Thread: New Savage X

RC poster

New Savage X

I love my Maxx's & REVO's so don't get me wrong. I very much appreciate the 1/10 scale REVO keeping up & in most cases whooping the competition. But at heart I am a Basher & I can't have to much power!

HPI has just introduced yet another Savage, the Savage X. This means more lost sales for Traxxas to HPI because of the "Big Block" RTR.

Please join me in asking Traxxas to develop a Big-Bad T-Maxx/REVO Mutant with a Big Block .28 at least.

If Traxxas introduced a BIG BLOCk REVO or 1/8 BIG BLOCK REVO Hybrid I would purchase in a heart beat!

I hope you are listening Traxxas!
    We are the Market & we want the Baddest Truck on the Planet!!!

RC Racer
    i have to say i agree even if i am not *yet* a nitro person, that traxxas are missing out by not having a big block at all.
    Check out my homepage at:
    www.geocities.com/nitro4132004/
    Cheers :)

RC Racer
    I total agree. Traxxas is missing the boat on 1/8 scale MT. I started out with my fisrt nitro truck about five years ago and yes it was a T-Maxx. However, since that time I have dabbled in other scale trucks especially 1/8. I can honestly say that I just can not go back to 1/10 scale, the engines are just to small and the drive trains can not handle larger output engines. I would definatley consider buying a 1/8 scale MT if traxxas ever produced one. Hopefully one day they will. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.

Banned by Warnings
    All the way .28 big block 1/8!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah Traxxas is going to lose big time in the market industrie if they don't introduce a big block!

RC Champion
    A big-block would be awesome.
    -CB
    If you can't convince them confuse them

RC Champion
    yea ok

what is the revo ratio to savage at your local bashspot or local track?

my track i see nothing but revo's like 5 to 1 ratio. and most of the revos are running bigblocks now.

forgot to say

you want a BB in a revo? Sure now the price goes up a tad bit, now you want a digital radio like jr racing radio so there is another price hike!!

adding bigger and better stuff always raises the prices. traxxas makes the rtr simple for most people to aford with out spending a fortune on the truck. this had been covered befor over the last 4 years i been on this site. and it always end up in a flame war and the thread getting locked or deleted, now people can and receive warning points also.
    Last edited by GlowThunder; 01-22-2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Qualifier
    But me just like alot of people when shopping for a new RC I want power and when I see a 2.5 compared to a 4.1 I think the 4.1 is going to have more power. If traxxxas got a big block .25 I bet you everyone would buy it, if they don't they will lose alot of money to the new Savage

RC Qualifier
    The new savageX looks just like the old savage ss or savage 25. just because it has a big engine doesn't mean it is better. since traxxas already kicks butt over hpi, i doubt they are worried about the new truck because it is just more of the same. actually it looks like hpi copied traxxas with some of the features like the ez out diffs.

These models are already overpowered as it is, but unfortunately too many people have the "bigger is better" mentality. too bad they don't realize a stock revo or tmaxx will run circles around a savage, even though the savage is a big block engine. i hope traxxas is working on a kick butt trx 3.0 engine to keep the os lemmings quiet!
    Busting all Maxx Myths and "Lemming science"! 10D carb and ofna tank mod are worthless. Dee Dee Dee -If it doesn't have all SuperLemming parts, it isn't a "genuine trademarked" SuperLemmingMaxx lol

RC poster
    I'd say the ratio of revos to savages at my lhs is about 5 to 1 lol

At Tower Hobbies, the Revo (#3), T-Maxx (#4), & E-Maxx (#6) all outsell the Savage SS (#7) & Savage 25 (#11). Even the Electric Stampede (#13) isn't far behind.

RC Qualifier
    all you guys are forgeting about the handleing. if traxxas puts in a some heavy .28 in the revo it wouldnt get around the corners as well. so you would just end up spending more money for the same amount of speed.
    razer for presedent 2012

RC Champion
    They are 2 totally different worlds. You cant compare compare a savage and a revo. I revo is designed to race, and IMO is not a good basher, now the savage is meant to be beatin and keep going. It really depends one what you are into.

