RC Competitor

New R/C, stuck on what to get

Hey all, I am in the market for a new R/C. I definately want to keep it traxxas and nitro. I have a T-Maxx and loved it when it ran, but its dead now and would take alot to fix it up. I love to drive MTs, but my friend recently got a Raven ST (I almost slapped him for not going traxxas). It was a blast to drive the stadium truck, and Im thinking I want to get one. I am stuck between either the Jato, the 2.5R T-Maxx, or the 3.3 T-Maxx. The Jato is more in my price range and has crazy speed. I know how the T-Maxx's handle and hold up to bashing, but have never driven a nitro stadium truck. How well does the Jato perform and handle, and how well will a Jato hold up to bashing without spending too much on aftermarket parts?

RC Qualifier
    get the jato if your looking for fast and fun
    the rpm arms are lifetime warenty and are inexpensive
    if you dont want to spend much and are looking 4 speed the jato is the way to go

dont i sound like a tv ad

RC Competitor
    Thanks for a quick reply. Its not all about speed for me though, it just adds to the excitement. How well will it hold up to jumps, what is most likely to break and are they expensive to replace?

RC Qualifier
    I have really found the Jato to be a dream. The thing has so much speed that its almost scary as it will eat up almost any track or open area that you have before you even tap its potential. Mine has suffered numerous crashes due to the simple fact that it is "to fast". Overall though, I have found the repairs to be quite easy and cheep, considering what you get. Recently I tore off an entire back wheel when my Jato wheelied up and smashed into a Bleachers. The aftermarket parts that you will need in order to bash are not that expensive, RPM A-Arms are a must ~$10 (lifetime warranty on virtually any breakage), also Ti turnbuckles from Lunsford are quite pricey but have a lifetime warranty. These are the things that seem to be breaking for everyone, not expensive repairs considering that you are smashing an 8 lb piece of plastic into a concrete curb at ~50-60 mph.
    Just got upgrade fever

RC Qualifier
    its as likely to break less because my friend and i were bashing (he has a sport maxx) he broke his gearbox and ripped off the whole back end aswell as breaking the diff
    i have only broken minor parts (easy start mount on roll bar)
    yeah its a big difference

RC Qualifier
    also the jato gets madd air

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I was considering both of those (lunsford turnbuckles and RPM arms). Im gonna go with the Jato. I was leaning towards it to begin with becuase its a little cheaper, and at 16 I wanna save every penny I can. Do the bulks on the jato break like the T-Maxx's do? Thanks for your info guys.

RC Qualifier
    for me when mine broke the only thing that happened was that i stripped my screw from the bk head....i still havent replaced it because the jato offeres you two holes where you can put the turnbuckles in

RC Qualifier
    tires resonator 3.3 and probably a spare body

RC Racer
    If you want the ultimate basher MT, it starts with an "S" , isn't made by traxxas, and is in my sig. Nothing else comes close for durability. The drivetrain and chassis makes the maxx look like a toy.
    Last edited by HV-Maxxed; 04-11-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Revo 3.3 - ordered and shipped!
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    10L/9918 Brushless Savage
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx
    OFNA Hyper 7 TQ with O.S. RG .21
    Brushless Stampede (for sale)

RC Competitor
    I was looking at the savage, but decided against it. I want to stick to traxxas. I also drove a savage and didnt like it enough to want to buy one.

RC Racer
    the jato is incredibly durable but if you really enjoyed the monster truckness of your tmaxx you might miss it. the jato doesn't handle the rough construction terrain but if you have any road/field/dunes/track the jato will perform like a dream. but when i feel the need for some rough and tumble terrain nothing beats a 4wd monster truck. i have just installed a 3.3 into my jato and i'm loving it on road, i'm going to get a set of road tires and its has permanently shelfed my touring car. as for hopups the jato for starters definitely needs an extra set or 2 or rear tires for different terrains. then just replace what you break, but some things i always do to a nitro is get a fail safe, motor saver air filter, and a temp gun if you don't have one for tuning. but an extra set of rear tires is a must.

RC Competitor
    I am going to keep my T-Maxx, I was exagerating when I said I couldnt fix it, I probably only would need a pipe, an engine, and a fuel tank. I just want a new, different kind of truck or car, so thats why my mind is now set on the jato. I belong to a dirt bike club that has a small moto x track, but only has a few table tops because its mainly a woods riding club. How does the Jato do at hill climbing? We have a lot of steep hills. The original T-Maxx with the .12 made it right up the hill we use for hill climbing events, its not as steep and it is only about 120 ft long. I believe the Jato would perform awesome out here because its has a lot of big open fields, and has a long gravel stretch, then the moto x track, and then there are tracks out in the 800 acres of woods that would be awesome.

