RC Racer

Killing Engine By Remote!!! See for yourself!

I heard on some forum awhile back how someone used the traxxas mini servo to shut off their engine by pinching the fuel line. So i tried it, i had it all set-up, used it a few times, then the servo's gears shattered to peices, it was'nt made to be put under such a load. So, now i got the idea to use the spare traxxas 2055 servo i had laying around.
    First, i cut off the fuel line clips on the roll bar, then i mounted the servo to the roll bar using large zip-ties. it seemed to slide around a bit, so i used 5min. epoxy to glue the zip-ties to the back of the roll bar(out of sight), now theirs no movement at all, its mounted rock solid. Then i ran the fuel tubing how i wanted it, and zip-tied it to the roll bar, so it cant move around. I took an old servo horn and grinded down a flat spot ot it, so it pinches the fuel-line evenly. Then i used my MX-3 radio(which really helps for something like this) to set the servo end-points how i wanted them, so the servo would pinch the fuel-line just tight enough to cut off the flow, but not too hard to where the servo is under such a load, that the gears may strip.
    This engine shut-off mod can still be done with the stock radio, all you have to do is position the servo horn to pinch tight enough, before you slip it on the servo's shaft. Alot easier to set with a digital computer radio....

So tell me what you think! And yes it works perfectly! My radio has a third servo aux. switch on it, some what like the stock radio has, so all i have to do, is flip a switch!!
    I'm wanting to post a small video clip of it in-action, cause my new digital camera has a video rec. mode. Where and how can i post up a small clip of it in action?
    Last edited by ALLOYREVO; 03-09-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    REVO: RB TM323, allum. axle carriers, rpm bumpers and a-arms, rpm wide maxx wheels, Sporttraxx tires, new era roll bar, plasti-dipped servos, single Hitec 645 steering servo, Hitec 645 throttle servo, pull-start, bearings in throttle arm, blue integy 25lb springs, traxxas red pushrods plus lots more! AOL IM: avogt18 E-mail: avogt18@aol.com

RC Racer
    Lol thats Sweet
    MURDERED OUT!

RC Racer
    what kind of air filter is that ?
    MURDERED OUT!

RC Racer
    Originally posted by RevoRacer9
    what kind of air filter is that ?
    Motor saver..with an optional outer off-road foam. keeps the main filter MUCH cleaner
    REVO: RB TM323, allum. axle carriers, rpm bumpers and a-arms, rpm wide maxx wheels, Sporttraxx tires, new era roll bar, plasti-dipped servos, single Hitec 645 steering servo, Hitec 645 throttle servo, pull-start, bearings in throttle arm, blue integy 25lb springs, traxxas red pushrods plus lots more! AOL IM: avogt18 E-mail: avogt18@aol.com

RC Racer
    That's sweet! I wonder if the perry smoke on/off valve would work for with it?
    Look out!Nitro Stampede coming through!

RC Qualifier
    Is the MS A direct fit in the revo?

Back to the topic:

That is cool you should try next by turning the motor on by remote.
    Paintball: Autococker Karnivore

RC Racer
    Originally posted by RCNERD
    Is the MS A direct fit in the revo?

Back to the topic:

That is cool you should try next by turning the motor on by remote.
    yes, unless you wana still use your stock filter neck, like i did. their's a mod where you have to cut a larger hole in the ms filter's housing to slip in the revo filter neck

remote start.....hmm.... maybe someday

RC Competitor
    that is really cool

RC Enthusiast
    RCNERD- Check out www.misbehavin-rc.com for the filter mod. Thats what I shoved on mine as well. It works great.

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...air-filter.asp

RC Racer
    another thing that you might think about is instead of pinching the fuel line try making it to where it hits the flywheel. doesnt lean the engine out any like when you pinch the line. and it doesnt take but a little bit of pressure for a sec to kill the engine instantly. just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by chucky2280
    another thing that you might think about is instead of pinching the fuel line try making it to where it hits the flywheel. doesnt lean the engine out any like when you pinch the line. and it doesnt take but a little bit of pressure for a sec to kill the engine instantly. just a thought.
    yup the fly wheel is the easiest way all you gotta do is touch it pretty much and it shuts off. but thats pretty cool what you did
    "People are strange, When you're a stranger." The Doors
    Here's my Jato Racing Thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=314881

RC poster

Another Idea

You could zip tie a small servo to your exhaust pipe with a small round piece of metal attached in some fashion that when you activate the servo it covers the exhaust pipe hole?

Just a thought.
    REVO w/ RB TM323 w/ DSM // JATO w/ tuned Pipe on Road Rages w/ DSM // XTR-3E w/ DSM

RC Competitor
    ha that's awesome dude! as long as your truck's electronics are turned on its easy to remote start it....it may be fairly useless (the remote start) but really cool haha....

RC Racer
    Originally posted by chucky2280
    Cool idea however if you have a problem like WOT. It would take great effort to stop the fly wheel. There is lots of torque there for a servo to try to stop it and what ever material you use will be shredded in a second by the fly wheel.

In my opinion what ALLOYREVO has now is the best set up for stopping the engine.

RC Racer
    Originally posted by CheAld

In my opinion what ALLOYREVO has now is the best set up for stopping the engine.
    This is the way i shut-off all my engines(by pinching the fuel line). Pluging the exhaust is a fast, simple way to kill the engine, but is actually the wrong way. Unless your going to be running the engine again before putting the truck up for the day, then i dont suggest killing the engine by pluging the end of the pipe. pluging the pipe causes excessive fuel to flood the engine, thus killing it. leaving that fuel in the crankcase will cause the internal parts to rust. Shutting the engine off by stopping the flywheel is also somewhat simple. If your brave enough, it can even be done with your thumb. Although, that process still leaves fuel in the crankcase, but not as much. Now, pinching the fuel-line shut, causes the engine to burn up as much fuel thats left in the crankcase as possible, before shutting down. It does cause a really lean setting, but it doesnt harm nothing, cause its only for a few seconds... then i use after run oil, when im putting the truck up for the day.

RC Qualifier
    You can post your videos on this free site:

http://media.putfile.com/WizardsofWinter-SM
    I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

RC Qualifier
    the best way to kill your engine is exactly the way he has the servo set up... by pinching the line... that is the way traxxas recomends doing it... and how long is it leaned out? 2-3 seconds?
    what i do is pinch the line and blip the throttle right away.. it shuts down instantly... like 1-2 seconds, no even if im done for the day... ill empty out the tank.. and then turn it over w/ the ez start, it should start and burn up the rest of the fuel in the line/and tank.
    Smooth is Fast. Slow is Smooth. Therefore, Slow MUST equal Fast.

RC Qualifier

Re: Another Idea

Originally posted by sycontech
    You could zip tie a small servo to your exhaust pipe with a small round piece of metal attached in some fashion that when you activate the servo it covers the exhaust pipe hole?

Just a thought.
    that will flood the engine, to much pressure on the tank the more fuel gets pumped into the engine therefor flooding it. its ok if you want to unflood the engine every time you use it but its not too practical
    Last edited by Nitrotastic; 03-10-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    Just Lax'in