RC Enthusiast

Question hv maxx and sand

I am running a hv maxx setup with cvds and the reccomended gearing. This summer i want to take it to the beach. Does anyone know if this will hurt the hv maxx or should i just put the old titans back in for the beach?

RC Champion
    The motor should do mostly OK if it's anything like my SS5800 (grains of sand are mostly too large to get into the motor). BUT if I were you I would plug up the extra motor screw holes in the endbell somehow. I put some grease in the holes in my SS5800 to seal the motor better.

RC Enthusiast
    so if i seal the front holes it should be ok?
    "Quote"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Yeah, but the sand will grind on your drivetrain pretty bad, and do your bearings in quickly, so your drivetrain and suspension will require a lot of periodic maintenance .
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    When you say on the beach, does that mean sand or sand, mud and water?

Cheers

RC Enthusiast
    it means dry sand
    "Quote"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Pede
    The motor should do mostly OK if it's anything like my SS5800 (grains of sand are mostly too large to get into the motor). BUT if I were you I would plug up the extra motor screw holes in the endbell somehow. I put some grease in the holes in my SS5800 to seal the motor better.
    GREASE? Isn't that the oposite of what you would want to do? It would attract more dirt if you do that.

Why not some kinda rubber cement? Atleast that is what I would use but in VERY small amounts.
    LRP Novak MM5700 RPM Lunsford

Traxxas Marshal
    Yeah... DO NOT use grease! That will just attract the dirt like mebemikey said. I've read somewhere about using silocone, but rubber cement would probably work. Just be careful not to get it into the motor. Personally, I'd use a small peice of tape or something that way I can easily remove it later.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Um, could you tape them up? That way they could easily be uncovered if need be.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Well I just used a little grease to plug up the holes...I didn't smear it all over the endbell or anything. I would have used something else if I had a better idea at the time. But really, dirt/dust is only gonna get stuck to the outside of the grease "plug." It's not going to be sucked into the motor or anything.

Anyhow, I like the idea of tape too. Grease is not ideal of course.