Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Exclamation Revo shocks & dual Thunder Tiger SSK tank setup *pics*

hey guys, i started to work on a 2.5 roller past winter, it had no tranny, no engine, only 1 servo, hot bodies shocks and a like new set of unglued tire, i took the shocks and the tires for my maxx(i had stock shock and my tires was unbalanced) and put my old set on the roller.. and me and my gf used the roller for spare parts untill i start to rebuild to whole thing.

ok here its how the "roller" is going, still unfinish though

trx 2.5
    Associated RPM Tuned side exhaust
    modded 4-tec v1 coupler
    O.S. Air Filter
    4 Revo GTR shocks
    dual Thunder Tiger SSK tank
    Traxxas 6v hump pack
    Traxxas 2055 throttle/brake servo
    Traxxas 2055 steering servo(gonna change for a better high torq steering servo later)
    3.3 tranny
    3.3 rx box
    3.3 optidrive
    3.3 servo mounts
    3.3 chassis brace
    3.3 front lower/upper a-arms
    3.3 skid plates(not installed yet)
    pro-line 40 series maxx-velocity

i still have to get some stuff to get it to work
    trx 2.5 pull-starter(i have some ez-start but its not even an option)
    center cvd
    spur and sliper
    brake
    bow tie tires
    and once the maxx will be operational i will put a FOC

the tanks are only double side taped yet, gonna drill holes for the tanks sometime soon. i have a brand new 2.5 chassis in case i mess it up anyways

the revo shocks work very good, the suspension is so smooth with those BIG/FAT shocks. that given abit of the look of the LST with his big over sized shocks, actualy it was just a try.. cause i though those shock was going to fit a 4-tec.. lol ouff i was wrong.. they are so big! then i put them around the maxx suspension and noticed they going to fit not bad so i given a try and here the result.. i like the look it give to the maxx with those big shocks, even with the reduced lenght of those shocks i can bottom out the skids and still lift the tires in air while the skids are stuck against the table, seem to work just fine

feel free to post any comments

RC Racer
    i like the look. never seen that shock set up before but nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Kool. I have never even thought of using revo shocks on a maxx. Good job.

RC Racer
    thx guys, traxxas should make GTR shocks for the maxx like those but longer, the revo one's are a bit on the short side for the maxx but they fit and that look good but now i still have to run the thing to see how this setup will going in real situation

RC Qualifier
    nice work... let us know how the dual tank set up works for you...
    My other handle is Junker99....

RC Qualifier
    i see your going to race, you should mount your batt. under the chassis and replace those steering servo mounts with 4 locknuts =)
    GA 2mm(ti) skids,GA 7075 bulkheads and braces, UE widetrac gen 2 (7075), UE k-head shocktowers(7075),UE steel 6mm cvds,TRX racing chassis 4mm(7075) ,TRX chassis braces, TRX chassis brace skid,TRX 3.3

RC Racer
    yeah it may look like im going to race.. but im not :/ infortunaly.. we dont have any track around.. i just wanted something different from my 2 other mt, and experiment how a racy setup will handle and stuff like that.

i though about getting a flat pack to fit it under the chassis and remove the steering servo mount, but i only have hump packs which is a liltle big to fit under the chassis!?!
    Last edited by DarkAngel; 07-08-2006 at 02:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    just to let u know that ur gonna have to replace batterys like crazy with that fail safe built in i have the tmaxx 3.3 and it knocks the tops off them like crazy so i thought i'd warn you before that happended but that truck looks awsome btw nice tires

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by paxapch3.3
    just to let u know that ur gonna have to replace batterys like crazy with that fail safe built in i have the tmaxx 3.3 and it knocks the tops off them like crazy so i thought i'd warn you before that happended but that truck looks awsome btw nice tires
    Urr...... OR you could just buy a humppack... They pay off in no time, I can run about 2L of fuel before it goes flat.

Great looking truck man!! It looks mean

RC Racer
    i dont think the opti drive drain that much current, and i bought the opti-drive v2 cause it as a built-in signal/volatge failsafe.. that mean less wires and cleaner setup than an external failsafe. whats draining the battery is the servos.. high torq servos can drain alot of amps, even a standard servo will peak near 1amp.

thx t-maxx+me=money

RC Racer
    Now that's the literal meaning of "FOAM TIRES"

Nice set up! And yup! I think it better to mount the batteries under the chassis.
    ME HOMESICK!!!

RC Racer
    what kind of body mounts are you using.
    no money+no job+broken trucks=rc depression

RC Racer
    the stock one's

u mean put the hump pack under the chassis? or a flat pack?

RC Qualifier
    Awesome model dude, I like the idea of dual fuel tank. Nice pics!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome model dude, I like the idea of dual fuel tank. Nice pics!!

RC Qualifier
    He means ,Flat Pack
    They always sound and run best, just before something happens...

RC Racer
    That looks pretty neat. Gives a nice lowrider look.
    :D

RC Racer

Update

i was bored yesterday and started to mod my stock 2.5 chassis, i removed some material around the exaust part, then completly deanodized the chassis with draino gel.. took 6-7 mins and i had a "whiteish" teint deanodized chassis, then i used some sort of metal polish.. but i still yet have to do a real good polish job.

brake, spur & slipper are on the way.. probly i gonna get them the next week.
    now i just need the pull-starter, tires, and center cvd

ok.. here the pics of my modded chassis, sorry about the quality.. i had to change the brightness/contrast it was too dark :/

you've done a really nice job of that chassis! you sure its the same one u took off lol

RC Racer
    thx shorty, and yep im sure its the same 1, well.. ive spent alot of time working with the dremel to do all the curves and wanot. at the moment i polish it.. it look alreayd 10x better than on those pics

I like the idea of the Revo shocks, but I have one concern there. Downtravel. I don't think you have very much downtravel in the a-arms with the revo shocks. Have you put any limiters on the arms. It might be something you'll want to do.

It looks very nice. I would love to hear how well your Revo Shock implants do.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    yes nitonaught your right... ive some concern about the downtravel as well.. actualy it doesnt have any downtravel at all :/ and like i said in my first post.. i can put the skid against the table and still lift the tire in air, so i have a little play that i can do something with.. it just a matter of fixing the shock a little highter on the arm to compensate for the short lenght of the shock.. so that way i can get some downtravel by reducing the pre-load and get the same height, i will try to make some adaptor for them. like i said, traxxas should definitivly make a 4 long GTR shock conversion kit for the maxx or something like that

if i put a limiter.. that will "reduce" the lenght even more.. and they are already on the short side.. i mean.. anything smaller will not fit anymore.. the arms are barely at 90deg, i would like around 88deg, and they are around 91deg.. but if i can make those adaptor i will be able to get those few degs and have a little downtravel..
    Last edited by DarkAngel; 07-13-2006 at 08:38 AM.

I would love to get a progress report on those shocks Dark. Sounds like this could be a new hot mod.

You know I love mods!
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    thx 3.3 tmaxx

yup i will keep you informed with that shock setup. if i can ever get that thing to run someday.. heh :P

on another note, i estamate i removed about the weight of 1 1/2 servos 2055, the 3 big chunks i cut first weight about the same of the servos 2055 + all the stuff i grinded with the dremel(that was alot of stuff just about everywhere on the floor ).. anyways.. i didnt though it was going to be that much weight

RC Qualifier
    Those shocks look pretty sweet but with like 1" of travel it prolly will handle horrible and you'll be blowing off shock caps till no tomorrow, I use the Racer X Supershocks, they look killer and are top notch stuff, I really like how your trucks looks man it's pretty sweet but as far as functionability goes it'll prolly be kinda lacking
    "I Used A Mailbox As A Brake Once...Then I Plowed It Right Over...Hmm Must Be A Supermaxx"

"People Say UE Is To Expensive, Then Again Never Having To Replace A Broken Part Is Priceless"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With that setup it looks to be more for on-road racing, so travel isn't going to be that important.

Your truck looks great, very nice job.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    yes nitonaught your right... ive some concern about the downtravel as well.. actualy it doesnt have any downtravel at all :/ and like i said in my first post.. i can put the skid against the table and still lift the tire in air, so i have a little play that i can do something with.. it just a matter of fixing the shock a little highter on the arm to compensate for the short lenght of the shock.. so that way i can get some downtravel by reducing the pre-load and get the same height, i will try to make some adaptor for them. like i said, traxxas should definitivly make a 4 long GTR shock conversion kit for the maxx or something like that

if i put a limiter.. that will "reduce" the lenght even more.. and they are already on the short side.. i mean.. anything smaller will not fit anymore.. the arms are barely at 90deg, i would like around 88deg, and they are around 91deg.. but if i can make those adaptor i will be able to get those few degs and have a little downtravel..

what if the shock tower was shorter? either way I think it looks sweet , and i think if a shorter shock tower could be used this may help , I did say " I think " let me know what you think ! ?
    What can I say.....Dust and Smoke screens Rule !Censorship Advocate ....

