RC Enthusiast

Bigger tire diameter = Higher speed?

Hi!
    I'm thinking about if i put the biggest diameter tire (which is the Moab i think) to the rear wheels it has to be result a higher top speed. Is it true?
    Jato 3.3+dual chamber resonator

RC Qualifier
    no, your tires will cover more ground with one rotation but you will also be addding more rotational mass which means the engine will work harder to spin them, so if your doing 35 at 1/2 throttle with the stock tires you may have to give it 3/4 throttle to get there with moabs. my understanding of the jato you prob won't shift into second without changing the spur gear/clutch bell.

RC Racer
    it actually will give you a higher top end, but at the same time your acceleration will be slower, and your engine will have to work harder. search the other threads for the gear ratio for larger tires.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by marojato
    my understanding of the jato you prob won't shift into second without changing the spur gear/clutch bell.

Theres an adjustable shift point, you can make it shift with any size tires.
    "People are strange, When you're a stranger." The Doors
    Here's my Jato Racing Thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=314881

RC Enthusiast
    I have masher 2000 on my jato which are 5.35" but they make it dog and run exremely hot I have put a 58 tooth spur gear on to replace but I still need either a 20 tooth bell or an 18 tooth bell to get the acceleration back but will probably also need wheelie bar cause the bigger tires make it cat walk all the time (all weight on the back). I wiehed my tires on the scale at work the masher 2000 are almost a half pound each

RC poster
    Actually, I don't think moabs are the biggest any more. I found these Imex ones. Check them out, they are a half inch bigger in ride height and width.

They are the All-T tires. you will will have to scroll down a little, they are on the left side of the page. Here is link. What does everybody think. Is there any unforseen problems with these?

http://www.imexrc.com/2.2TIRES_NEW.htm

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so it's not a good method to gain more top end cause i must change the gearing.
    Jato 3.3+dual chamber resonator