RC Competitor

Opti Drive question?

Ordered a center diff and have some questions about opti drive. In car action it tells you to unplug the opti drive reverse plug, Will that make the opti useless. I was told by a buddy to just take the whole opti drive out when taking out reverse. Will I have to buy a fail safe? Very confused!
    Its only money, Just jump it!!!

When you install the center differencial and rear brake, you must take out the transmission's reverse gears. Therefore, the Opti-drive and sensors are useless, as well as the reverse servo. You can take them all off.

It is still debated whether or not the Opti-drive fuctions as a fail-safe. Although it is described as a fail-safe unit on a Traxxas details page, some just have not had any luck with them, and can't seem to get them to work. If you did managed to get the Opti-drive fail-safe function working, taking it out will, as well, take out the fail-safe function. You will want a replacment fail-safe to take its place. Any general fail-safe should work.

Professor

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help, just got the revo two weeks ago. I have taken it to the local track once and it performed well. What will be the biggest change with the center diff installed? Is it worth taking the opti drive and reverse out. And yes I know if I want to race I cant use Reverse>
    Its only money, Just jump it!!!

If you race, it's definately worth it to take out the reverse gears of the transmission, and swap for a center differencial and rear brake kit. With the center differencial you will experience faster lap times because it will allow the truck to put power to the ground more efficiently, especially while turning.

Take out the reverse gears will also "free up" the transmission some because it will take away some of the rotating mass, giving you slightly greater acceleration. In addition, it lightens the truck, which is a plus for racing. A lighter and properly set-up truck is the fastest way around the track.

Take a look at Misbehavin's Center Differencial and Rear Brake Kit (part two), in the Revo 3.3 Review at the top of the Revo forum, for more detailed information about how the center differencial works, performs, and how to install it. This is the direct link.

Professor