RC Racer

...when building a transmission...?

When building a transmission from the ground up, what are the elements and components you like to use and why?

Transmission case
    Bearings
    Differential gear and components (solar/sun gear, planetary, oil,)
    Idler gear
    Top Drive gear and shaft
    Spur gear
    Slipper assembly
    Pinion

I'm in the process of building a tranny for a sl2sh. It has me rethinking everything.

I'm a big fan of the Pro Ball Diff and STRC topshaft/Associated VTS slipper combo. For the rest, never felt a need for anything but stock parts.

razorrcblog.blogspot.com
    youtube.com/c/RazorRC

razorrcblog.blogspot.com
    youtube.com/c/RazorRC

RC Racer
    Awesome, I'll check out those videos when I have the time. So there is an opinion on the diff as well as the slipper clutch.

Maybe just to keep this thread organized we should discuss the components in order? How about the transmission case itself?

Tranny Case

I've heard varying opinions regarding which case to use. I think there is a dig distinction between on-road and bashing, and one may choose a tranny case depending on their driving style. There are four main options I see (feel free to add):

1. Stock Tranny case

2. RPM with metal mounting plate

3. Proline

4. Aluminum

Which one and why?

RC Racer
    1. Stock Tranny case
    pros-rigid, cheap, light weight
    cons-the grey color, may wear out with a BL motor.

2. RPM with metal mounting plate
    pros-metal plate for secure BL motor mounting, as well as a heat sink, not too expensive
    cons-the flexibility may cause gear wear problems

3. Proline-I'm not familiar

4. Aluminum-
    pros-strong, heat dissipation with the metal,
    cons-heavier weight, cost is high,

Have you experienced the flexing problems with the RPM tranny case? Does it really have an advantage over the stock Traxxas case?

I've only used the stock case and the only issue I've had was caused by me. You can always dye them if you want but the color may come out wrong, I tried to dye one red and it came out purple, but its available in black from the factory (3691 instead of 3691a). As for the aluminum mounting plate STRC makes a part that fits between the motor and the case (ST3691) and I haven't noticed any issues with it on my rustler.
    I just run everything else in the transmission stock except for the roll pin in the top shaft, I replaced that with a piece of 1/16th piano wire cut to length.
    Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton

RC poster
    You guys know of any company makes metal Spur Gears for Traxxas Bandit VXL

RC poster
    My Bandit it has problems so I am trying to make it Bulletproof as far as the drivetrain I couldn't leave my Spektrum dx4c would not work with it

RC Champion

...when building a transmission...?

I really like my HR steel spur and carbon fiber pads. I run the FLM case and sealed diff as Im more interested in heat dissapation and looks. Ball diffs are good when you're running low cell and moderate motors, from what I've heard. RR idler gear is a great upgrade I'd you're laying down big power.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwerbelow View Post
    You guys know of any company makes metal Spur Gears for Traxxas Bandit VXL
    There are several that I've seen. You have a bumch of choices!

RC Racer
    Back to the tranny cases...

Does abyone know the weight differences between the stock Traxxas, RPM hybrid, FLM aluminum, HR as well as integy transmission cases?

RC poster

metal gear

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    There are several that I've seen. You have a bumch of choices!
    what do you recommend

vintage black transmission bandit vxl conversion wheelie build trans is now metal spins the tires and won't pick up the nose

RC Racer
    I have such limited info on your rc, it's too difficult to make a good recommendation for you. If you are running an older bandit I would buy the $3.00 plastic spur gears from traxxas (I'd buy several, I'd rather spend 3 extra dollars at the LHS and have one on hand as back up instead of not having it when you need it and making a trip,) in fact I'd buy several Traxxas plastic spur gears in different "tooth" numbers for some experimentation. I also like having some backup parts.

I haven't been able to build a bullet proof rc...something will break eventually. You can minimize this happening with your driving, the weight of the vehicle, settings, as well as various upgraded parts...but don't overlook that weight issue...which reminds me of what I'm trying to investigate with this thread.

The transmissions are the same for the slash, bandit, rustler and stampede...all 2wd. So as you search for parts keep that in mind. You might consider starting a thread for your bandit, provide information as to your set-up, driving style and direction for your build...I'm sure many will provide advice. After determining which pitch and tooth size, I'd also do an internet search such as: traxxas 2wd metal spur 60 tooth 32 pitch. See what you can find out.

I started this thread to explore the transmission building, as there are a ton of different options available.

Anyone have any weights for the various tranny cases?

RC Champion
    No, but FLM boasts it's a light case. It is not heavy but very strong.

RC Racer
    Well I've looked on the internet and searched older posts/threads and I can't find a lot of info regarding the weights of these different tranny cases. Perhaps as we build custom trannys for our RCs we could weigh the case and post the results. I have an RPM case that I can weigh in the near future.

A couple of questions for you regarding trans cases:

1. For bashing, what is the best case?

2. For speed runs, what is the best case?

3. For racing, what is the best case?

I see the trans case as being one of two groups A. Aluminum/Metal and B. Plastic/nylon-whatever. I see the metal cases being good for street cars (including speed runs,) that could use the heat sink and weight, and I see the plastic cases good for racing and bashing. I wonder about the flex of the RPM case, and worry that it may case gear damage. I think at the moment, my favorite trans case is the stock transmission case with the STRC motor plate that A1ArmedToaster uses on his rustler. I am liking the stock case (in black,) due to its weight and stiffness, and with the metal motor plate the durability factor is taken away, as I have seen some say that BL motor will wear out the mounting area.

Do you have a different opinion or other suggestion?

RC Champion
    Having wrecked very badly many times with the FLM case and TBR rear bumper, the case has zero damage. I just don't see a down side to it unless you're on a track running real races. Which I don't.

I wouldn't mess with the rpm case because of the same flexibility concerns you have and I don't really see the need for the an aluminum case unless you're running an 1/8 scale motor or you just feel like spending the extra money ($8+opt $10 vs $60).

Have you tried contacting the manufacturers you have in mind to see if they have a weight recorded?
    Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ArmedToaster View Post
    I wouldn't mess with the rpm case because of the same flexibility concerns you have and I don't really see the need for the an aluminum case unless you're running an 1/8 scale motor or you just feel like spending the extra money ($8+opt $10 vs $60).

Have you tried contacting the manufacturers you have in mind to see if they have a weight recorded?
    I agree with this advice. But was looking to keep the motor temps under control. Just so happens I can fit a 2650kv Poseidon in the FLM case

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Rpm case is just fine. Even on 4s with 1800kv castle 1/8 motor. I dont think the case is made with tye same flexible plastic as their suspension parts. Biggest pro is the toe in options and metal motor plate. This makes it a no brainer for me in any trx 2wd i will ever build.

Pinion and spur.... I would use trx 32p jato spurs, and a 32p pinion. They last much longer than the 48p stock spurs. You cant run the gear cover with the jato spurs unless you space it out. Thats important if you run with kids as little fingers can get messed up in there.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...