RC Racer

Question Best batteries for Emaxx?

You guys have been here for a while, and im kinda new to the electric trucks, so what is the best set of batteries for an Emaxx if i dont want to spend too much money (over $150)?

RC Enthusiast
    is this a basher or a racer where you want really good matched packs?
    "Quote"

RC Qualifier
    i would say if your just bashing pick up some IB3800's or some GP 3300....if you want to have the serious edge get some IB4200's or some GP3700's...AND if you want more power than anyone in the neighbourhood....venture into Lithium Polymer...but thats outta your price range,dangoures and costly all around...but well worth it....anyways i would say the GP3300's or the IB3800's....if your really tight on budget you could get IB3600's....but you might as well get the IB3800's for the little extra dough..

THNX
    Duggy

RC Qualifier
    The best bang for your buck is Radio Shack's GP3300's $24.99.They're great for bashing.
    2 Stampede's, E-Maxx, Extended chassis T-Maxx 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshootertexan
    The best bang for your buck is Radio Shack's GP3300's $24.99.They're great for bashing.
    What kind of run time do you get with these?
    ~Wiggs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    im going with the 7 cell ib 4200s from maxamps.com,you can get them for $141.07 tax and all with deans,not a bad deal.

jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    I bought my brother a pair of RadioShack GP3300 MAH packs for his birthday in March (Bought him the truck for Christmas), and they work great, and they were cheap. Run time is typically about 6-7 minutes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    6-7 Minutes? Ouch...I get 14-15 with my 7 cell converted epic sportpacks... 21+ with those same batteries on my HV though lol.

For most purposes, I would get GP3700's. If you are ok with building the pack yourself, you can get two sets of 7 cell packs (28 cells total) for only 132 bucks or so, I think it comes out to 146 out the door (shipping).

However, if you have some extra dough and want extra voltage and run time, you can step up to IB3800's.

If you really want the best NiMH cells out there, then the IB4200's or GP4300's are the way to go. The GP4300's have more run time (about 300-400mah more) while the IB4200's have a little more voltage (.01 volts per cell).
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC poster

Try all-battery.com

I have been using their 3300 8.4V and 3300 7.2V
    They work out to $15 when you by 4 and they pay shipping

run time with stock motors >20 min

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carey.ritchey
    I have been using their 3300 8.4V and 3300 7.2V
    They work out to $15 when you by 4 and they pay shipping

run time with stock motors >20 min
    That sounds like a great deal for the 8.4 volt packs (maybe for the 7.2 also, but 7.2 volt packs bore me and I'll never run another 7.2 volt pack again).
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    I love my recently purchased IB4200s! They were right at $150, so, you can get 1 really good set of 7 cell IB4200 or 3 sets of 6 cell GP3300 Radio Shack cells...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I got 1 set of 6 cell GP3700's and 1 set of 7 Cell GP3700's for 128 shipped (unbuilt). They all had pretty respectable numbers. 1.175 was the average.

I dont think going for the very top cells is worth it. You pay close to two times more and get only 10% or so more run time. I mean, my GP3700's came out to about 5 bucks a cell while GP4300's come out to like 9 dollars a cell...

RC Qualifier
    how much runtime do you get with the GP3700's BP-Revo? the 7 cell ones?

THNX
    Duggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, I just got them, and havent been able to put them together...(I know lol).

However, since I get over 21 minutes on Epic 3000mah Sportpacks with my HV-Maxx, im estimating over 25 minutes with the 3700's, if not more.

Its hard to compare any battery to an epic 3000 sportpack because though only rated at 3000mah, my Sportpacks have had capacities as high as 3654mah (I know).

Ill make sure to do a "Review" type thing on the HV and GP's when I get a chance, I already did one, here:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=316871

This should be a good help to anyone who wants to upgrade their maxx, especially if they want to build it for racing. My E-Maxx easily out handles a stock Revo or even a Revo with P2's and stiffer springs/thicker oil.

RC Qualifier
    oh i forgot your running brushless now...what times do you think youd get on stock Titans?.....also can you still buy sportpacks? heck i might buy some..

THNX
    Duggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Epic ones? Yea, they are those red ones. Ill post the tower link at the end of my post.

With stock titans, I was getting 13 minutes, but that was only because my Titans are pretty worn out, were overheating like crazy, etc. Before, when my titans were newer, I was averaging close to 20 minutes I would say.

Heres the link.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXERB5&P=ML

Last year, hobby people had sales every other week that put the price down to 15 each, which is awesome for a 3000mah pack, I ended up buying like 11. I used 7 to make 3 sets of 7 cell packs. and I have 1 set of 6 cell and one extra. The other one disappeared along with one of my EZ starts for my Nitro's.... Still ended up spending only like 170 for all of them though...and for 5 sets, thats 15000mah...I dont think its very easy to get that much run time for the price.

RC Qualifier
    do you think its worth the $40 for 2 Six-cell packs?(im running everything stock).....or should i put the money out and buy 2 7 cell IB3600 packs( i can get a good deal on these right now)($95 shipped)

THNX
    Duggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would get the IB3600's, they arent exactly proven or much worth it. I would instead go to Hypercells.com and go to the Monster Race Cells and buy the 12 GP3700's for 49 bucks plus like 6 bucks shipping. You do need to build them and buy some other accessories, but you will come out way ahead of the IB3600's and have more run time. For 66 bucks you can buy 14 cells of GP3700's, which would keep you ahead of the IB3600's still, but not as well as the 12 cells.