RC Racer
    if you put the right tires on it i think it would do just fine maybe better then the t-maxx.i have both jato and t-maxx i think i run my jato 85% more of the time .it is just more fun and it breaks less then the t-maxx keep your t-maxx and someday fix it but you have to get a jato i think both are a must have .it is preaty cool when you can make the jato drift sideways for about 25 yards it just does things that the t-maxx cant but like i said must have both or they could just make a 4 wheel drive jato that would be cool
    2.5R jato/2.5 t-max/3.3 revo/3.3 jato/stampede xl-5
    drivehard or go home

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by HV-Maxxed
    If you want the ultimate basher MT, it starts with an "S" , isn't made by traxxas, and is in my sig. Nothing else comes close for durability. The drivetrain and chassis makes the maxx look like a toy.
    I disagree, I thin HPi cars are generally, pretty weak. I've owned 2 HPi RS4 3 evos and seen a few Savages and think they are pretty delicate!!

The Revo, The T-Maxx and the Jato are all super tough, unlike my total bucket of **** which was my hpi car
    Positive Negativity..Huh??

RC Qualifier
    i was thinking about getting the hpi mt2 but than decided to go traxxas because my friend has traxxas and there r alot of hop ups avalible for traxxas cars.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatoninja UK
    I disagree, I thin HPi cars are generally, pretty weak. I've owned 2 HPi RS4 3 evos and seen a few Savages and think they are pretty delicate!!

The Revo, The T-Maxx and the Jato are all super tough, unlike my total bucket of **** which was my hpi car

LOL, you think the Savvy is delicate? That's the funniest thing I have heard all day. You have never owned a Savage so you know nothing about it. It is widely regarded (even by most traxxas owners that aren't in denial) as the ultimate basher MT and has been since it came out years ago. I've fumbled and hit stuff with mine in ways that I know for a fact would have totalled my Jato and E-maxx. It's a tank. Lets see. I have rpm everything, titanium pins, aluminum bulks, cvds, etc on my E-maxx and I still break it a lot more than my STOCK Savage chassis. Actually I have never broken either of my Savages other than stripping out a couple of wheel hexes due to excessive amounts of horsepower. lol
    Last edited by HV-Maxxed; 04-12-2006 at 09:03 AM.
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all of your input guys. I cant comment on the toughness of the Savage. I never got to look at it up close, I only drove it around for a couple minutes then the guy had to leave. I think it would be a good truck if I got to drive it around a while more, and it seems like most who have them like them. I want to go with something different then a MT this time around though. Maybe in the future when I actually get a job I can get the savage as well as my T-Maxx and soon to have Jato. Then I can really see for my self wether it is the ultimate basher.

RC Champion
    jato is great but it definetly needs diffrent tires.

RC Competitor

dude

dude you should get a jato, i am 14 a total rcnewb, and it is the best!!!!! i have crashed and it holds up well, the stock tires do suck on pavement, but overall its an insane car!, i would buy 5 more jatos if i had the $$$$$$$$$

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by HV-Maxxed
    LOL, you think the Savvy is delicate? That's the funniest thing I have heard all day. You have never owned a Savage so you know nothing about it. It is widely regarded (even by most traxxas owners that aren't in denial) as the ultimate basher MT and has been since it came out years ago. I've fumbled and hit stuff with mine in ways that I know for a fact would have totalled my Jato and E-maxx. It's a tank. Lets see. I have rpm everything, titanium pins, aluminum bulks, cvds, etc on my E-maxx and I still break it a lot more than my STOCK Savage chassis. Actually I have never broken either of my Savages other than stripping out a couple of wheel hexes due to excessive amounts of horsepower. lol
    everyones entitled to their opinion eh?

AS for Hpi I have had bad experience with poor quality workmanship, expensive spares, and durability problems.
    I can only confirm how **** the HPi RS4 Evo is, but I would also add thart I have seen a lot of videos on the Web, with trucks bashing etc, and most of the ones I've seen break were HPIs! lol

Also don't understand your point concerning newbies?? I'm not one, but if I was; whats the problem?, is your extensive knowledge gospel?? are you the man that knows it all?

QUESTION FOR YOU ALL:

Savage or TMAXX?
    Positive Negativity..Huh??

RC Competitor
    Where are you guys finding new jatos for cheapest. The cheapest I have seen is towerhobbies.

