RC Racer

Tuning Help - LSN

I was out with the 3.3 T-maxx last night, and was having some problems tuning my LSN, so i reset the needles to factory, hsn= 4 turns out and lsn=flush. When i did this, the high speed was fine and i decided not to lean it out. then i started to focus on the lsn....even at flush, when i hit the throttle, it was sputter and bogging down. so i leaned it out and it didn't make too much of a difference, it still did the same except the odd time it pulled wheelies. so i decided to richen it up and it was doing the same thing....i am kind of confused as to what i need to do.

thanks!
    Stock T-Maxx 3.3 with a THS Racing Curved Tuned Pipe

RC poster
    I've had similar problems with my first 3.3 (it broke the conrod after overheating too much) Since it was my first nitro truck, I blamed it on inexperience. Now, I'm on 10 - 12 tanks on my 2nd engine and I am starting to get problems tuning too. I'm very paranoid now.

Here is my problem. I ran it about two weeks ago, everything was great. I did AR maintenance with WD40 and put it away. Yesterday, I take it out to drive it around and it start overheating and high idling (it keeps creeping forward). I try to lower the idle then it start cutting out. I let it cool down and try again. I make the HSN a little richer (4.5 turns, and richen out the LSN .5 turn.) It now has lost some performance but it seems to have more blue smoke soming out, however, I still can't get the thing to idle without it either cutting out or creep forward. Is there something I'm missing here?

Also, now it is real slow when I start (it takes about a second to start accelerating, no wheelies). I might lean out the LSN a bit to see if that fixes that problem.
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 05-19-2006 at 02:38 PM.

RC Champion
    It sounds as though the lsn is still too lean. Have you done the pinch test?
    LSU TIGERS-SIMPLY THE BEST!

RC Competitor
    .5 turn on the LSN is massive...you could easily go from too lean to too rich in 1/2 a turn...it's hard to be percise but everyone will tell you 1/16 of a turn at at a time on the LSN...and you MUST do high speed runs in between or you'll never see what your adjustment did before making your next and you'll just go back and forth from too lean to too rich... Pinch Test!!!!

RC Racer
    I was doing high speed runs in between adjustments. If i recall i was around 2 seconds before it would die on the pinch test.

RC Competitor
    2 sec. is to fast,I set mine to about 3-5,the low speed is just for throttle response,you shouldn't have to mess with it much,usually its the high speed needle that causes issues..if its to rich,it boggs,to lean,it cuts out..

Well if its bogging on accel its not lean.it would be to rich.if it cuts out at high speed it would be lean.reset to default make a few high speed runs.bring it in and tune lsn accordingly!very small turns at a time.with your lsn just right the front end wont stay on the ground.youll most likley have to reset your idle after you tune your lsn! dont forget your temp guage..
    454 bb maxx

RC Competitor
    Both lean and rich can cause bogging or hesitation off the line. Either by "loading up" (rich) or "starving out" (lean). If it cuts out at high speed, leave your LSN alone...over about 1/4 throttle the LSN has no bearing on running condition, it's all HSN at that point.

RC Racer
    thanks guys for all the tips and pointers...too bad it is raining otherwise i'd be out there tuning right now!