As for this ....
    At Tower Hobbies, the Revo (#3), T-Maxx (#4), & E-Maxx (#6) all outsell the Savage SS (#7) & Savage 25 (#11). Even the Electric Stampede (#13) isn't far behind.

The T and the E maxx have been out much longer than the savage, or is that just the number of the 2.5 maxx? The number of the savage 21 isnt there, so if you combined all savage sales, it would probably be around with the revo.

As for big blocks, I like the 2.5 the revo has. I have always leaned toward the savage side but hate the extra weight for the engine and fuel that it requires to run.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^ | ||__ DRAGSTER
    |____TRAXXAS ___| ||'|";\..
    |(@)'(@)""*''|(@)(@)***(@)

RC Champion
    a rolling chassis would be a great idea so all the guys who want a BB and a digital radio can get what they want without buying a trx 2.5 and a TQ3 that they wont use. Also an .18 built like a 2.5R would be good but anything larger is overkill. also the huge engines have a second disadvantage besids their weight, they lose about 10,000 revs compared to a trx 2.5
    just got a revo
    so long spacemaxx

RC poster
    Legitimate points on weight and handling & yes we all know that the speed is there!

It seems from my own point of view & with some of the replies here that we ( the Bashers / the Market) are not asking for a BB Revo (Traxxas made the BB kit available almost immediately) or a more powerful Revo (however a 3-Speed tranny for it would be awesome). We are looking for a Big Bad Basher from Traxxas.

Traxxas no dought has the corner on the 1/10 MT market (T-Maxx & now Revo) & nothing compares. That is the point! A Savage is not a racer! I greatly dought that the new Savage X with its LCG & "lightened" suspension will be even close, still!

But, you have to admit that what HPI has done with a single design & "Factory" options is way cool!

HPI has listened to the market & responded with;
    a) Bigger engine in RTR form
    b) A Kit, so you can choose your equipment
    c) Another kit, with a 3-Speed!
    d) Another kit, with a huge engine!

And now as HPI says "The new Savage X is packed with features that have been suggested by Savage owners"

Just watch HPI do the same with the new Savage. Next will come the Kit, then the other kit, then the Big Engine, then who knows what? But I bet it will be something that the market is asking for.

That is my point! That is what disappoints me! I think that the Traxxas quality & engineering is unsurpassed & I will continue to buy & own Traxxas but, I will look for what I want also, & I want Big & Fast & "Overpowered" & Factory Options & New & Different or Redesigned.

I'm not trashing anybody here. I just think it would be a wise move for Traxxas & great for the market I have an obsession with if Traxxas would quiet the Savage, LST, MGT, Warhead (It's only 1/10 scale, it's a small block, it's not a basher, you gotta spend $$$ to make it tough enough, it's out dated) crowd down with a great big "OH YEA, WATCH THIS!"

Hello guys! Here's how I see it. Take it for what it's worth. Traxxas, like any good healthy company that sells products to the consumer, is market driven. When the demand for a given product is high enough, said product will be offered. The twist that the Traxxas marketers and prognosticators put on this, is to identify that demand and then shock the market with a wildly innovative answer. Reference the T-Maxx. We released it in 1999 and complete chaos followed. Here is the telling point. It took 2 years before any other manufacturer was even able to put out a product in the same category! It spawned what I like to call the "Great Maxx Clone Fest" There has not been much in any of the following attempts by any company that could really qualify as "wildly innovative" or even "sort of innovative". Mostly it has just been a string of copies with enough changes not to be a Maxx and enough copying to work. (To the degree that lots of Maxx parts fit lots of other trucks.) The T-Maxx platform was, and still is, solid enough in marketing terms to soundly thrash every entry into the category.

Keep in mind that I own one of the very first T-Maxx trucks, which I got before they were even sent to the shops, and am wildly loyal to the brand. The Maxx haters with their wrong info drive me nuts and I am leery of any new entry into the market. The first things I look for are what they copied rather than how cool they are. Sigh. It's tough being the chicken.... (People bring me "chicken" paraphernalia because of this name. Why didn't I think ahead and use "Nitro Spam" as my screen name instead? )

All that said, our engineering department is filled with a bunch of tight lipped, paranoid drones, a few machine gun emplacements and signs that say DO NOT ENTER. They do most of their work late at night, surrounded by tall scaffolding and brilliant spotlights. You can hear random explosions and see the occasional fire ball shooting into the sky. They are VERY busy.