RC Champion
    Savage SS 4.6. If it was Savage 25 vs T-Maxx, then T-Maxx.
    I hate E-Clips

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals08
    Where are you guys finding new jatos for cheapest. The cheapest I have seen is towerhobbies.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//c509.html

$314 + free US shipping
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx

RC Champion
    wow thatrs cheap, in egnland the cheapest i seen is 260, which is $455.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jatoninja UK
    everyones entitled to their opinion eh?

AS for Hpi I have had bad experience with poor quality workmanship, expensive spares, and durability problems.
    I can only confirm how **** the HPi RS4 Evo is, but I would also add thart I have seen a lot of videos on the Web, with trucks bashing etc, and most of the ones I've seen break were HPIs! lol

Also don't understand your point concerning newbies?? I'm not one, but if I was; whats the problem?, is your extensive knowledge gospel?? are you the man that knows it all?

QUESTION FOR YOU ALL:

Savage or TMAXX?

Sure, you can have an opinion, but it doesn't mean much when it's an opinion about something you have no experience with other than a road car of the same brand or some basher video you saw. In reponse to your comments about my sig, I have no problem with newbs. I actually find them quite entertaining. I've been in RC for 22 years, so I do know my fair share about the hobby and am not afraid to challenge bogus info from others.
    Jato
    Savage SS 4.6
    HV-Maxx Brushless E-maxx

RC Qualifier
    you will most likely break the chassis top plate if you land upside down on big jumps, and maybe the throttle servo mount, but the mount that is actually on the servo... probably some steering linkage parts if you run into things... just buy the rpm arms.. i know they aren't much on looks, but for durability, they are the king... then just get an extra top front bulkhead(just in case) and dont loose the front wheel bearings... oh BTW you will want an extra set of rear tires to throw on right after break in because that's when my stockers wore out....

Best advice- the jato is a very high tech piece of machinery, if you havent delt with one yet (ie-dissassembly, driving, tuning tranny/motor/etc...)
    READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!- CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!

BTW- not yelling at you, or bashing you... just giving the most important info IMO
    see you around the jato forums
    Smooth is Fast. Slow is Smooth. Therefore, Slow MUST equal Fast.

RC Champion
    I personally find the Jato to be pretty durable. I bash with mine and it takes what I dish out. I jump mine off of skate board ramps about 10 - 15 feet in the air and i have only broke an a arm, rear shock tower and chassis top plate. Very little compared to the beating I put on this truck. I think Traxxas is the leader in RC but I have never messed with anything else besides my AE RC18MT but that aside Traxxas all the way. I own a Tmaxx, 2 nitro stampedes, and a Jato and love them all. I would get the Jato again in a heartbeat. Traxxas all the way man.

Redlined Man
    Git -R- Done, RC Style; Big Air And High Speeds

RC Competitor
    Thanks HV, now all I need to do is get my dad to order it for me
    READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!- CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!
    Definately will do this, after having the TRX .12 and TRX .15 Pro go bad on me after only about a gallon of fuel through them, I will definately read the manual and watch the DVD several times before break in. I wish my dad would have broken them in properly before turning me loose, then I would still have a running truck. I didnt know that they needed break in at the time. Oh well, I have an excuse to get the Jato now.
    What are some good tires? Mostly I would be running on sidewalks and driveways in front of my house to get a run at the ramp, then landing in grass. Every once in a while I will hit the gravel and the road (Not smooth, almost like gravel, only it isnt loose). What tires would you suggest for these conditions?
    Sorry for all my questions, I just want to do this right this time around.

RC Competitor
    Oh, and if it makes a difference for tires, I would like to get blue RPM Clawz for the wheels (I want a black and blue Jato)
    Holy cow!!! Just looked at the lunsford turnbuckle set for the jato, 60 bucks is too much for me. If I can get my dad to pay for them or something Ill get them, lol. But Ill barely have enough for the Jato, the RPM arms, and the spare wheels and tires. I guess its time to get a job, nah, too lazy. If my Jato breaks and my dad wont pay, I guess I might consider it, but Ill be more likely to not eat lunch and save the money for parts! lol
    Oh yeah, almost forgot about a fail safe and possibly a temp gun, never had either. What are some good ones that arent costly.
    Im thinking Venom fail safe.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMG5&P=M
    And this temp gun
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMG5&P=M
    Oh, and the list goes on. What do I need for maintanance while Im ordering? Do I need after run oil, or is WD 40 good? Man, I am really asking alot of questions. I guess its better to ask then to end up not having everything I need when I go to break it in. I hope I am not bothering you guys too much.
    Last edited by Cardinals08; 04-12-2006 at 10:46 PM.