RC poster

Tires for 2wd Rustler VXL

I've poked around a few places online for suggestions on what to put onto my stock 2wd Rustler; figured I'd try here to see if there's a consensus of some sort.

I've got a 2wd Rustler VXL; mostly stock, running on a 2s LiPo battery. I chewed through the stock tires pretty quickly running it on the pavement out in front of my house, so I'm looking to replace those. Going forward, I'll probably be doing most of my bashing off-road (grass/gravel/dirt,) and will probably keep my stock tires kicking around for any time I want to rip around on pavement. That said, I'd like to buy a set of tires that aren't going to melt away if I want to put them on asphalt for a rip up and down the street. Any opnions/thoughts on which of those two tires would be better for me? Or other alternatives?

Also, I'm assuming that 2.8" is the way to go?

For what your describing your usage would be & type of terrain you'll be running on, you can't go wrong with these; https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...76023?v=949174
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTigerDad View Post
    For what your describing your usage would be & type of terrain you'll be running on, you can't go wrong with these; https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...76023?v=949174
    Thanks, though ProLine's website says those are discontinued... I'm guessing whatever 2.8" LP trenchers on their site would do?

Related question; what's the difference (aesthetically and functionally) between the low-profile tires and 'normal'?

Quote Originally Posted by power_yyc View Post
    Thanks, though ProLine's website says those are discontinued... I'm guessing whatever 2.8" LP trenchers on their site would do?

Related question; what's the difference (aesthetically and functionally) between the low-profile tires and 'normal'?
    Proline's site shows 10+ quantity in stock at the moment- https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

These just came out on the new Raid wheels, so I don't believe they would be discontinued already - perhaps you saw them mounted on different wheels. Either way, you'll want them on the Raid wheels. With their interchangeable hexes they can be rotated front to rear with ease for even wear.

The LP (low profile) versions measure 4.27" in overall diameter and 2.21" in width. The standard 2.8" Trenchers are 4.87" in overall diameter and 2.86" in width. The standards are very big and would require a gearing change, among other things to make them run without issue. The LP's would pretty much be a bolt on swap.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTigerDad View Post
    Proline's site shows 10+ quantity in stock at the moment- https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp
    Doesn't look like my local shop (Canada) carries the LP ones, and shipping up to here is prohibitively expensive. Would I be better off with the 2.2" regular version of that tire vs. 2.8", or should I look for something else altogether?

2.8s look a bit cooler IMO and will obviously give you a little more ground clearance if that's important to you but the Rustler handles very sweet on 2.2" rims, 2.2" also being the standard rim size for racing STs.

As you're looking to run off-road and buying new rims, you might want to consider fitting front rims all-round and adding some toe-in at the rear which improves off-road handling significantly.

There are several ways to add rear toe-in but a cheap and easy one is to swap out the rear arms for Slash 2WD arms (part #2555) which have 3 of toe built into them. These arms are shorter than the Rustler (#3655) ones but you compensate for this by running front rims all-round which have greater off-set. Another major benefit is that it allows you to rotate the wheels front to rear to even out wear. You'll also need to shorten the rear camber links buy using short rod ends (like the ones on the steering arms).

I run Slash arms with RPM Revolver front 2.2" rims. https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-rev...pm82062/p34387
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC poster
    Thanks for the help guys. Going to pop into my LHS in the next day or two and see what I've got available to me. Just want to get something on there before going camping next week so that I can enjoy my new toy a bit, rather than show up and blow a tire on day 1, leaving me with little to do for the rest of the week.

Mr. Wolf - I like the idea of adding toe-in at the rear; might not be a 'this week' thing, but I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Doesn't look like my local shop (Canada) carries the LP ones, and shipping up to here is prohibitively expensive. Would I be better off with the 2.2" regular version of that tire vs. 2.8", or should I look for something else altogether?
    Well, that's a shame. The 2.2" version of the Trencher is still a good option, if you can get those. You just lose a little ground clearance for off road bashing - the 2.2 "T" Trencher is 4.1" overall diameter vs the 4.27" of the 2.8 LP. Although it's still slightly taller than the 4.0" of the stock Traxxas Alias tires. And then there's the offset difference that Mr. Wolf elaborated on - best to swap arms now to those that will give equal offset. It will pay off dramatically in the long run for both tire wear and ease of wheel/tire purchases in the future. And while you're changing arms, definitely get the rears with toe in, as mentioned. It will make straight line tracking under power much more controllable.

If no Trenchers are available for you locally, then see what you can get in the way of some Duratrax pre-mounted 2.8's. They make a few different tread patterns that are quite nice for all around use, and will still provide a good amount of ground clearance. As a bonus, they're typically inexpensive compared to Proline rubber.

RC poster
    Alright, now is the time for a silly question, but I might as well just go ahead and embarrass myself; it’s only the internet after all.

You said the 2.2 trenchers are 4.1” tall, vs the stock alias which are 4.0” tall (also a 2.8 tire)

What the eff is the 2.2/2.8 measuring?? My guess at this point is wheel width, but I’m just not sure.

No worries. It measures the actual wheel (not tire) diameter, or the inner bead diameter of the tire. Even though the 2.2 Trenchers are a smaller inner diameter than the stock 2.8 Alias', the sidewall is a litter larger, making overall outer diameter the 0.1" bigger.
    Last edited by FlyingTigerDad; 06-24-2020 at 09:33 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks.

Looks like my *only* local option right now are the Pro-line Badlands: https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...es-mounted.asp

Guess I'll have to give them a shot; I'd rather have something that a bald pair of Traxxas Alias on the rear that end up blowing out while I'm out camping.

Thanks.

Looks like my *only* local option right now are the Pro-line Badlands: https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...es-mounted.asp

Guess I'll have to give them a shot; I'd rather have something that a bald pair of Traxxas Alias on the rear that end up blowing out while I'm out camping.
    These are actually a great option if that winds up being all you can get. Not quite as good on-road as the Trenchers in the on-road/off-road capability combination, but they will be awesome off road, in grass/dirt etc. They also will have a nice amount of ground clearance. You'll be happy with them, I believe.

I just got the 2.8 Badlands for my rustler 2wd brushed xl5 time to get some rusty time in.

Also got
    90/14 gearing. And 1406 4600kv motor mamba x esc. Yet to install as well.

I like the Badlands on my eRevo and will get them on my xmaxx once I need tires. As I'm mostly off-road.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk