RC poster

loosening wheel locknuts

anyone had problems with 3.3 t maxx,every time i run it the wheel nuts are loose on all wheels afterwards,i had to get some loctite,that did it now it's all good

RC Champion
    I haven't had this problem, but I think it would be nice if there was room to double nut them for racing purposes. I think that certain CVD's leave enough thread to do just that. I'm glad the locktite worked, Hopefully you used the removable kind though! lol
    www.rcbros.com check it out!!

RC Qualifier
    haven't had that problem either. Wish you the best of luck when you try to get them off though.
    Mugen Seiki MBX5r
    MERV
    Micro-T
    Tinity Now!

RC Competitor
    I have the same problem, I usually just crank down on them extra tight with a glowplug wrench before I run. That typically stops them from loosening.
    Modded Tmaxx 3.3
    Go Big or Go home!

Tmaxx Driveshaft mod : http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=317518

RC Champion
    Put alittle bit of blue lock-tite on the threads before tightening them.

Also make sure your tires are balanced. Sounds like a vibration issue.
    Racer E-Revo, Nitro Revo, aluminum BL pede, T-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    I have the same problem, almost to the point where I will be doing damage to the inside of the rim. I was thinking of the those knock off hub nuts. Anyone ever tried them?
    http://www.rcraveninc.com/c=OAnnimP9...product/TMKOBA
    Drive it like you stole it!

RC Enthusiast
    i have same problem with the left rear to where i stripped the rim and hub does anyone know wut kind of rim i need to buy 23mm hex ect. not sure wuts stock with the 3.3 thanks for any help

Tenzo_Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffryder505
    I have the same problem, almost to the point where I will be doing damage to the inside of the rim. I was thinking of the those knock off hub nuts. Anyone ever tried them?
    http://www.rcraveninc.com/c=OAnnimP9...product/TMKOBA
    I USED to have them but the stock nuts are better. The knock offs do not have any real locking features so they will loosen and fall off. After I bought 2 sets to replace the couple that fell off. I just switch back to the stock nuts.

RC Qualifier
    I second the blue locktite. I use it eveytime just to be safe

RC poster
    yes the the blue loctite is what i used easy to get off,and keeps wheels tight

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-mag
    i have same problem with the left rear to where i stripped the rim and hub does anyone know wut kind of rim i need to buy 23mm hex ect. not sure wuts stock with the 3.3 thanks for any help

Im using the proline velocity 40 series wheel w/ the 23mm hex…. w/ a bow tie tire and it works great at my local track…

I do have problems w/ the left rear nut loosening… I bought some new wheel nuts and now I never re-use a wheel nut (on the left side) because the nylon locker inside of the nut loses it ability to lock… and I use lock tight also… this seems like it fixed my problem…

So what I do is use brand new nut on the left side every time I remove the wheels I move the nuts from the left to the right and put the ones that were on the right in the used nut pile… This might be a little extreme but I don’t want my truck to break in a race. and the rigth side dose not seem to be as much of a problem...

I’ve also had an experience of tightening the wheel nut to much and while I was driving the axle broke right where the nut was… the nut didn’t move but the wheel still fell off… lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How many times have you taken the nuts off? The more you removes them the more the nylon wears. Just try to get a new set of nuts. That just might do the trick, it did for me. (I had no choice, couldn't find the nut in a field)
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Competitor
    I have the Pro-Line 23mm hubs as well and they have a tendancy to loosen even after a tank. How do I stop this? I cant imagine making it through a long main????
    Revo comin through....

The self locking wheel nuts are worn replace them and your problem is resolved.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Im referring to the pro-line blue wheel nuts not the traxxas ones.
    Revo comin through....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jneff28
    I have the Pro-Line 23mm hubs as well and they have a tendancy to loosen even after a tank. How do I stop this? I cant imagine making it through a long main????
    I used lock tight on the 23mm hubs also. I took a ½” drive 23mm socket and tighten the nuts up as tight as I could get them and mine have not budged in about a month of racing about (2) 5 minute races and (1) 7 minute main per weekend plus some bashing and tuning during the week…

I did this when they were new and as I just found out on another thread the surface has to be very clean for the lock tight to work the best and you need 24 cure time... So try cleaning them up and re-lock tight them…

RC poster

Double nuts

I had the wheel nuts come loose every run on my tmaxx and revo. I found that if you take a stock wheel nut a grind it down to 3/16"(grind the locking side) thick you can use it and a standard m5 locknut. This has fixed the problem of them backing off. I did the same thing on 23mm hexes that I made with the same results.

Remember that if you tighten the wheel nuts to much you will put to much preload on the bearings not to count adding drag to the wheels rotating.
    Last edited by RevoMaxximus; 05-10-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Drive it like you stole it, till it breaks again! Revo with a 3.3, Tmaxx 3.3, 1 off custom Aluminum Tmaxx and Emaxx.

RC Champion
    I used some shoe goo on my stock nuts (same on my e clips) seem to hold up very well.

RC Enthusiast
    My friend had the same problem, the nuts would always back out when he ran(which is weird, i've had the same nuts since i bought my truck and no problems). He bought some new locking nuts(stock replacements) and hasent had a problem since.