problem. Then switched to WD-40, still no problem. I'ts been 2 yrs and a can of WD-40 costs about 2 bucks at walmart and will last months if only used on your Maxx.
    We Who Are Not As Others

RC Qualifier
    i dont use after run.
    got to crawl befor you walk

Originally posted by littlepuppet
    [B]i dont use after run.
    Originally posted by Lord_Vader
    You should definetely use WD-40 or ARO and anyone who says that you dont need it is missing a few screws.

Later!
    Ok I didn't say it but I would agree not doing an after run will definately take away from engine life.
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    Originally posted by S-Maxx Al
    Thanks everyone for you advice. The guy told me that the fuel that I have, Traxxas Top fuel has more then enough oil in it and it will keep the engine protected. Ever after I drain the fuel, the piston and internal engine parts will still be coated. Just to be safe, I will use a good ARO or at the least WD40.
    Sounds like the guy wanted you to come back and buy a new engine from him when yours dies.

I haven't used it yet, but I do plan on getting MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil). There are a lot of people that use it and say nothing but good things about it.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok guys, you pretty much covered it all. exept one thing. WD stands for water dissplacement but do you know what the 40 stands for????? anybody wanna take a guess?? I know. lets see how far this one thread can go. ill bet s-max al never thought his one thread could've gottin this kind of response.
    speed limits are there for your protection.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Originally posted by trkdvr
    .... I know. lets see how far this one thread can go....
    No, let's not.

If you want to talk about nothing, go to the thread titled "how to become a moderator" in the Traxxas alley forum.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?