Thread: Audi S4?

RC Racer

Talking Audi S4?

good car or not?

ne1 driven one?

fast?
    ***JB***

RC Competitor
    Never driven one but you can't go wrong with a Twin Turbo V6 AWD and Audi luxury. I hear they're pretty fast.

RC Qualifier
    FRIENDS GOT AN old audi with a porsche 955 engine it is really quick

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bbb View Post
    Never driven one but you can't go wrong with a Twin Turbo V6 AWD and Audi parts. I hear they're pretty fast.
    The S4 has been a great daily driver over the last year, and I've put over 11k miles on it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Had a '00 S4 a few years back and wasn't real impressed, but it had about 100k on it. For a TT V6 with a 6 speed and AWD it wasn't as fast as I was expecting, the steering was really heavy and felt too heavy to handle like it should but the ride was too firm to use as a cruiser. Plus it's an Audi so it will need work twice as often as it should and cost 3x what it should. When we got it the transmission was having issues in the cold and there were a few warning lights that liked to blink on and off at random (ABS, air bag, STM, and check engine). Had a '99 A4, '02 A6, and '05 Allroad which all had issues, my Uncle had an '03 Allroad that blew it's transmission 3 months out of warranty. Audi was gracious enough to pay $3,000 of the cost to replace the transmission but the other $5,000 had to come out of his pocket. German cars aren't what they used to be, and it's a shame because I like the styling of a lot of them but the cost to keep one on the road is just too much.

RC Qualifier
    Which S4 are you looking at (B5, B6, B7, etc)? You would get better reviews on Audi forums such as Audiworld, Vortex, Audizine, etc. I own an Audi TT but wanted the S4 back then however my horrible driving record back in college, my insurance payment was more than the car. As mentioned above, maintenance and repairs on Audi's are expensive so I would recommend buying a car with a warranty.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Qualifier
    I forgot to add L4P on the list of forums....
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Champion
    No experience with an S4 but the RS4 is a rewarding drive, goes like a scalded cat on carpet. The cabin is a little cramped for me though but that's more to do with human versus car dimensions!

RC Qualifier
    What was the purpose of reviving this thread? I'll share my knowledge for posterity.

If you're a young guy looking for a hot ride for high school or college, forget it. The B5 S4s are almost universally in poor condition independent of whether or not you know or want to believe it. They've all been through multiple owners, and even if it was upgraded to Stage II+, you really are looking at several thousand in unforeseen and unpredictable costs. Just search out the engine plumbing / hoses, and you'll find the main two will cost more than $400 when they fail. If it's stock and has over 80,000, you'll need about $3,000 in parts to replace the turbos and plumbing if you go stock. Beautiful cars, but they're a total bag of worms.

The B6/B7 S4s had V8s, but you're still looking at a well-worn and high-mileage AWD performance sedan. Maintenance is a killer. After much research and personally owning an older Audi, I realized I was better off just getting a new VW as my single vehicle; when I can afford a second car, and if I'm still interested in the older S4s, I might get one. But realistically the time for owning those cars has passed, and I'll be better off just ordering a new S4.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    What was the purpose of reviving this thread? I'll share my knowledge for posterity.

If you're a young guy looking for a hot ride for high school or college, forget it. The B5 S4s are almost universally in poor condition independent of whether or not you know or want to believe it. They've all been through multiple owners, and even if it was upgraded to Stage II+, you really are looking at several thousand in unforeseen and unpredictable costs. Just search out the engine plumbing / hoses, and you'll find the main two will cost more than $400 when they fail. If it's stock and has over 80,000, you'll need about $3,000 in parts to replace the turbos and plumbing if you go stock. Beautiful cars, but they're a total bag of worms.

The B6/B7 S4s had V8s, but you're still looking at a well-worn and high-mileage AWD performance sedan. Maintenance is a killer. After much research and personally owning an older Audi, I realized I was better off just getting a new VW as my single vehicle; when I can afford a second car, and if I'm still interested in the older S4s, I might get one. But realistically the time for owning those cars has passed, and I'll be better off just ordering a new S4.
    Chances are Kurt was just reading through some threads and replied, not seeing the date. Not the end of the world though.

Maintenance is definitely the killer though, especially when the little control modules start going bad. ABS control module on our '99 A4 was something like $1600 just for the part, plus the airbag control module needed replaced before we could sell it and even then it had some issues (~134k miles).

RC Racer
    I mean depending what your looking at B5 B6 B7 B8 they are all pretty good cars especially the B8's my dad actualy has a 2011 audi S5 cabriolet and it has the same engine and it goes. Audi is known for there refined luxury and the styling of the B8 is also nice but really it is the best S4 built yet.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-09-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Language
    Revo 3.3 T-Maxx 3.3 T-Maxx 2.5 Nitro Rustler2.5R