RC Qualifier

Exclamation Project Big Block 4-Tec

These are pics of my project speed run Tec, in short it has all of the traxxas options for the Tec except the gearing which was set up to use a three shoe clutch for power supply reasons and larger clutchbell. I built this car because I'm going to cali in July to compete in rccaraction's speed run contest, hope to see some other Tecs there also..... Just like sonic says...... others promise Big Block 4-Tecs but Outlaw delivers. P.S. this is not a joke

RC Competitor
    dang
    R.I.P Eric(Eazy-E)Wright 1963-1995

RC Qualifier
    how big is that engine?you should run it on the 33%top fuel
    razer for presedent 2012

RC Qualifier

Post Speed run 4-Tec

The engine here in the pics is a .21, Its the most detuned big block I have,I wanted to start as light as possible with power to see what the tranny could handle. My smallblock 4-Tec has an RBmod 18TZ in it and it will pull your shift adjustment screw out under heavy power. I doubt this car would be faster than my TZ Tec but, if I need the power for the meet, I will have it. This was no small feet It took alot of cutting, custom engineblocks, and research for this install not to mention four gas tanks I put holes in trying to get clearance for the engine blocks..oopps did'nt know speed cost this much.

Try running 50 or 60% nitro, add a head shim or two though. Sounds like a sick project though. Remove as much material as you can, as strength shouldn't be the main concern here. Also, run the right body, at speeds of 70+ mph aerodynamics make a BIG difference.

RC Qualifier
    Thanx for the info Onebigman.

RC Competitor
    I had 2 engines in my 4-tec, both got me to about 85mph...Picco 27 and TTR-28

RC Qualifier

Post Somethings not right here

Ok you said you added a picco .27 to your nitro 4-tec and you assume it will do about 85 mhp are your sure? I did a little research on your engine to kinda understand what you were working with, the picco weighs in at a hefty 11.6oz, and is claimed to rev a modest 34,000 rpm. OK we all know that a stock trx 2.5 is capable of about the same if not more revs right. So how is it that you added that much weight and seemingly about the same or less revs and figure your car went 85mhp. In your manual look on page 40, traxxas claims with the tallest gearing for your tec and 36,000 rpm to boot, will push their car to about 64.47 mhp. Im not flameing here but, any performance change I do to my car or anyone else I'll do the math first, hey why not traxxas did theirs.

RC Competitor
    well that was according to a radar gun...i also chopped the car a lot.....and put stadium truck tires on it...my last post was brief i understand...so i guess you cant call it a 4-tec anymore...the Picco .27 is also all about tourque..i'll dig up my old plans and post them here...
    Last edited by VEN; 01-26-2006 at 07:20 PM.

RC Champion

Re: Speed run 4-Tec

Originally posted by outlaw4-Tec
    My smallblock 4-Tec has an RBmod 18TZ in it and it will pull your shift adjustment screw out under heavy power.
    I don't think that your shift screw coming loose was related to the power output. That's been a common problem for some time with even the stock 4-tec's. I guess my point is, don't let that scare you from popping in the hot engine, if that's what you really want to do. I would be more concerned about all of the belts holding up.

That's definitely quite a lot of mod work to shoe horn that bad boy in. Give the update on what you get for a speed run. What kind of Ratio's did you get with the larger clutch bell? That will be what translates all of that HP into a top end monster I'm pretty sure that you are aware of that, but others that read this thread may just think bolting in a big block will turn it into an instant beast.
    -Terry
    "The best part of wakin' up....is Nitro" i

RC Qualifier

Post Speed run Tec

I was very reluctant to use another clucthbell but, with the 1/8 scale clutchbell I have more clutch over the stock traxxas pinion, and I just ordered a centax style bell for adjustment of the clutch that I'm sure I'll need for traction. The primary reduction for the pinion change I made yeilded a 1st gear ratio of 2.41 and a 2nd gear ratio of 1.76. This project isn't just thrown together I've done alot of thinking and testing behind this car, as terry stated youre not gonna just throw in some bigblock and have an instant monster, do your math first and your racing later.

RC Champion
    1.76 Wow that's pretty low. If the engine doesn't fall off too early you should hit some good top speeds with that. Unfortunately the calculated engine performances and speeds based on RPM's to drive ratios tend to fall short as you factor in drag at higher speeds. It should still perform well though. As OneBigMan had mentioned, carefully choose the shell. I don't know what to recommend for those speeds except maybe a Nascar style protoform for large tracks.
    -Terry
    "The best part of wakin' up....is Nitro" i