Since we are leaders rather than followers on these sorts of things, you can bet that whatever new vehicle they make will leave the competition angry and disgruntled.

Hang on. Be patient. Keep the faith!
    Last edited by Nitro Chicken; 02-01-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC poster
    Thank You Nitro Chicken Sir!

This is what we needed to hear.
    I am now imagining a great big "OH YEA, WATCH THIS!"

Keeping the faith, MTO

RC Qualifier

Thank You

Thank you for the re-incourgement Nitro Chicken Sir! That is what we needed to hear. I will be "Keeping the faith!" from now on. I Can't wait to see what rolls of the traxxas line next.
    "A good engine, is worth the price of ignition"

RC poster
    Thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what we needed & just what we wanted.

A longer more powerful REVO, YES! Keep it coming Traxxas.

Thumbs WAY UP!

Traxxas we Love you!

RC Racer
    traxxas has always been about entry level rtr's

RC Qualifier
    I think traxxas is one of the greatest R/C companies around, but my other fav is HPI lol no flame war or anything, I run both brands and they are equally impressive, I love my Jato as much as my Savage 4.6 and vice versa, I have driven other peoples revos and maxxes for long amounts of time Traxxas trucks areimpressive first to the market innovative trucks sb traxxas vehicles are great for entry level buyers because they usaully fall in love with their first nitro or electric whick keeps them on the hobby. HPI makes equally impressive products, the hellfire which i have seen at the lhs is very fast indeed for a truggy, heavy and large but very quick for how big it is. The savage ss 4.6 has an tremendous low end if no one here has ever drove one, wheelie power is definitly there, too much, the need for a extended wheelbase is for sure. but the same for a revo. The 3.3 i guaranteed will change theyre mind about small and med block engines if they dont already like sb more. The only thing with the small blocks are they lack the low end punch. The revo or maxx doesnt lack very on the lowend due to the gearing. But the big blocks let you get more of the "umph"
    you need for getting out of corners quickly and to power over obstacles, not that the maxx and revo cant do that but the savage does it better. Though the revo picks up where the savage slacks off. The savage has great shocks but the setup is prehistoric, the revos suspension is incredible, same with traxxas's gtr shocks are top of the line too. I wish traxxas made some for the savage The revo and jatos suspension are the most plush and most reliable shocks ever. The bottom line is traxxas will always find a way to be more innovative than most rc companys but the other company arent left behind. They just find a way to make theyre products equally impressive and catchy to a buyer. I had a choice of any MT i wanted any MT even the Losi LST but after review all the MTS on the shelf i wanted savage. Im glad i did. My first traxxas vehicle owned was a Jato. I fell in love with it. and thats why I am here now. Savages dont really have any good forums which sucks cause I always wanna talk about mine but wont get to detailed outa pure respect.

I agree with nitro chicken
    Take it for what it's worth. Traxxas, like any good healthy company that sells products to the consumer, is market driven. When the demand for a given product is high enough, said product will be offered. The twist that the Traxxas marketers and prognosticators put on this, is to identify that demand and then shock the market with a wildly innovative answer. Reference the T-Maxx. We released it in 1999 and complete chaos followed. Here is the telling point. It took 2 years before any other manufacturer was even able to put out a product in the same category! It spawned what I like to call the "Great Maxx Clone Fest" There has not been much in any of the following attempts by any company that could really qualify as "wildly innovative" or even "sort of innovative". Mostly it has just been a string of copies with enough changes not to be a Maxx and enough copying to work. (To the degree that lots of Maxx parts fit lots of other trucks.) The T-Maxx platform was, and still is, solid enough in marketing terms to soundly thrash every entry into the category.
    But im not sure if maxx parts fit savage but i think its alot different then the maxx so i dont see savages as a copy but just inspired by

but i have seen very cheap imitations with the only difference being a motor with one of those cheap headers and the advertisement says fix 90% traxxas

