RC Turnbuckle Jr. bashin Maxxer15's Avatar

Hacker brushless vs HV-maxx

What would you suggest? I probably wont be getting one anytime soon due to $$$ issues but would like to know more about the Hacker system before i go with the hv-maxx.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Qualifier
    No experience with hacker, but heard they were good....i would go to rc monster if you want a real opinion, those guys are insane!
    Emaxx:9920/10xl, Gorilla Carbon Fiber Ext Chassis, Gorilla Suspension, UE 8 spyders, FLM hybrid Bulks, UE Supershocks, 40 series crime fighters/Cheyenne rims, 23mm Proline adapts, UE CVDs, 16 IB3800's
    Jato: Now is a 3.3! xxxxxxxxxxxx Can you see me now?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I dont know, the hacker system seemed to have faded away. I havent heard anything about one for a long time. From what I've heard, they are just a bit faster than an HV but cost more.

Even if I had to choose and money wasnt an issue, I would go with the HV even if the hacker was faster. The HV is a sensored system, and it wont cog. Also, Novak has very good customer service, just like Traxxas.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Champion
    Hacker hasn't gone away, they are just higher end and more expensive. Since the BK and Feiago motors have come out at such a low price, hacker is less prominent in the e-maxx scene, but in the competition boat, heli, and airplane groups, hacker is still very hot.

I wouldn't get the HV, based on eveything I have found, it is designed for a slightly modified lightweight truck. You can gear a BK/Feiago system much better to your truck and driving needs due to the large selection of motors and the option for different cell counts.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Revo
    From what I've heard, they are just a bit faster than an HV but cost more... The HV is a sensored system, and it wont cog.
    The Hackers I've owned are significantly faster than the HV-Maxx, and I haven't had any noticable cogging problems.

With that said, between the two I'd go with the HV if cost was a factor.

Ultimately, I preferred my 9918/9L set-up over the HV. Plus, I beat that set-up insanely hard and never needed customer service.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC Qualifier
    Ultimately, I preferred my 9918/9L set-up over the HV. Plus, I beat that set-up insanely hard and never needed customer service

how did you keep it cool? i keep thermaling my hv
    Emaxx:9920/10xl, Gorilla Carbon Fiber Ext Chassis, Gorilla Suspension, UE 8 spyders, FLM hybrid Bulks, UE Supershocks, 40 series crime fighters/Cheyenne rims, 23mm Proline adapts, UE CVDs, 16 IB3800's

RC Champion
    My HV had to be geared very conservatively and I always felt like I had to be careful with it, like it was delicate or something.

When I wrote "I beat that set-up insanely hard" I was referring to the 9918/9L. It never even got hot and never ever thermalled ... Even with back to back to back (no rest) 14 cell packs on 110F California days. I loved that setup.

Can you tell?

RC Qualifier
    that's how i feel with my hv...in time, i wan to get the 9920 9L set up...i'm also trying some ways to "fan" cool the motor in my hv...it'll take some time i think, but i'll let you guys know....

RC Qualifier
    But i will say this. if u want more run time, go 3700, you'll be happy

RC Racer
    For a brushless newb, I would recommend the HV. The Hacker will rip your driveline to shreds unless you throw mega bucks in UE parts at it. From my experience, even with the HV, you really need CVDs front, rear, and center, shimmed diffs, metal idler gears, robinson racing slipper, and much lower gearing to make it reliable.
    Last edited by HV-Maxxed; 04-12-2006 at 01:19 PM.
    Revo 3.3 - ordered and shipped!
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    10L/9918 Brushless Savage
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx
    OFNA Hyper 7 TQ with O.S. RG .21
    Brushless Stampede (for sale)

RC Qualifier
    i agree with HV...although, i'm still running stock gears until a break something.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neweuser
    i agree with HV...although, i'm still running stock gears until a break something.
    You can't run stock gearing with the hv. Doing so, I believe, will void the warranty, and will surely lead to premature motor and esc failure!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    I think he might be talking about the idlers.
    Revo 3.3 - ordered and shipped!
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    10L/9918 Brushless Savage
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx
    OFNA Hyper 7 TQ with O.S. RG .21
    Brushless Stampede (for sale)

RC Champion
    Castle Creations should be bringing out there brushless maxx set up soon i think there aiming for around $200 and like the mamba 25 there going to have a few different options
    2.5maxx and pro 15 rustler

RC Qualifier
    True, i do not recommend stock gearing. But then again, i don't mind a little repair as it keeps me busy!