RC Qualifier
    yeah....i know the 3600's arent top of the pack...but for one they come assembled with Deans plugs....for starts thats $4 in deans plugs...second id have to buy Battery bars...and 3rd i dont have a proper soldering iron to do it...i would build my own pack but i dont have $100 to drop on a proper iron to do so....so for now i would like to buy prebuilt packs...thats why i thought $95 isnt bad for prebuilt packs with deans...

THNX
    Duggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    do the ib 4200s have more power and run time than the gp 3700s?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so as of now are the ib 4200 batteries the best nimh battery to buy and is the down fall about them just the price?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, even the IB3800's hae more power and run time.

100 bucks on an iron? Hmm, I use a 6 dollar iron for mine lol.

Well, in that case, cheapbatterypacks.com has IB3800's for the same price (about 100 bucks), and they are much more proven/better than the IB3600's.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    100$ on an iron.hmmm. ive also got a 10$ iron from radio shack.

RC Qualifier
    hmm cheapbatterypacks.com is out of stock...that sucks..

THNX
    Duggy

RC Champion
    at my LHS they have ib 3800 mached assybled packs (2) for 89 EDIT: 86 bucks plus tax is that a good deal?
    Last edited by likametal; 04-24-2006 at 10:15 PM.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats a great deal, especially if its 7 cells.

RC Champion
    well heck im going down there b4 they are sold ill go this friday and get the batts diff's and drive line stuff i need. and yeah they are 7 cells

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What LHS is this? I wanna go pick up a set my self... How far is Fresno from Huntington Beach lol?

RC Qualifier
    BP-REVO pick me up a set...lol...the days i wish i didnt live in Canada..lol

THNX
    Duggy

RC Qualifier
    hey i was thinking....would some 6 cell IB3800 matched packs be good? becuase i can get some really good deals on them from my local on-road buddies( i race onroad in the winter)...will i still be able to pull some wheelies with some matched IB3800 packs? or do i need 7 Cell's....becuase right now i am kind of on a budget(until i start cuttin grass) and i can get some 6 cells way cheaper then 7's

THNX
    Duggy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    6 Cell's should be fine. Wheelie wise, depends on your suspension. I would pull wheelies fine with stock suspension but when I got my Powerstrokes and lowered my truck's stance alot and my motors got a little old, I could only wheelie on 7 cell's.

PS. The HV totally solved my wheelie problem, now it wheelies even on a dead pack rofl.

RC Champion
    it's a hobby town usa the only one in fresno eh it's in central cali so what ... 4hours? but yeah i might as well go big since this is a ground up basicaly after putting all my goodies on my t-maxx (went over board) i have enough parts to make another t-maxx so as it is i already had a t-maxx next best thing E-maxx been a long time since i been in electric i member the big thing where the 3000 metal hiydre (or somthing like that)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by duggyb
    hey i was thinking....would some 6 cell IB3800 matched packs be good? becuase i can get some really good deals on them from my local on-road buddies( i race onroad in the winter)...will i still be able to pull some wheelies with some matched IB3800 packs? or do i need 7 Cell's....becuase right now i am kind of on a budget(until i start cuttin grass) and i can get some 6 cells way cheaper then 7's

THNX
    Duggy
    6-cell, matched packs of IB3800s will EASILY pull wheelies in 2nd gear. I can pick up the front end with the blip of the throttle and carry it from 20 to 50 feet before setting it down, and without a wheelie bar. 7-cell matched packs of IB3800s are just down right violent. Half shaft twisting, bumper grinding, roof sliding violent!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar2803
    so as of now are the ib 4200 batteries the best nimh battery to buy and is the down fall about them just the price?
    As far as I could tell, Yes, and that is exactly why I bought them...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    6-cell, matched packs of IB3800s will EASILY pull wheelies in 2nd gear. I can pick up the front end with the blip of the throttle and carry it from 20 to 50 feet before setting it down, and without a wheelie bar. 7-cell matched packs of IB3800s are just down right violent. Half shaft twisting, bumper grinding, roof sliding violent!
    hahaha awsome description jakey....looks like ill be picking up some 6-cell matched IB3800 packs.....since they are more in my price range and they can still pull up the wheels...

THNX
    Duggy

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ramp4ge
    I bought my brother a pair of RadioShack GP3300 MAH packs for his birthday in March (Bought him the truck for Christmas), and they work great, and they were cheap. Run time is typically about 6-7 minutes.
    Wow, you must not be charging them correctly (are you sure you have a NiMH charger?) because I'm getting like 17-20 min. runtime on mine, mostly hard on the throttle, no less.

The Radio Shack packs are great for bashing...i've got 3 sets (6 batteries) myself. I've heard that they'd be fine for Novice or Stock racing as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by encore75
    Wow, you must not be charging them correctly (are you sure you have a NiMH charger?) because I'm getting like 17-20 min. runtime on mine, mostly hard on the throttle, no less.

The Radio Shack packs are great for bashing...i've got 3 sets (6 batteries) myself. I've heard that they'd be fine for Novice or Stock racing as well.
    Yeah I get 6-7 mins out of my low end 1500 Sharks.

I'm heading up to Radio Shack right now in fact to buy a set of the GP3300's and give them a try... I'm hoping for that 17-20 also!
    ~Wiggs