RC Racer

idle wont go down

hey guys i just want to say that im a new user, but ive been following the threads for awhile and this site is great..now on to the point..today i was using my s-maxx and i got a new carb becuase the old one had broke.. so when i put it in it all went good for about 3 tanks then the idle started getting really high.. so i took my screw driver and turned the idle screw CCW and it wouldnt go down one bit..the idle didnt change it stayed the same..so i shut it off and checked it the slide in the carb is shutting all the way and it was..so i am wondering if my LSN would be a little to rich or to lean??

thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    A lean LSN would give you a high idle. Also check your O-rings and see if you didnt damage one when you put your new carb on.
    If its broken fix it. If it aint broken you aint tryin hard enough.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you replace the o-ring seals on the carb and in the engine? Is the carb pushed against the engine and tight? A leak here will cause high idle symptoms.

If the engine idles fine, but then gets high/unsteady after a few minutes - check to see that your engine isn't overheating from a HSN that is too lean or inadequate air flow.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Racer
    i didnt replace the o-ring seals in the engine..i didnt know that i needed to..the idle wont go down at all i backed out the idle screw pretty far and the idle stayed the same..could i check if i had a air leak by spraying a little water where the carb and th block meet while the engine in running??

RC Qualifier
    lsn too lean man.
    all rpm,acnc brace,dynomite cvd's for all,trx3.3,trx blue tuned pipe,mip header,dynomite air filter,spektrum dx3,jr servos,big bore shocks,orion 1200 ni-mh, and a mailbox scar on every corner.
    respect,Adam Sandler.

RC Enthusiast

Clutch

I know that you just put on a new carb. but, the spring wrapped around the clutch came off on my sportmaxx causing the clutch to always be engaged.
    Just a thought.

.::Jato Man::.

RC Racer
    thanks guys for the help..i will try that stuff when i get some more gas and when it stops raining.

RC Racer
    dont use water use wd40 if your idle changes then thats the air leak but if its idling pretty high I dont know if it will change the rpm It might though.
    Can you feel that? It's nitro my boy!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy
    If the engine idles fine, but then gets high/unsteady after a few minutes - check to see that your engine isn't overheating from a HSN that is too lean or inadequate air flow.
    What do you mean by inadequate air flow?
    Sirio .23 T-maxx w intergry slids, and chassis braces. Traxxas tranny plate. MIP CVD's all around. Trinity blue springs all around. ALuminum shock caps. RPM shock towers. 240oz futaba steering servo. 120oz hi tec throttle. / 2.5R revo / 3.3 T-maxx<-- this thing is m-azing.

RC Competitor
    I had that problem before(when I first started)idle was way high,I later found out,like a couple people said above,the lsn was lean,I'd bet money its that..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ88
    What do you mean by inadequate air flow?
    Inadequate is a synonym for insufficient or not enough. Hes talking about something like if S-maxx2.5R hasnt cut out holes in his body yet. It wont get enough air moving across the cooling fins to cool the engine down.
    If its broken fix it. If it aint broken you aint tryin hard enough.

Definately sounds like tuning to me. LSN sounds like it's too lean. Most common thread out there I think. Everyone always wants to tune for performance and never touches their LSN.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    so i should tune my LSN, and make it a little rich?? how much of a turn should i do on the LSN??

I was having the same problem(high and inconsistant idle)I struggled with my LSN for quite a while(because it was my first nitro), but when i finally got it tuned everything was great. So yeah it's probably the LSN. Be carefull when your tuning the LSN because it's really sensitive. A quarter turn can be drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by trentmath
    I was having the same problem(high and inconsistant idle)I struggled with my LSN for quite a while(because it was my first nitro), but when i finally got it tuned everything was great. So yeah it's probably the LSN. Be carefull when your tuning the LSN because it's really sensitive. A quarter turn can be drastic.
    1/4 is drastic, should be no more than 1/8th a turn. Key is adjusting in small steps.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    thanks for the advice..i will do that as soon as i get gas and when the rain stops..its suppose to rain all to sunday..so its going to be awhile

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If the engine is running when the throttle is completely closed, you have an air leak somewhere. Even if your LSN was too lean, the engine should stop running if the slide is completely closed. Just wanted to remind you.
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Racer
    the slide isnt completely closed..there is like a 1-2 mm gap..and the idle wont go down