Thread: plastic, euck#

RC Enthusiast

plastic, euck#

Is there any quick fix for a bulkhead that has the plastic stripped out (screw won't tighten)?

Other that alluminum... I want to get a set, but I'm waiting for the right deal.
    t-maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    Replacement stock bulkheads are pretty cheap and easy...or...you can attempt to pry/pull the screw up gently while loosening it...sometimes all it takes it to get a thread back into a groove...gentle is the key...or...you can attempt to drill it out and re-tap (appropriate sized tap and replacement screw needed). I have to say that the chance of success is pretty low with this one...the much softer plastic surrounding the screw will allow the drill bit to wander, destroying the plastic.

edit: I think bulkheads are like $10 at the LHS if I remember right.

RC Champion
    You could try using some teflon tape wrapped around the screw to make it slightly larger.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

You can put super glue in the hole just before you put the screw in, but it won't be easy to remove.

RC Qualifier
    Try using a screw with bigger threads
    email at generallee01luke@yahoo.com

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Rather than try to drill and tap you could get some self tapping screws. Warning, bigger screws mean a weak spot in the bulkhead.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOVERBOARD
    Rather than try to drill and tap you could get some self tapping screws. Warning, bigger screws mean a weak spot in the bulkhead.
    I wouldn't do that,if you put in a bigger screw,it means the chassy hole will have to be bigger,that will weaken it,and it could crack,I'd goop some glue in it for now.....then fix it..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkhead
    I wouldn't do that,if you put in a bigger screw,it means the chassy hole will have to be bigger,that will weaken it,and it could crack,I'd goop some glue in it for now.....then fix it..
    Depends on which hole he is talking about, but yes, I do agree with you. That is why I put the warning in. I wasn't saying to go get a big self tapping screw, Just slightly larger.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Qualifier
    The following works great- first of coat your screw with some paste wax, as well as the parts around the hole and whatever is being attached to the hole- wipe off the excess wax. Fill the hole about half way with some thick CA glue, then reattach the parts with the screw do not over tighten it. After the glue dries the hole will have threads in it, yet the screw will still release when turned because of the wax, the extra wax you applied around the area will prevent accidental bonding.

RC Racer
    Believe or not I have just found out in the last couple of weeks that if you take a little bit of cotton from a qtip and stuff it in the hole it will hold the screw like new. It works with both plastic and aluminum. I have run my sons Tmaxx with great results. And it is alot easier than teflon tape.