Edited for language.
    NC
    Last edited by Nitro Chicken; 03-03-2006 at 06:33 PM.
    "People are strange, When you're a stranger." The Doors
    Here's my Jato Racing Thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=314881

Originally posted by Jato_Jato
    traxxas has always been about entry level rtr's
    Considering that the Revo is by far the most advanced RC truck on the market, does this comment indicate that all the rest of the market is about sub-entry level vehicles?
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    sorry for asking NC but what did i say JW, I try to follow by the rules 100%
    Here's my Jato Racing Thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=314881

It was all the stars.
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    i didnt see any stars any way but at least i dont have a point pheww.....(sigh of relief)

RC Champion
    whats funny.
    at my lhs when the revo came out there was a high demand for them, and there was a waiting list for more! but there was 3 savages on the self ready to go But no one wanted them they wanted the revo. and when the jato hit the LHS people wanted it and its demand was sort of high over other 1 1/10 scale stadium trucks. on race day during nitro season i see more t maxx's and jatos being sold over all over other r/c's at lhs. Since the release of the t maxx 3.3 i have heard ppl at lhs say we want it again the savage 25 and the hpi hellfire sit and collect dust. i am not putting down HPI in anyway i am just saying the majority of sales is the t maxx and revo and other traxxas r/c's at lhs for bashers and just normal people looking to run a r/c.

traxxas has a Good market going for RTR and good prices and the parts Availability is huge for most traxxas models. and Tech Support is awesome i hear more people at ther lhs say hey traxxas has awesome customer support and they get you fixed up. i know they have taken care of me in the past many of times!

here you go ((read this))

wednesday night at lhs a guy strolls in needing help. he had a hpi savage 25 bigblock kit i guess. he was asking the track owner for help on the engine and tuning, during his conversation he mentioned he called HPi for product support and he said i ((Qoute)) the tech guy Could not help me and got upset and sort of mad, and told me to read the manual then placed me on hold and the phone hung up on me!!

well i wqas asked to help him by lhs owner and i told him straight up. if you had a traxxas t maxx or revo they would have stayed on the phone with you until you was good to go. or they would ask you to send the engine in for warranty work or supoport. he said really? i said yes they always helped me and very nice about it. he said it was going to ebay ((lol)) and breaking out Credit card. and with in 10 minutes he had a new revo

he said BuhBye waste of money savage not wanting to run. i messed with it for 20 minutes it was a no go and the engine would run but very bad even form factory settings. and i heard a metal to metal noise from the engine.
    Last edited by GlowThunder; 03-03-2006 at 06:57 PM.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Qualifier
    thats very true, customer support and parts availability is great. but i never had a savage that didnt run, I actually think my 4.6 is a lil easier to tune and less prone to temp changes but thats not saying i dont like the 2.5r, I love it. power to weight ratio is great.

RC Champion
    from what ive hears and experenced with airplane engines larger engines are usualy more forgiving with their needles because of the larger volume of fule/air they take in.
    just got a revo
    so long spacemaxx

RC Qualifier

Thumbs up Whoa!!!!!!

Originally posted by The Agitator
    ......I hope traxxas is working on a kick butt trx 3.0 engine to keep the os lemmings quiet!
    Make that a "TRX 3.3"

Instructions for new SavageX

1: Remove from package
    2: Insert directly into toilet
    3: Buy a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 or Revo 3.3

Jeez, I go awol for a while and I miss all the fun!
    Busting all Maxx Myths and "Lemming science"! 10D carb and ofna tank mod are worthless. Dee Dee Dee -If it doesn't have all SuperLemming parts, it isn't a "genuine trademarked" SuperLemmingMaxx lol

RC Qualifier
    lol, i really don't think much of the new savage x either, its rather ugly looking with the x chassis and other stuff, but my 4.6SS is great but I keep leaning toward traxxas, because my jato, I plan on getting a revo 3.3 in the next 6 months and and another jato. traxxas rc's are much more versatile, I'm making a race and bash jato, and the revo is undetermined, after i get a job though hehehe nothin will stop me