RC Racer
    well.. optimaxx. i guess those shocks are really nice but probly not in my range of price, im just trying to rebuilt that maxx differently of my other MT with the lowest budget possible, i was going to use the stock shocks, but i had those revo shocks so i give em a try, and actualy i can put a wheel on pepsi can while the 3 other wheels sit on the table.. i guess thats more that 1" + i didnt remove the blue stopper at the bottom of the shocks wich will give me abit more travel. and my other maxx with hot bodies shocks can barely do better than that

thx RCOVERBOARD, but im still going to run that thing offroad

.23sirio-tmaxx, thats an exellent idea, but where i gonna find a lower shocktower that will actualy fit the t-maxx, thats a good question! + the bodyposts should fit for the body

here a little pic of the stock maxx shock with revo shock, they doesnt not have a so big difference

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You could try to use the UE knucklehear towers. I have a set of them and they allow many more postions for shock mount. There are several holes lower than the stock towers. I got mine off ebay for $25. I am sorry about the on-road thing.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Racer
    Very cool!!!!! Love the shock idea!! I am using the stock T-Maxx shocks using the fuel tubing trick to shorten the length which works very well with racing on the converted tennis courts. I barely have enough room for a pencil to slide under. Gonna grab me a set of Revo shocks, like the threaded part to dial it in more. Let you know how it works out.
    E-Maxx - Stock
    Stampede - Resurrection

RC Racer
    You could also look at trimming off the bottom of your stock ones. Like this. Trim along the green lines and drill where the yellow dots are.

What's a signature?

OR you can make a plate to use on your existing shock towers. I'm not much of an artist but here's someting I whipped up as an idea.
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    NN that would pry be a better idea.
    What's a signature?

RC Racer
    np RCOVERBOARD, 100% agree that give it a on-road look setup, just stating that im building it for off-road purpose

Teknoron, thats cool... mine wont be operational before a month or so i guess, lets me know how its going on ur truck when u got them

clemet, very nice man + i have 2 shocktowers in my spare part box, i definitivly gonna try that. GJ on the idea, pic and drawing!!

RC Racer
    NN, ive had that idea of using the material i removed from the chassis to make those adaptor like on ur pic.. or on the a-arm, those i was talking in my previous post was on the a-arm.. but i though to make them on the shocktower too, defenitivly a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    NN, ive had that idea of using the material i removed from the chassis to make those adaptor like on ur pic.. or on the a-arm, those i was talking in my previous post was on the a-arm.. but i though to make them on the shocktower too, defenitivly a great idea
    Great minds think alike.lolll
    I think it would be stronger on the shock tower, caus you can tie into all 3 shock mounting holes on the tower. Trick is making the adapter the right length.
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    humm.. im not sure it will be stronger on the shocktower, if i go from what u said, there 4 holes on the a-arm to secure the adapter + it has plastic material on each side which IMO should be litle bit stronger.. and thats why i though about the a-arm first.. i can be wrong too.. but i definitivly gonna mod either the shocktower or make some adapter.. or mb both

My thoughts of strength was based on the fact that the a-arms take a beating, the top of the shock tower doesn't take it as much. Most the times I see shocks ripped out its at the a-arm side cause of the stress involved.

Who knows until you try though?
    All Lives Matter

RC Racer
    Ya if your into fab which it looks like you are then moddin the towers should work and still look stock.
    What's a signature?

RC Enthusiast
    My question, the material you took off the chassis, is that going to reduce the strength of the chassis? giving more chasis flex? is that a 2.5 chassis? the 3.3 chassis is 1mm thicker, right guys?
    T-maxx, Integy alluminum front bulkheads, A-arms, Revo axles, Carriers, turnbuckles, Alluminum skid plates throughout, Trx 3.3, OS TM .18 engine(semi-retired), and many more mods to come....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast